Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

Other 1st person RPG's

switchit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By switchit

I enjoyed Oblivion and Fallout 3 a hell of a lot, mostly because of the 1st person view (also the music, looting, lvl'ing exploring etc.) and i have a hard time finding similar games. 

Any suggestions? Much appreciated!

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By donchipotle

Morrowind.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Pazy

The original 3 (Main Series) Elder Scroll's games could be an option, Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind would be the easiest to go back to but Elder Scrolls 1 - Arena and Elder Scrolls 2 - Daggerfall are free on the Elder Scrolls Website.

Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ubiquitous
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    "Morrowind. "

What he said.

PC? check out stalker (completely different, but still a freeroamy FPS with RP mechanics)
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Ghostiet

Deus Ex.

Khemitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Liber
    switchit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By switchit

I've tried to get into Morrowind but it's really hard with the travelspeed and not being able to fast travel. There really isn't any other games quite like Oblivion and Fallout 3?

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@switchit said:

" I've tried to get into Morrowind but it's really hard with the travelspeed and not being able to fast travel. There really isn't any other games quite like Oblivion and Fallout 3? "

Mods my friend. They (the good ones anyway) remind one how great pc gaming can be. 

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/static.php?page=Morrowind&game=3
    Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Damian
    Borderlands

Not much story or exploring. But surely some looting in first-person.
    coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By coaxmetal

My first thought was Morrowind, of course, as nothing is more like an Elder Scrolls game than another Elder Scrolls game. Mechanically, Morrowind and Oblivion are almost identical, and while Oblivion is obviously technically superior, I found Morrowind to be a much better game, in terms of setting and story. Of course, you can (and should) mod the shit out of both.

whyzenheimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By whyzenheimer

Might and Magic IV and V combined to create the World of Xeen.  Before Elder Scrolls, there was nothing near its depth.

Lucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lucifer

Vampire the masquerade-bloodlines. It's pretty rare I hear, but you can get it of steam for 20 bucks. Remember that it is buggy as hell so an unoffical patch by WESP is pretty much a must since troika studios shut down.

some1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By some1

Just wait till FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS! (can you tell that I'm excited?) 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrKlorox

It's not quite first person, but Virtual Hydlide on the Sega Saturn was amazing for its time and a precursor to many modern games as a behind-the-player RPG.

And the STALKER series ( SoC or CoP, not CS so much)  is more of an RPG than Borderlands, even if one has experience and the other doesn't. In fact I'm pretty fucking offended nobody mentioned it yet. Start there, but wait for a Steam sale then download the "Complete" mod. 

As I always say "It's ROLE-playing game, not ROLL-playing game." Stats don't make an RPG, so leave the dice to pen and paper.

But yeah Vampire Bloodlines is excellent too. I liked it a lot more than Fallout 3; made by the true ex-Fallout guys.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Jadeskye
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By penguindust
    Fontan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fontan
    @Lucifer said:

"Vampire the masquerade-bloodlines. It's pretty rare I hear, but you can get it of steam for 20 bucks. Remember that it is buggy as hell so an unoffical patch by WESP is pretty much a must since troika studios shut down. "

Unofficial "True" Patch v5.04AT 

Wesp's patch v7.0

You will find never-ending argument on which one is better. The former says it doesn't add anything different, just restores code already withing the game, even though the latter has an option for that too. It also includes some modifications, if you're willing. I recommend reading about both. 

I played Vampire through with both of them and I liked Wesp's a bit more. Also, it seems the "True" patch has stopped updating, whereas Wesp's realesead this new version a couple of months ago.  

Anyway, it is an excellent game sadly released incomplete. These patches will solve that problem.
    myalt22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By myalt22
    fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#20  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
    @switchit said:

" I enjoyed Oblivion and Fallout 3 a hell of a lot, mostly because of the 1st person view (also the music, looting, lvl'ing exploring etc.) and i have a hard time finding similar games.   Any suggestions? Much appreciated! "

Most of the really good first person RPG's (except the TES games and Fallout 3) are traditional turn-based RPG's. The genre was extremely popular in the 80's and 90's with classics like the Wizardry series, Might & Magic series, Bard's Tale and dozens of Amiga titles.

Of the ones I've tried, the last 3 Wizardry games are the ones that have held up best, especially Wizardry 8, which came out in 2001, and plays in a semi-turn-based mode, and is really, really hard.

The Wizardry games were and still are very popular in Japan (I've read that the game mechanics inspired the active time battle system in the final fantasy games), and they still make licensed Wizardry titles over there, and one of them has been imported to the US and EU (I think by Atlus) - Wizardry: Tale of the forsaken land for the PS2, and while it isn't as good or open as Wizardry 8 - which was not too far away from the open world style of the Bethesda games, while W:TofFL is a pure dungeon crawler - I've really been enjoying it.

I could also recommend the 2000 release of  Wizards & Warriors, by some of the people behind the earlier Wizardry games. Graphics wise it has held up really well in my opinion, but it is extremely buggy and unstable. If you're used to Bethesda RPG's, you could probably get used to the W&W bugs too, but there are a lot of them, if I remember correctly the game could only be played in 640x480 or 800x600, even though it had options for higher resolutions - the "hitboxes" for the menus didn't align with the menu item placements otherwise.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Cwaff
    fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#22  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Was Vampire the Masquerade a first person RPG?

It's been a long time since I played any of them, and I only own Redemption, but I can only remember it as a third person point and click RPG, where you could go into first person mode just to look around, but not actually do anything,  you still had to click on the ground where you wanted to go, which just became a lot harder when you saw the ground at a steep angle instead of from above..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.