Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

Leveling, Problems and Suggestions

atlantabrave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By atlantabrave04

So we all know that there are problems with the leveling system. Enemies get tougher as your level increases, sometimes making the game unnecessarily difficult if you don't manage your character correctly. Also, it is possible ot reach a maximum level if all your major skills reach 100. So what are some things you guys have done to get around the leveling issue. I've heard many different things. Some people suggest leveling up all your minor skills first so that you have them at 100 when you finally max out your level. What do you guys think is the best way to progress through the leveling system?
    eyehook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By eyehook

It's been awhile since I played, so all of this could be wrong...  If you MUST have max everything, then level your secondary skills 5 times (I think that's it) for each attribute you want to increase each level.  That way you'll get max stats.  But really, obsessing over that just sucks the fun out of the game (at least for me).  I think the best way to do it is to just make sure you have an even distribution of primary skills (definitely with some that level more slowly; e.g., mercantile skill).  Basically you want to level slowly and naturally, which, of course, is contrary to our instincts to powerlevel like crazy.  Also if you reach a point where the auto-leveled mobs are just too tough for you, learn alchemy.  Your ability to make good poisons/healing potions/etc. aren't limited by your level, so a good alchemy skill can definitely even the playing field (or even tip it in your favor).  But, bottom line, just make a character that you think is fun and play him/her without worrying about levels and you'll get the most out of the game, imho.
    AzureSupernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By AzureSupernova

Yeah, if you really don't want to get into the psychotic habbit of keeping a diary next to your bed that contains all of your characters skill increases, then I suggest you just play through and just try and keep levelling at a slow natural pace. If you find the enemies are starting to rape you, there's no shame in adjusting the difficulty bar if you're just playing for funsies. If however you ARE one of those perfectionists, the UESP has some great tips on helping you out there! BUT, be prepared to pour in stupid amounts of time on training! The methods indicated on the page can really break the flow of the gameplay and make it feel like a chore to keep up with the leveled enemies in game. If you don't wish to go through all that hassle though, the one thing I suggest you should do is just note the rate of the leveled enemies (as some have fixed levels and will not increase at all). If you know the rate at which certain enemies level, any quests that involve said leveled enemies as primary targets or fodder, can be attempted at Level 1 with relative ease (and decent equipment). 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.