Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Playing on Pc but with 360 pad. Who's with me?

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By EdIsCool

I've loved Bethesda games since I first played Morrowind (still the best one).

Looking at the e3 demo awhile back I was struck by the fact that while the dual wielding looks great, it will not be a good experience with a mouse. In Oblivion I ended up setting block to middle mouse, LMB for spells, RMB for my sword.

So much as I prefer mouse and keyboard for first person games, I'm gonna play this on a 360 pad. Menus will probably be better(even though they said they'd deconsolefied them).

Anyone else feel this way?

ps 10 days.10 goddamn days.

Avatar image for deactivated-60844520306be
    deactivated-60844520306be

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I'm actually leaning this way as well. I'll give both control schemes a shot when it comes out, but I do get the feeling that controller will be my preference based on what I've see of the menus and combat. This is all speculation, of course, and I can't wait to find out for sure.

CrystaljDesign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CrystaljDesign

I'll give it a shot, definitely buying pc over console versions in any case.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cloudenvy

I'm not! : )

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By CoverlessTech

I'll mostly be playing while using my bike trainer so yeah, controller for the most part.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By BonOrbitz

I maaaay try it, but I'll probably stick with keyboard n' mouse.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JP_Russell

I don't see what would be wrong with dual-wielding on a mouse. You know you can only block with two-handed weapons and with shields in Skyrim, right? So it's not like when you're dual-wielding, you have to have a button for left, button for right, and a button for blocking. There is no blocking if you dual-wield (or if you're holding any kind of one-handed weapon without a shield). And, of course, magic is now a selectable "weapon" itself that occupies one of your hands, as opposed to an instant-access hotkey ability, so there is no button mapping to that, either.

If it's just the idea that you'll be using LMB for whatever's in your left hand and RMB for whatever's in your right, I don't see anything problematic about that.

I'm not too concerned about the menus since they'll be modded at some point, and they don't actually look like they'll be egregious with a mouse. Just not ideal.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By eroticfishcake

I think you're a little insane but Oblivion's interface was very much directed towards consoles so I wouldn't be surprised if it suddenly switched to that interface when you plug in a controller. The PC version has a different interface in case anyone was wondering though I've yet to see it.

Also I've just remembered, Todd Howard did say they were hoping to integrate mod support into consoles though it won't be available at launch. Pretty dapper either way though.

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By theodacourt

I've said else where that I'll be trying movement on a controller in my left hand with a mouse for aiming in the other. Two mouse clicks and one trigger should cover everything, although I think it's working off a 'whatever is in your two hands system anyway'

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gike987

Yes, I like to play stealthy characters and I prefer the analogue stick for that. It's not like I have to do any twitch aiming anyway so a controller will work fine.

@eroticfishcake said:

I think you're a little insane but Oblivion's interface was very much directed towards consoles so I wouldn't be surprised if it suddenly switched to that interface when you plug in a controller. The PC version has a different interface in case anyone was wondering though I've yet to see it.

Also I've just remembered, Todd Howard did say they were hoping to integrate mod support into consoles though it won't be available at launch. Pretty dapper either way though.

Maybe on PS3, but Microsoft would never allow mods. It also depends on enough people in the mod community being interested in testing their mods so they are compatible with consoles, something I don't think many will do as the modder is required to own the console version to do that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to give it a go and see which way suits me, but after so many games on my 360 I'm sure I'll end up using the 360 pad over the mouse oh and yes 10 days!

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Commisar123

I'm going to try both, but I'm intrigued by the idea of using a 360 controller for this

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jimbo

I hope there's a mouse in this game so you can all STAB IT IN THE BACK.

TheGanjaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheGanjaKing

I was actually thinking about doing the same. I've always felt the analogue nature of the controller feels more natural, even if it is less accurate. Sometimes when I'm playing FPS games on the PC I feel like I'm controlling some sort of robot (maybe it's just all that time playing mechwarrior 3 in my youth :/ haha)

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@Cloudenvy said:

I'm not! : )

What he said.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShaggE

Yup, if only because I just recently got a wired 360 controller to replace my old wireless, and so the novelty of using it on the PC is still fresh for me.

... I am VERY easily amused by these sorts of things. Also, it tickles me to imagine the elitists' faces as I perpetrate such a travesty.

thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thornie_delete

Yes. The game has obviously been developed with a 360 controller in mind. As long as I'm able to manage my inventory with Keyboard and Mouse, then I'm all good.

rynbeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rynbeed

This is something that I have started to do more and more. For over 3 years I didn't have a computer good enough to play anything on, so the 360 was my main gaming device. I got really used to just laying back on the couch and relaxing while playing games on a bigger screen and there is something more simple about using a controller. It allowed for longer less painful (on the back mostly) gaming runs.

Now that I have a fairly beefy PC and a larger monitor (2 of them!) I haven't touched the 360 outside of anything exclusive to the console. I have found that anything outside of a FPS I still enjoy using a 360 controller and relaxing in the chair. I have adjusted around my desk as much as I can, but still find hovering over my keyboard and mouse for long period of time uncomfortable.

If it supports it I will be playing all 200+ hours of Skyrim with a controller.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SlashDance

I know it will sound like blasphemy to many of you, but I can't go back to keyboard and mouse for any game with the exception of very fast paced first person shooters like Hard Reset. One reason : analog control for character movement. I just hate being limited to a toggle between run and walk.

Avatar image for runeseekermireille
    RuneseekerMireille

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably try it, at the very least. Whichever style fells better to me, that's the control scheme I go with.

@thornie said:

As long as I'm able to manage my inventory with Keyboard and Mouse, then I'm all good.

I also agree with this statement.

Tumbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tumbler

Me! I hate using a mouse and keyboard. I wish there was a safe way to buy PC software because it's way too common to end up with something that has little to no controller support. Even games that are multiplatform and should have perfect controller support (BFBC2) can end up with nothing. Borderlands was a shock. Bought that not expecting much and loved playing that with a controller on the pc. Deus Ex HR has awesome controller support, even changes all the prompts and interface controls in the game to reflect the 360 controller buttons.

BF3 has some controller support but it needs to be much better before I'd recommend purchasing it on the pc. The sprint is a hold function button, it should be toggle as it is on the consoles, but it seems they just slapped the controls for the pc controllers on and shipped it without testing. It may be something you can edit manually but so far I've not figured out how. FoV is also an issue but I think I've discovered something that can fix that.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Hell no!

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Nentisys

I only prefer the pad for racing games (which I rarely play) or character action games (like bayonetta, dark souls, stuff like that) but those rarely even make it to the pc.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JP_Russell

@SlashDance said:

I know it will sound like blasphemy to many of you, but I can't go back to keyboard and mouse for any game with the exception of very fast paced first person shooters like Hard Reset. One reason : analog control for character movement. I just hate being limited to a toggle between run and walk.

I'm the opposite in that I don't find that to be very valuable, but I find the smooth vision panning provided by the mouse to be indispensable to my enjoyment even when accuracy isn't needed. Looking around and looking at things with a mouse is the only thing that feels as natural as panning my eyes and head around to look at things (minus the peripheral vision), and I absolutely need that.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By Stahlbrand

Could be good. Will give it a try at the least.

Bought a wired controller in the summer and had good results with Deus Ex: HR and NFS: Hot Pursuit. Its nice to lean back in my seat for long sessions.

Deus Ex HR had very robust support for switching back and forth between M/KB and controller on the fly, hopefully Skyrim will offer similar support.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By doobie

like the witcher 2 im sure skyrim will play better with a 360 pad. nice to have the option of both though

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Brians

I'll try it.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MikkaQ

Noooo way, Morrowind got me into PC RPGs in the first place. It's gotta be pure as hell for me when it comes to Elder Scrolls.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Wuddel

Gonna try it. Since I got my nice Razer ONZA I am leaning more and more toward that.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Hahaha, NOPE.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Tennmuerti
    1. first person
    2. lots of menus
    3. mouse
    Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rattle618

Graphics maxed out, cool mods and playing from a comfortable position of my own choosing: The best of both worlds, of course Im with you!

@ShaggE said:

Yup, if only because I just recently got a wired 360 controller to replace my old wireless, and so the novelty of using it on the PC is still fresh for me.

... I am VERY easily amused by these sorts of things. Also, it tickles me to imagine the elitists' faces as I perpetrate such a travesty.

I share your sentiment as well, and dont tell anyone, but Im playing Stronghold 3 with xpadder and the 360 controller :)

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Vexxan

Might give it a try but I'll probably end up using the keyboard/mouse anyway. 

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ZimboDK

Nah. I'm a bow & arrow guy, and leading targets is probably much easier with a mouse. Also, I think it will feel wrong with a controller, considering I've been playing all the TES and Fallout games with a keyboard and mouse.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Jimbo said:
    I hope there's a mouse in this game so you can all STAB IT IN THE BACK.
    Nice one.
    ripsaw117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ripsaw117

Well Your choice of controller is your opinion... at least your playing the best version...

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By MikeFightNight

@EdIsCool: I'm with you good sir!

I always prefer a 360 pad to M+K for just about any non competitive game on the PC (RTS the exception of course) Playing Skyrim on my PC on my big screen TV and a 360 Pad, it will be epic, can't wait!

@SlashDance said:

I also fully agree with this above statement.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By matthias2437

I love the way Oblivion controlled with a controller, but for Fallout 3 I preferred mouse an keyboard. I will probably try it with a controller but I think I will prefer mouse and keyboard.

IrishBrewed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By IrishBrewed

More buttons are more buttons. Give me a keyboard mouse setup for 200 Alex

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By geirr

I'll give the 360 pad a go, and if it's okay, I'll route the picture through the projector for 300 inches of full HD glory; Skyrim style.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@gike987 said:

Yes, I like to play stealthy characters and I prefer the analogue stick for that. It's not like I have to do any twitch aiming anyway so a controller will work fine.

@eroticfishcake said:

Maybe on PS3, but Microsoft would never allow mods. It also depends on enough people in the mod community being interested in testing their mods so they are compatible with consoles, something I don't think many will do as the modder is required to own the console version to do that.

Microsoft didn't allow mods with Oblivion, but that was back when the 360 first launched. The console has changed dramatically since then, with a huge emphasis on download titles, user created indie games, DLC and soon F2P titles. I definitely wouldn't rule mods out, MS themselves have talked about the possibility. There would definitely be a tighter control over them, but I could definitely see the bigger, fan favourites making their way over.

As for the original question.. Yeah, I'll be using my 360 pad on the PC version.

Dujun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dujun

This is definitely how I'm going to play it.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By gike987
    @WinterSnowblind said:

@gike987 said:

@eroticfishcake said:

Microsoft didn't allow mods with Oblivion, but that was back when the 360 first launched. The console has changed dramatically since then, with a huge emphasis on download titles, user created indie games, DLC and soon F2P titles. I definitely wouldn't rule mods out, MS themselves have talked about the possibility. There would definitely be a tighter control over them, but I could definitely see the bigger, fan favourites making their way over.

As for the original question.. Yeah, I'll be using my 360 pad on the PC version.

The way I could see it work is if Bethesda ported big popular mods, but I still don't think Microsoft would allow just anyone access to modify a big game like Skyrim. Another obstacle in making mods available for xbox 360 would be that many of the most popular mods requires better hardware than the original game, which could make it impossible to get them to run on the xbox 360 (and the PS3 for that matter).
    Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sanity

The xbox version wont have mods, no chance in hell either Microsoft or Bethesda would go through the hassle.

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#45  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

Last 360 controller I bought was on sale with a wireless receiver for PC, one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Still generally stick with a mouse and keyboard for FPS games though. It's nice to have options.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ravenlight

@CoverlessTech said:

I'll mostly be playing while using my bike trainer so yeah, controller for the most part.

Misread that as "playing using my bike trainer" That would be awesome.

I'll probably try both out but I can see myself sticking with M&KB.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#47  Edited By musubi

No, because I feel playing games on the PC  one of the things that makes it a staunchly different experience for me is using the mouse and keyboard.   I want the full on PC experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

keyboard and mouse all the way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.