Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

"Fan Interview" with Bethesda

• 61 results
    sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By sreya92

^don't know why you have parentheses there but okay. One disc would be ideal but I can easily see this being more than one so I'm hoping they soon confirm that one is an install disc MS be damned

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Does anyone know if there will be werewolves or vampire houses?  Cuz it would be totally bitchin' if Skyrim had a bunch of Nordic vampires and/or werewolves.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Aishan
    @TheDudeOfGaming: The first question is most likely asking about werewolves. The fact that they're keeping it so close to the chest suggests it's likely.
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By JP_Russell

The question I'd most like to pose to Bethesda about Skyrim, I think, is how conjuration will work in regards to the whole "put the same spell in both hands to make it more powerful" thing.  I love summoning pets, so I find conjuration to generally be the most fun skill to play around with in ES.  One of my favorite things to do in Oblivion is enter a dungeon full of bandits/marauders, sending wave after wave of summoned minions after them while I stay hidden in the shadows, watching them get cut down to the undead and daedric invaders seemingly coming out of nowhere.  So I'm really curious how summon spells will work in Skyrim under the new system.   

There are a lot of possibilities.  Assuming summons still work by lasting for a short duration before disappearing, you could make it so that summoning a creature with both hands would negate its duration and make it permanent, but only as long as you didn't switch either of your hands to anything else, or the spell would end.  Or, assuming you still can normally only have one summon out at a time, you could make it so that using both hands would summon more than one of the creature simultaneously (perhaps two creatures initially, then three after a perk).  I know a lot of people wished you could summon multiple creatures in Oblivion, and this could be a way to supplement that. 

Of course, there's also the much simpler possibility of having the summoned creature just come in with more hit points and damage when summoned with both hands, but I really hope they don't go that route.  It would be terribly uninteresting and kind of heart-breaking for me, knowing how much more they could do with it under the new magic system.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By Aishan
    @JP_Russell: You know, I'd never thought about playing that way. Playing the puppet-master and having all your minions do the dirty work. In all the time I've spent with Elder Scrolls games, I've never really put much time into Conjuration, I think I might just have to try that out for Skyrim. 

Your main point, however, is an interesting one. It's obvious how they'll handle "dual-wielding" spells when it comes to the basics: more damage, more healing, bigger explosions; but I do have to wonder what they'll do to the more practical sorts of spells. Your idea with Conjuration sounds great, making it a permanent (until death) ally; which, I too, hope is the route they go instead of just making it last longer or be more powerful.  Then there's other issues: how will it affect Water-Breathing or Water-Walking? Just a longer duration? Same with spells like Charm Person or Open. There's only so much you can do with those sorts of spells, namely duration or magnitude. I wouldn't pin my hopes too much on each "dual-wield" spell having a unique property - it just seems like it wont work for the work for the majority of the utility spells.
    bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By bioblood22
    @JP_Russell: Great question and I like the idea, I felt that in Oblivion the summoning was kinda underdone, rarely as a high level mage would just one summon kill anything normaly I'd have to summon over again if not over and over again just to kill something, maybe making your summons a little bit more powerful or having them level with you would be nice so they wouldn't die as easy like they did in Oblivion. But Great question/ideas.
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By JP_Russell
    @Aishan said:
    @JP_Russell: You know, I'd never thought about playing that way. Playing the puppet-master and having all your minions do the dirty work. In all the time I've spent with Elder Scrolls games, I've never really put much time into Conjuration, I think I might just have to try that out for Skyrim.  Your main point, however, is an interesting one. It's obvious how they'll handle "dual-wielding" spells when it comes to the basics: more damage, more healing, bigger explosions; but I do have to wonder what they'll do to the more practical sorts of spells. Your idea with Conjuration sounds great, making it a permanent (until death) ally; which, I too, hope is the route they go instead of just making it last longer or be more powerful.  Then there's other issues: how will it affect Water-Breathing or Water-Walking? Just a longer duration? Same with spells like Charm Person or Open. There's only so much you can do with those sorts of spells, namely duration or magnitude. I wouldn't pin my hopes too much on each "dual-wield" spell having a unique property - it just seems like it wont work for the work for the majority of the utility spells.

Hmm, you could probably do something interesting with most of them, with some ingenuity.  For water walking, perhaps make it so that you actually run faster on water than on land.  Could make the waterways a means of faster travel when not using a horse, or could allow you to outrun some enemy chasing you that can swim (risking putting away your weapon/offensive spell for a moment to do so), or just plain get across a large body of water faster.  Honestly, I've never liked water walking (Why am I doing this instead of just swimming, again?), but this would give a meaningful reason for me to actually use it (though so would having actually dangerous underwater enemies that you don't want to be in the water with).

I'm not really sure about water breathing.  If they're still handling spells where there are multiple water breathing spells of varying durations, then I'm not sure what else meaningful you could do besides increasing duration.  But I get the impression they may be simplifying (improving) the spell system to consist more strictly of functional differences (so instead of various fireball spells that just do different amounts of damage, there might be a fireball, a flamethrower, a giant fireball, a wall of fire, etc.), in which case there may be only one spell for water breathing.  In that case, you could make the dual-wielded version work the same way as summoning; permanent so long as you didn't change either hand, giving you lasting water breathing at the cost of not being able to combat underwater enemies. 

Charm is trickier and less obvious.  Perhaps the regular version gives its normal charm effect at no consequence, as per usual.  The dual-wielded version, then, could drastically raise disposition at the cost of a disposition drop after the effect ends (I.E., the spell was so strong that the person could tell you did something to them afterward and was offended).  It also kind of depends on whether they still make a distinction between charm, calm, and command spells this time around.  If they combine them, then they could have charm have a calm effect in combat normally, and a command effect when dual-wielded.  That's just a brainstorming idea, though; I'm neither for or against it.

Too hard to say what you could do with an open spell as it depends heavily on how locks and lockpicking work this time, which we know nothing about. 

The main way to design it with utility spells would be to give a reason to use either version of the spell, through some combination of tradeoffs and alternative/extra effects.  If it were just a higher duration or magnitude all the time, even if it came at increased mana costs, it seems to me like that'd be kind of broken as there would be virtually no reason to ever use the single-handed version.
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Pibo47

khajiit must have claws, nuff said.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By JP_Russell
    @bioblood22 said:
    @JP_Russell: Great question and I like the idea, I felt that in Oblivion the summoning was kinda underdone, rarely as a high level mage would just one summon kill anything normaly I'd have to summon over again if not over and over again just to kill something, maybe making your summons a little bit more powerful or having them level with you would be nice so they wouldn't die as easy like they did in Oblivion. But Great question/ideas.

Yeah, I agree.  Unfortunately, NPC enemies, ogres, minotaur lords, and a few other enemies level with you endlessly in Oblivion, so even the top summons start to feel underwhelming at a certain point.  Having your summons level with you in some way could work and I could easily mod the game with the CS to work that way, but unfortunately it would affect enemies' summoned creatures, too (someone with actual modding skills could probably make your summon spells and creatures be separate from those of NPC's, though).  I don't think that'll be a problem in Skyrim, though, as Bethesda has gotten a lot better with the leveling stuff.
    TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#60  Edited By TorMasturba

@Aishan: You bastard you made me go all nostalgic for Oblivion, now I have to enjoy doing every single thing in the game ALL OVER AGAIN!

Wait... Why am I annoyed, this's a good thing, thankyou kind sir, you've just saved me a tonne of cash for the next couple of months because I'll be too busy playing Oblivion again to notice new games (Unless L. A. Noire comes out on the PC any time soon). Either way you're followed.

PS: Scratch the above, I haven't played New Vegas much yet, I'll use my enthusiasm for the atmosphere of Bethesda games to bolster my playing of F: NV instead. Thanks again.

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By bioblood22
    @TorMasturba: If you're cool with no replay value then keep an eye out for LA N if you're not then I wouldn't even worry about it coming to PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.