Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Do we really need DLC for Skyrim?

• 85 results
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

I don't know fi you know this, but Skyrim has a bunch of stuff to do in the game. The amount of content you get in this game is incredibly immense, most games now don't even provide 10 hours of single player content let alone the 100's of hours you can easily get in Skyrim. So with all of this content for Skyrim, do you really need DLC? I mean when the DLC comes out, will anybody have done EVERYTHING in Skyrim?

UPDATE - I have since changed my mind and really want DLC..

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By sopranosfan

yes. i have done most of fun stuff on disc

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By ssj4raditz

I spent over 200 hours in Skyrim. I think I don't really need DLC. Also, if they were going to do some, shouldn't it have been out by now anyway?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hizang

@ssj4raditz: Oh no its without question that there will be DLC, same with Oblivion they spent so much time and money into making this world, that they may as well get some extra money out of it.

I'm expecting Horse armour.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By wrighteous86

Did they announce DLC for this? Where is this coming from? Or did you just feel the urge to create a new thread and this was the first thing that popped in your head?

Besides, your point is moot since they said DLC will be more like an Expansion Pack with it's own mini-story and location anyway. I think questlines and areas with that much attention would surely be better than the dozens of fetch-quests people might be skipping.

They've already hinted that the Expansions would be mini-sequels anyway, taking place in the worlds from Morrowind and Oblivion, whole different countries.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @ssj4raditz said:

I spent over 200 hours in Skyrim. I think I don't really need DLC. Also, if they were going to do some, shouldn't it have been out by now anyway?

Rumors are we return to Morrowind. 
    Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By MariachiMacabre

No but goddamn do I want it.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hizang

@Wrighteous86: No DLC has been announced, but I think that there will be (Opinion) and I asked the question if there was do we really need it. And the type that you said is exactly the kind I don't think we need, why do we need another questline/faction where there are already so many.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BraveToaster

I never need DLC, but I want it. I've spent a lot of time playing Skyrim and I want to play more of it. Lucky for me, there are tons of people who feel the same way that I do.

@ssj4raditz said:

That depends on how big the DLC will be. Besides, Bethesda wanted to fix the game's bugs before they released DLC. Bethesda states that the DLC will be more like expansion packs, which is why they are taking so long.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Spoonman671

If the DLC is better than the content I've yet to get through, then yes.

Schatzy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Schatzy23

I disagree. I would love to see some proper DLC for Skyrim. Something like the Knights of the Nine or the Shivering Isles from Oblivion would be awesome.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hizang

@Schatzy23 said:

I disagree. I would love to see some proper DLC for Skyrim. Something like the Knights of the Nine or the Shivering Isles from Oblivion would be awesome.

Ok so Shivering isle was awesome I will admit, but I really did not care for Knights of the Nine.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BraveToaster

@Hizang said:

@Wrighteous86: No DLC has been announced, but I think that there will be (Opinion) and I asked the question if there was do we really need it. And the type that you said is exactly the kind I don't think we need, why do we need another questline/faction where there are already so many.

Would a Skyrim quest line to find a cure for your imaginary HPV be right up your alley?

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ssj4raditz
    @BraveToaster: Ah, understandable. I must just be spoiled by other things with day one DLC and the like... *cough* Mass Effect 3 *cough*
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By AlexW00d

More missions, fuck no. An expansion a-la Shivering Isles, sure thing.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By wrighteous86

@BraveToaster said:

@Hizang said:

Would a Skyrim quest line to find a cure for your imaginary HPV be right up your alley?

Or an in-game app that lets you find all the possible gay romances (except the Asian ones, of course)?

EDIT: [A reference to a thread Hizang made, just to be clear]

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By matthias2437

Why is this even a question. Of course we need DLC for Skyrim, any story based DLC Bethesda makes and releases will be more fun than any mods that come out. (not bashing the mod community, since I love mods, but Bethesda has far more resources to create this content)

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BraveToaster

@Wrighteous86 said:

@BraveToaster said:

@Hizang said:

Or an in-game app that lets you find all the possible gay romances (except the Asian ones, of course)?

But you can only romance up to 3 NPC's.

Hilbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hilbert

How about a huge expansion pack filled with bug fixes, and a removal of the insulting rpg system?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By AhmadMetallic

90 hours in, I haven't even started yet. I'm taking my sweet time with this masterpiece reeeeeal slow, adding a couple of mods every week, I'm loving it. 
    Will not need DLC for it for another year.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By laserbolts

Man you make alot of stupid threads. Yes there should be Skyrim DLC because I want it. I did all the important stuff in the game so I need an excuse to get back into it.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By wrighteous86

@laserbolts: It's like he's made a quota for himself. Like he decides, "I should make a thread", and then looks around his room until something pops in his head, no matter how non-sequitor or random.

I'll do it now...

New Thread: Do you think Halo 4 should have The Rookie from ODST team up with the Master Chief?

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mandude

If the DLC is like a full expansion pack that adds an entirely new place, I'm all for it, but if it's just a quest or a few items that take place in the already existing world, then no thank you. The quests are pretty bland as it is, so I can't imagine new ones adding anything more to the game.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they want me playing again, yep.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By rollingzeppelin

Seeing as my character became unstoppable after level 30 I would love some new content with tougher enemies to actually be a challenge in this game. I got bored since there was no longer danger. Also asking this is like asking if we need any new games period, we have 1000s of hours of entertainment already produced so why do we need more? Games by their nature are a luxury item there is no 'need' for any of them.

I need food, water and shelter. I want new Skyrim content.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hizang

@BraveToaster said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

@BraveToaster said:

@Hizang said:

But you can only romance up to 3 NPC's.

Funnily enough, my female is a lesbian as I married some random girl in Windhelm. She cooks me homemade pie every day, thats pretty awesome :P

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By viking_funeral

See, this would be, based on the conjecture here, my favorite type of DLC.

Skyrim is a self-contained game. There is more than enough for anyone to do, and nothing was cut for the sake of Day 0 DLC. (*cough* EA *cough*). Hopefully, and as speculation has suggested, this will be DLC in the vein of Bloodmoon or the Shimmering Isles - self contained, large enough to be justified, and not necessary for the enjoyment of the original game.

If you don't want DLC because you aren't done with the original game, and this DLC isn't necessary for that game or change it in significant way, then is it really doing you any harm by it (theoretically) existing? Don't play it, let the rest of us that did 100% in Skyrim enjoy it, and it will be there if & when you are ready for it.

In a weird way, it's like complaining about mods for Skyrim. None are necessary, but all can add to your experience.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Master_Funk

Yes because Skyrim is incredible and I've finished most of the content. Hopefully the Morrowind rumours are true.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I want more spells or something, I find Skyrim's skill sets to be woefully shallow.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

this will be a expansion pack, im guessing a new island and storyline 20 bucks.

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By M_Shini

I have no idea what obvlivion had except the horse armour thing and the expansions, but if there's more of that minus the horse armour bring it on, nothing wrong with some good quality, optional expansion disc/dlc.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hizang

@KittyMeggerz said:

I have no idea what obvlivion had except the horse armour thing and the expansions, but if there's more of that minus the horse armour bring it on, nothing wrong with some good quality, optional expansion disc/dlc.

• Shivering Isle Expansion - The one good thing.
    • Knights of the Nine.
    • Vampire Lair.
    • Mages Tower.
    • Biggest Dungeon in game + Merunes Razor.
    • Horse Armour
    • Pirate ship.

All of them were overpriced for what they were, apart from Shivering isle of course.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FritzDude

Horse armor pack

Horse armor pack makes a fine triumphant return to The Elder Scrolls series in this first downloadable content for the critically acclaimed The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim. It will introduce players with a bonding with their favorite horse and give them the extra care they need to survive the hard unforgiving lands of Skyrim. For only 2100 Bethesda Points you get a brand new horse called Todd, 4 unique armor sets for your favorite horse and a brand new questline with you and your horse on a pilgrimage to find the 'ancient Mud Crab'™. Grab your saddle on June 6th 2012!

NO REFUNDS

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By Lukeweizer

Just don't buy it. Problem solved.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hizang

@Lukeweizer: I probably will, but not because I need it, because I want it.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Vexxan

Well, we don't really need it but hey, why not? :) Eventually one should run of of things to do in that game...maybe.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
    whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

While it does have alot of content, the scenery can get repetitive. The tier of weapons can be reached and you can become over-powered by level 30 to the point it's not worth continueing to play.

Avatar image for presidentofjellybeans
    PresidentOfJellybeans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just remember that if they do release dlc, to not download it right away. Bethesda has a grand tradition of breaking their games with dlc/patches. Not saying I won't get the dlc, just gonna wait and make sure it works first ;)

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By BaneFireLord

Regardless of whether we want it or not, they're making it (Todd Howard all but said that at the DICE keynote). Also, I want it. I really, really want it, especially if it's a Shivering Isle-size pack, rather than a Fallout 3 3-hour quest pack.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#40  Edited By JasonR86

Yes. I've done all the things I want to do in the game but wouldn't mind going back into that world. I'm not going to do the radiant-AI stuff because those missions are tedious and boring. I would like DLC instead.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love Skyrim DLC, spent over 100 hours with the game, done every questline, got every shout, and maxed out my character.

That should tell you all you need to know really, a lot of us have spent a lot of time in this world, and I for one spent several years desperately waiting to enter it. I'd love any excuse to go back and I think Bethesda have more of a right than most to be making DLC.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll only play the DLC if it lets you respec your skills

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim DLC would be awesome if it was A Shivering Isles-esque expantion pack, adding gear, spells, and a whole other area that isnt really important in the main game. 
    My only problem is that Skyrim doesnt have the AI leveling system Oblivion did, which means your character would have to be a cirtain level to even think about surviving the DLC , and if you were over leveled it would make the content really easy. The thing I liked about Shivering Isles is that you could literally go there as a brand new character and experience the content the same was as if you were a maxed out character.  That's also one of the reasons I think Oblivion is a better game, but I seem to be the only man in the universe who thinks so, but I wont get into that...

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I initially thought "No." when I read the title... but if they release some good DLC akin to Shivering Isles or whatever in Oblivion and it's a very well done questline then I will definitely think about picking it up. Being only 42 hours into Skyrim, though, I've barely even touched it. I have kind of done most of the quest lines that I know about and care about with the character I have. I just have the Companions left to do and whatever the fighter's guild equivalent in this is. Though I may start a new character...

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#45  Edited By AndrewB

It's not like they can't come up with a reason to get me to say yes, but at the moment I'm happy with the amount of content and the time I spent with Skyrim. It was an amazing game, but I'm done with it. I think...

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#46  Edited By Brackynews

I'm expecting Horse Dragon armour.

There, now I'd pay $3 for that.

How about a huge expansion pack filled with bug fixes, and a removal of the insulting rpg system?

So you want it to just install Dragon Age II? So crazy it might work. ;p

Funning aside, they will certainly want DLC to satisfy console gamers and give something to bundle in a "GOTY edition" SKU. Look at that internal gamejam sizzle reel. All that awesome insane stuff done in a week, AFTER finishing the game.

And I disagree somewhat with the notion that Bethesda has "far more resources to create content". Arguably like any massive dev team they don't have enough, because they must A) focus, and B) do it from top to bottom (or soup to nuts if you prefer). They can do scale and scope far better than modders, with voice, music, new mechanics, etc. But Skyrim has modders who have sunk 400+ hours into the game, and some are on a personal crusade to "fix" aspects of the game they claim Bethesda ignored. You can't put a price tag on that kind of passion to solve ONE thing, and it absolutely does improve the game.

Multiply that by literally hundreds of worthwhile mods... and thanks to Steam Workshop they could in fact cherry pick "bundles" of mods to serve as free UGC expansions. If only that philosophy worked on the consoles.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I want DLC. The stuff people are talking about where the DLC would be expansion pack sized and have you return to places like Morrowind or Cyrodiil sounds awesome.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By kindgineer

@Hizang said:

To extend the game? You sound like you haven't had your morning coffee or something Hizang, lol. That question is absolutely loopy.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MrKlorox

Yes. A couple of super focused narratives in new areas could be great.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MikeGosot

No game needs DLC. That's why i never buy DLC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.