Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

just can't get into skyrim :-(

JReich087

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JReich087

I keep trying to get into skyrim but i just can't! I dominated and lived my life around oblivion and ive been waiting years for the next elder schrolls to come out but i find my self just bored when i play it......is this a curse? I mean i use to have dreams obout the game and now thats its here i dont even want to play it? Is this happening to anyone else? On the others hand I am on my fourth playhthrough and up too almost 250 hours in dark souls.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NTM

Eh, yeah. I couldn't get into it either. My brother let me borrow it back on Christmas, and I'm not sure if it was because I was into other games at the time, but I just couldn't get into it at that time or after. It really bored me as well. I wasn't exactly excited about the game before release, but I know a great game when I play one, and to me, Skyrim isn't one. There is some neat stuff in it, but it wasn't anything for me to get excited over.

I kind of felt like I had played that game before, and it wasn't something I wanted to play again, or at least, not that one. I didn't post anything on any other Skyrim thread, because I felt like every single person fell in love with this game and I didn't need to add my opinion, but it blows me away that people could get so into it. To me there was just so much wrong with it, not including the bugs, but those definitely didn't help.

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ulain

@JReich087: I was looking forward to it as well, and got bored very quickly with the fact that the game was becoming less about exploring and more about interactions of boring NPCs and buying materials to make your own armor instead of finding it yourself.

What exactly are you bored with? It might clear some of the air if you go in expecting something different from what the game actually offers you.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By mordukai

@JReich087: I didn't play Skyrim yet but I know the situation you are in. Best thing to do is to put it away for a month or two, get Dark Souls out of your system and then come back to it. It's obvious that right now Skyrim is not what you want so forcing yourself to play it will do more harm. Play Dark Souls until you think you think you got what you wanted out of it then go back to Skyrim. If on your second try you are still uninterested then just accept the fact that Skyrim is just not interesting enough for you and let it be.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#5  Edited By galiant

@JReich087 said:

I keep trying to get into skyrim but i just can't! I dominated and lived my life around oblivion and ive been waiting years for the next elder schrolls to come out but i find my self just bored when i play it......is this a curse? I mean i use to have dreams obout the game and now thats its here i dont even want to play it? Is this happening to anyone else?

You could just be burned out on this type of experience, it seems to be a common issue. I had problems getting into Oblivion, since I was late to the party and everything felt old and clunky (not to mention the low number of voice actors). Skyrim fixed all of the problems I had with Oblivion though and I had a great time with it.

You should probably just give it some time! Maybe you'll feel an urge to play an Elder Scrolls game again in a couple of months, and until then just play something you're interested in right now instead. There's no point playing a game if you're not having fun with it.

@Ulain said:

the fact that the game was becoming less about exploring and more about interactions of boring NPCs and buying materials to make your own armor instead of finding it yourself.

That's not a fact. Did you even play Skyrim?

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By phrali

it is apparently impossible to play skyrim after dark souls. the combat in skyrim just seems so empty and shallow.

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Storms
    @phrali: Hardly. It's called 1st person. That other series bores me to death because it doesn't feel like I live in that world, just visit it to kill and be killed. 

@Ulain: There's no more or less dialogue in Skyrim than in previous entries to the series, and no one forces you to take up Smithing. But I've found way more to explore than in Oblivion. 

@JReich087: Not me. I live in Skyrim. And don't like the shtick of Dark Souls. Killkillkillkill... *yawn* I prefer a game where I can read a ton of books. 
    Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Grimluck343

I played the loving shit out of Morrowind and then hated Oblivion. I can understand not being able to get into the series.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EvilTwin
    @phrali said:

it is apparently impossible to play skyrim after dark souls. the combat in skyrim just seems so empty and shallow.

I've done the impossible.  Ask me anything guys.
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Grimluck343 said:

I played the loving shit out of Morrowind and then hated Oblivion. I can understand not being able to get into the series.

I'm the exact opposite. I couldn't get into Morrowind but not for the reasons you might think (clunky combat, et cetera). It had more to do with the world itself. I can appreciate that they went balls-out crazy with the design of Vvardenfell, but on the whole I really didn't enjoy the aesthetic and how alien it felt. It was kind of a mix of Through the Looking Glass and a 2001 inspired acid trip.

As for Skyrim in particular, I don't know. A lot of the dialogue felt like pure exposition. These NPCs had names, sure, but overall they felt like MMO quest-givers instead of people in a living, breathing world. In Oblivion, I can tell you of a dozen memorable characters (not including the likes of Sheogorath), and the same goes for Fallout 3. Skyrim... I'm struggling to think of one besides the leader of the Greybeards. I still loved all the exploration and dungeon crawling, though. I guess it feels like a mixed bag for me.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Morrow

I think I can understand what you mean. I LOVED Morrowind, still liked Oblivion, was blown away at first by Skyrim but then got bored with it pretty quickly. I invested more than 300 hours into Fallout 3, but only about 72 into Skyrim and am still just one trophy away from platinum. I think they should've made the game more challenging, but don't ask me how, I can't really put my finger on what it lacks.

Maybe we were just expecting too much.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By spartanlolz92

@phrali said:

your gonna like kingdoms of amalur then

thisguyrich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By thisguyrich

@phrali said:

this is exactly what happened to me.

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Wasara88

Loved morrowind, hated oblivion. Not that excited about skyrim at first,but i knew i had to at least try it out and a couple of days prior to release date, and after watching all the giantbombs Elder scrolls vids i got excited again.

I honestly think oblivion had it's problems, but it still should have been a fun game for me to play, it just wasn't the right time for me.

I cannot imagine playing another open world RPG for awhile after I'm done in Skyrim.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Dany

I understand. Bethesta RPG's are not for me. The praise of these games seem valid but I just know I will never enjoy them.

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ulain

@Galiant said:

@Ulain said:

the fact that the game was becoming less about exploring and more about interactions of boring NPCs and buying materials to make your own armor instead of finding it yourself.

That's not a fact. Did you even play Skyrim?

I misspoke, and used 'fact' in an exaggerated way, my bad :P I meant more along the lines of..

@Oldirtybearon said:

As for Skyrim in particular, I don't know. A lot of the dialogue felt like pure exposition. These NPCs had names, sure, but overall they felt like MMO quest-givers instead of people in a living, breathing world. In Oblivion, I can tell you of a dozen memorable characters (not including the likes of Sheogorath), and the same goes for Fallout 3. Skyrim... I'm struggling to think of one besides the leader of the Greybeards. I still loved all the exploration and dungeon crawling, though. I guess it feels like a mixed bag for me.

In any case, the point was to get the OP to articulate why he hasn't clicked with the game. Perhaps it's just RPG overload if you're trying to play it after 250 hours of Dark Souls.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#17  Edited By galiant
    @Ulain That's fair. Not that I agree with it, I thought the NPCs of Oblivion were far more bland (and the low number of voice actors didn't help).
    Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Deranged

It's alright. I have the same problem. I got it after Christmas and I was addicted for the first 25 hours, then it just wore off.

Honestly, it was the gameplay that was lacking for me. I'm waiting for Kingdoms of Amalur.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.