Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Weapons Don't Degrade. (No More Repairing your Weapons)

piropeople13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#201  Edited By piropeople13

@believer258 said:

The exact opposite reaction I expected. ... but I agree, I am so glad that they're removing armor degradation. I hope Far Cry 3 takes a hint and does not include any sort of weapon degradation.

So...... you didn't like it when your ak-47 just exploded in your face after firing like 600 shots?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#203  Edited By Hizang

Thats great, I hated how that happened in Oblivion.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#204  Edited By Justin258
    @piropeople13 said:

@believer258 said:

The exact opposite reaction I expected. ... but I agree, I am so glad that they're removing armor degradation. I hope Far Cry 3 takes a hint and does not include any sort of weapon degradation.

So...... you didn't like it when your ak-47 just exploded in your face after firing like 600 shots?

No, not especially. The problem is that I didn't fire anywhere near 600 shots before it messed up. For any given gun, it was never more than a few spent magazines before the character was having problems reloading or something. A real shame, because shooting felt pretty good in that game otherwise.
    Thinktank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#205  Edited By Thinktank

I am going to agree with most here and say I am glad the weapon degradation is gone but I don't think that makes someone casual. I logged almost 200hrs into Oblivion and Shivering Isles, not having to worry about my weapons is just one less thing to worry about as I space out in front of Skyrim for weeks. However its too bad Bethesda didn't just make it an option for those who would like that added layer of gameplay.

karatetron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By karatetron

Awesome, because having to spend all of your money to repair weapons is pretty lame.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#207  Edited By veektarius

The problem with durability is that you ended up being afraid to use your good armor against a guy with a decent two-handed weapon. That might be realistic, but it only really makes sense if you only expect to have one such damaging fight per dungeon. I'd be totally cool with some sort of dungeon that penalized your stats for each dungeon you completed without returning to town. I think that'd be good for immersion.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#208  Edited By Ravenlight

@Hashbrowns said:

Heck, the National Debt Clock must be RPG nirvana for these people.

I love watching number get bigger. You just blew my mind with that link.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By gike987
    @Ravenlight said:

@Hashbrowns said:

Heck, the National Debt Clock must be RPG nirvana for these people.

I love watching number get bigger. You just blew my mind with that link.

That thing is amazing, so many numbers!
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#210  Edited By mazik765

@Intro said:

I personally think this is a joke. Why?

Obviously, they're making a lot of great changes from Oblivion and Morrowing, but they keep removing RPG elements which isn't good for someone who enjoys RPGs (duh).

I love RPGs and degrading weapons is a dumb, contrived mechanic that has done nothing but detract from my enjoyment of several otherwise stellar games over my gaming life.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Quacktastic

I don't think I knew about this,  I'm glad.  Repairing things always feels too arbitrary.  Next up: lock-pick mini-games.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By Spoonman671
    @believer258 said:
    @piropeople13 said:

@believer258 said:

No, not especially. The problem is that I didn't fire anywhere near 600 shots before it messed up. For any given gun, it was never more than a few spent magazines before the character was having problems reloading or something. A real shame, because shooting felt pretty good in that game otherwise.
    Were you just picking guns up off of guys you killed?  It took a pretty long time before any of your new guns would jam, and you were sure to pass by a weapon store within that time period.
    monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#213  Edited By monkeyking1969

Armor and weapon repairs was poorly implimented in Oblivion. You would pull out a hammer in the middle of the woods, in a dungeon, in a cave and hammer away on your weapons and armor? No forge, no tools, no anvil...in the middle of nowhere with enemies just a few dozen meters or teh next room away.

The armor repair system was REDICULOUS, perhaps one of the more ill considered and asinine systems ever created.

If they want to bring the "smithing" system back it should REQURE:

1) You find a working forge and anvil to make repairs

2) You carry ALL of your tools = 150 lbs (hammers 50 lbs, tongs 50 lbs, and metal awls 50 lbs)

3) Repairs take 1.5 hour of game time for simple repairs, 2.5 for moderate repairs, and 5 hours for heavy repairs

4) Enemies can enter and surprise you at work; your armor and weapons will be removed not matter what you are repairing (smithing is done without armor or weapons equipped)

4) Two hours of game time after repairs it is not possible to use any Sneak Skill in the dungeon, crypt, cave or town you repaired within as a penity for making so much noise.

sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#214  Edited By sreya92

Meh, it was annoying to have to constantly redo it but at the same time it made sense. I kinda liked the thought of having to either bring repair hammers or multiple weapons on quests when your weapons got to damaged. Oh well, it's relatively minor. Just as long as they don't change any of the big stuff, they can tweak the microgame stuff

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#215  Edited By falling_fast

repairing weapons wasn't fun, and it was a pretty contrived system anyway.

I'm all for it. Less time spent doing boring gamey stuff, more time spent roleplaying in a crazy awesome viking world

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#216  Edited By monkeyking1969

@damnable_fiend said:

repairing weapons wasn't fun, and it was a pretty contrived system anyway.

I'm all for it. Less time spent doing boring gamey stuff, more time spent roleplaying in a crazy awesome viking world

What confused me was there were all these forges in towns, castles, dungons, and even player owned buildinsf but you coudl never use them youself. They had a weapoin repair system that never used a FORGE or ANVIL!!!!

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#217  Edited By dbz1995

Banging armour was one of my main skills for my Barbarian class. Now what should I put instead...

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#218  Edited By FreakAche

Good. Repairing was annoying anyway. The repair hammers were too heavy to carry around so I always had to interrupt my dungeon-diving/questing and head back to the nearest town to fix all my stuff. Now if only they can bring back Morrowind's system of enchanted weapons recharging their magic over time. There was nothing worse in Oblivion than having to waste soul gems just because your magic sword ran out of juice.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By AlexanderSheen

I didn't knew this. That's awesome.

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#220  Edited By Cramsy

@dbz1995 said:

Banging armour was one of my main skills for my Barbarian class. Now what should I put instead...

Banging everything.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By onarum
    @Quacktastic said:

I don't think I knew about this,  I'm glad.  Repairing things always feels too arbitrary.  Next up: lock-pick mini-games.

yeah, and after that, as I have said before, the win button, you press it and win the game.
    LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#222  Edited By LawGamer

I don't mind the change. I never had a much of a problem with the concept of repairing my equipment, but Oblivion made it really tedious. Kill three goblins? Great, your sword is now broken and must be repaired. Oh, your sword has an incredibly crappy low-level enchantment on it? Better have a really high repair skill then. Oh, you don't have the repair skill? Guess you better pay an arm and a leg to fix it at the blacksmith then.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By JerichoBlyth

I thought it added challenge to the game - so I'm dissapointed that they have removed it.

Retarded.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By Aishan

@JerichoBlyth said:

I thought it added challenge to the game - so I'm dissapointed that they have removed it.

Retarded.

What "challenge" is there in visiting the smith every time you're back in town?

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By Karkarov

Yeah to be honest weapon degradation was never anything more than a gamey little facade meant to disguise a time/money sink. It didn't add anything to the game, it did not make it more "fun", heck in many ways for those who didn't master it so they only needed 1 hammer it made the game less fun because then they might lose out on loot because they are bogged down with repair hammers.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By Bane

The removal of degradation is fine by me. What it eventually boiled down to was a quick trip into the menu to hammer the repair button to 125% every once in a while. It wasn't required often enough to get tedious, it didn't take long enough to be boring, it wasn't interesting enough to be fun and it wasn't implemented well enough to be immersive.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Quacktastic
    @onarum said:
    @Quacktastic said:

yeah, and after that, as I have said before, the win button, you press it and win the game.
    Arguing for immersion I could get if someone were into that, but saying they add difficulty?  No way.
    Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By Arker101

I liked repairing in Fallout 3 and NV, but that also worked because of the way you found weapons and leveled up, I'm all for not going to the blacksmith every 15 min.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By Agent47

@Intro:

Don't really know how I feel on one hand it feels like the usual "dumbing down" but on the other hand it doesn't really seem like an important feature rather something you had to constantly do, so in the long run I think I would be bothered by the dumbing down part but when I play it I will probably forget.As for the atheltic skills/etc. those bugged me too but then I realized that in exchange they added around 200 perks with perk trees so nothing was really lost.

Slayeric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By Slayeric

I think Skyrim should have a hardcore option like New Vegas had. Needing to feed yourself and other stuff that increases the amount of things you need to micromanage your gear and characters well being.

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By Potter9156

People are forgetting weapon/armor degradation isn't there just for immersion, it's primarily there to balance out melee combat and the economy. When you consider every class, and every type of weapon, they all have their draw backs. For example, archers have to take into account arrows. Having to constantly keep track of how many arrows you have is part of the class, having to scavenge for arrows is a setback, having to buy arrows is a money sink. Arrows balance the class. For mages, you have to buy spells. You can't just find them like the other weapons. So it balances the class in terms of money and power.

Now for melee, there is nothing like that. You don't have to spend money to repair your gear, you don't have to buy new gear, and you don't have to worry about the quality of your gear during or after a fight. Where is the balance?

It's like giving you infinite ammo in a FPS. It's dumb.

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

@Potter9156: This is the type of thing I want to say when people are happy about encumbrance going in certain games... sure it is annoying at times, sure it is a bit tedious dumping items in chest/selling piles of loot. But it balances out the game! You can't just be a mega-tank of a character and switch to a mage without having consequences. And the consequence is the weight of the items you carry, it stops you picking up every little item. Games need balance, and so do classes. No balance = overly easy game or an overly hard game. Balance (repair, arrows, can't find spells etc.) = an adventure with its easy parts, its hard parts, its highs and its lows.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#233  Edited By Sooty

Good. If it was anything like Dead Island's retarded durability system it would have severely impacted my enjoyment of the game.

Kill 3 zombies. WEAPON BROKE. I know you can get better weapons later on but come on. I did have the durability talents too.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By Quacktastic
    @Potter9156: Encumbrance is that.  Your heavy weapon and armor weighing a ton, making your move slower and have shallower jumps, was always the setback I thought
    JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By JerichoBlyth

@Aishan said:

@JerichoBlyth said:

Retarded.

What "challenge" is there in visiting the smith every time you're back in town?

Well when I was in the middle of clearing an Oblivion tower in the fourth title in the series, I felt the weapon degrading added a sense of mortality, vunerability and therefore an additional challenge for your mind to take on when preparing for battle and it also challenged you to be resourceful with what little you had on the battlefield itself.

So yeah, a challenge fuck nugget.

Captain_Rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By Captain_Rick

awesome! repairing was annoying as hell.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By Aishan

@JerichoBlyth: "Fuck nugget"? What are you, twelve?

It's not like armour and weapons are a rare commodity in Tamriel, it's not hard (or even uncommon) for characters to carry around multiples. The only time it ever really came up was when enemies specifically used Damage Armor/Weapon spell effects, which were few and far between -- and there are other effects which they can use instead to lower your characters defensive and offensive capabilities.

There is no "challenge" in taking two weapons instead of one.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#238  Edited By Bwast

I would actually like it if weapons broke randomly beyond repair. But I'm crazy. I'm sure someone will mod durability back in. Not a big deal.

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By Potter9156

@Quacktastic said:

@Potter9156: Encumbrance is that. Your heavy weapon and armor weighing a ton, making your move slower and have shallower jumps, was always the setback I thought

I get what you're saying, but it kind of balances out. Sure if you're playing a mage, you don't have to carry as much equipment, but you also have to consider that because you're a mage, your strength is going to be inherently lower. Same as an archer. As a warrior, your equipment is heavier, but your strength is obviously a lot higher. So it kind of balances itself out.

waitwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By waitwhat

good riddance.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.