Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Evil Within

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 14, 2014

While investigating a mass murder, Detective Sebastian Castellanos descends into a gruesome, nightmarish world. This third-person survival horror game marks the debut of Tango Gameworks, a studio headed by Resident Evil progenitor Shinji Mikami.

So these PC specs are pretty cray-cray

• 130 results
    frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@mb: Huh, douche-nozzle at the PC World I went to told me I could run Crysis 3 on high, as that was just about to come out at the time. I have 8gb RAM so all I need is to get a better graphics card right? That's where VRAM is yeah, the graphics card?

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You did it again Rorie. You magician; you wizard. Thought this was the old cray-cray thread. Little do my eye's deceive me tonight. There are some cray-cray specs.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@pinner458: assuming you have a decent CPU, ya a new GPU would be all you need.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@mb: Huh, douche-nozzle at the PC World I went to told me I could run Crysis 3 on high, as that was just about to come out at the time. I have 8gb RAM so all I need is to get a better graphics card right? That's where VRAM is yeah, the graphics card?

Yeah that's not correct...a 6670 struggles in Crysis 3 on low. It's unplayable.

Davey123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Holy guacamole.

Jennifyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Jennifyre

FFXIII was 49 GBs.. Time to get a new hard drive.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#107  Edited By dr_mantas

Jeez. This and Shadow of Mordor are kinda annoying me. Not because it's too crazy, but because for what these games look like. I don't want to believe it's laziness, but these are not crazy simulations to require i7, and unless they are doing some insane textures for Evil Within, who need 4gb of video ram? Is it just optimized badly?

Igniz12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a fix for the FOV if you guys are interested. You can leave the black bars on and just use the FOV fix or use it with the black bar removal console command. Just google "K-putt Evil Within FOV fix". Needs Cheat Engine though.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Karkarov

Jeez. This and Shadow of Mordor are kinda annoying me. Not because it's too crazy, but because for what these games look like. I don't want to believe it's laziness, but these are not crazy simulations to require i7, and unless they are doing some insane textures for Evil Within, who need 4gb of video ram? Is it just optimized badly?

Don't buy it, Mordor's recommended specs are pure BS. 3gb of Vram was plenty for everything that game pushed at 1080p but it said you would need 8. Evil says "670 or better with 4GB Vram" but most 670's didn't have but 2GB Vram and the card is so old it is no longer in production. These specs are just overblown, either that, or their port is beyond horrendous because their pc specs blow the PS4 out of the water and it runs fine on the PS4.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's funny, I can't run Shadow of Mordor with textures above low without it stuttering like cray-cray, yet i can run older games with textures on ultra or whatever, which look waaaaaay better than Shadow of Mordor's low textures just fine. I don't really understand how these things work, but it's just something that's been annoying me with " next-gen " games on the PC so far. They don't really look better and are way harder to run, lol.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

A few things. The PC version isn't as spec crazy at all (according to digital foundry). It runs well on mid range cards. Also, the PC version does not currently offer true 16:9. The console command bethesda talked about literally zooms in the picture to make it 16:9. Look at some gameplay and imagine if the image was cut on the sides. So that would actually make playing it worse. There's almost certainly going to be a mod that produces true 16:9, though it won't be as easy as a lot of people assume because they'd have to mess around with the camera orientation if it's to work right. So no version of this game is currently perfect.

Igniz12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Igniz12

Someone made the FOV fix into an executable/trainer.

http://www.reddit.com/r/theevilwithin/comments/2jde9g/modevil_within_fov_mod/

Put those barf bags away. This only affects the FOV so you can still keep the black bars for dat superior console experience but set the FOV to an acceptable, non-headache inducing amount. Game seems like a mess but at least on the PC you can remedy alot of it issues. lol at any who went PS4 after 4gb Vram-gate. Currently the game tops out at 1.7ish gb of Vram, a far cry from the 4gb for 1080p as previously suggested.

Bethesda is one of the most incompetent publishers I have ever seen, first Skyrim PS3 and now this. At least Ubisoft is unapologetic about it nonsense but Bethesda just seem so feeble and hopeless in their dumbfuckery by comparison. How the hell do you go from 1.7gb of Vram to 4gb. You know how? By not actually testing what Vram you need to run this on 1080p on the PC.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#113  Edited By Yummylee

I still can't understand why such a 'controversy' has been brought about with this game due to the black bars and FOV. Obviously it isn't going to work for everyone, but the vast majority of talk surrounding this game that I see is related to the letterboxing...

I took a few glances at the QL comments and they're a nightmare.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if this is like Shadow of Mordor though, where the VRAM requirements for texture settings were hella high but you didn't actually need that much VRAM?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@igniz12: For the love of god, please someone tell tango gameworks to do something similar with the FOV on consoles. I don't care about the black bars, but the fixed fov mod with black bars looks really superior.

Igniz12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Igniz12
    @yummylee said:

I still can't understand why such a 'controversy' has been brought about with this game due to the black bars and FOV. Obviously it isn't going to work for everyone, but the vast majority of talk surrounding this game that I see is related to the letterboxing...

I took a few glances at the QL comments and they're a nightmare.

Because it can cause many PC players(due to close viewing proximity of their monitor) physical discomfort when the FOV is so under a certain limit. I myself happen to have some issues when horizontal FOV is 75 and below. My case it not so bad and I have some trouble following the action on screen and sometimes have mild nausea but other people have more extreme reactions to low FOV. Clearly it would have been no big task to add an FOV slider for the benefit of gamers but Bethesda/Tango saw no need for that and once again another half-assed PC port is left to the community to pick up the slack. Thank god the PC community is on point with this stuff as always. Another fix is also coming from someone else but for now these work fine and the, as yet to be released fix is not that different from the ones already available. And yes, third person prospective games can also suffer from low FOV angles.

Idk what the issues is with the black bars, they say its an "artistic choice" so I just go with that reasoning. Not many people feel that way and I cant blame them.

@dystopiax said:

I wonder if this is like Shadow of Mordor though, where the VRAM requirements for texture settings were hella high but you didn't actually need that much VRAM?

There are no more extra HD textures for the game. Bethesda knew all this while what it took to run the game at 1080p on a PC but they still went out of their way to reiterate the 4GB ram requirement. Either there was malice involved(although I cant for the life of me think what that could be) or good olde fashioned incompetence from the technical team all the way down to the PR people. Where the hell did the extra 2 GB of Vram go? Their reasoning for why you need 4gb of vram adds more fuel to the idea that they just did not do any due diligence on their own fucking product that they expected people to spend money on and just shat out a nonsense reasoning instead.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@igniz12: No for Mordor they said you needed 4GB VRAM to run those ultra textures but people were running them fine on 2. I'm not saying it's like an extra setting for 4, I'm saying it's entirely possible they inflated the amount of VRAM you needed for whatever reason and it'll run fine on the good-average rig most people have now.

Igniz12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultra settings is not the same as Ultra textures; I dont think you could pull off the Ultra textures in SoM with just 2gb, you need at least 3-4gb of Vram. But point taken, they inflated their Vram usage like EW but at least SoM runs amazing on PC and scales superbly. EW can even run 30fps on consoles ffs.

Igniz12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Igniz12

The Flawless widescreen mod has been updated for Evil Within.

http://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/index.php/Flawless_Widescreen#FWSDownload

Looks like this is probably the best tool to use for trying to fix the issues with the game. This has fix for FOV, Black bars and aspect ratio as well as some other stuff.

No Caption Provided

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God forbid a game director decides how his/her own game should be presented...

Calling a mod a "fix" is absurd.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@rafaelfc said:

"Cinematic" letterbox and "cinematic" 30FPS lock is what's absurd, here. These mods are absolutely a fix.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rafaelfc said:

"Cinematic" letterbox and "cinematic" 30FPS lock is what's absurd, here. These mods are absolutely a fix.

I'll agree on the 30fps lock.

But the letterbox is absolutely a creative decision in this case.

Igniz12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God forbid someone tries to play the game their way eh. Guessing you play on consoles? Getting hung up stuff like this isnt something I would expect from someone who gets to decide if he/she wants to use anything that augments or changes the way a game is meant to be played. Why do you feel like what I said was a call to arms to defend this game?

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pc master race

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@igniz12 said:

God forbid someone tries to play the game their way eh. Guessing you play on consoles? Getting hung up stuff like this isnt something I would expect from someone who gets to decide if he/she wants to use anything that augments or changes the way a game is meant to be played. Why do you feel like what I said was a call to arms to defend this game?

I will not get into the "PCs vs. console" bait because that discussion is both childish and uncalled for.

CrystaljDesign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rafaelfc: When I tried playing the game completely vanilla, I was not seeing a lot of the icons for interacting with items because they were too high or low on the screen. I also felt like I was playing the game with a box over my face. Maybe if I was playing 6 feet away on a large tv it would be a better experience, but being a foot away from a 24" screen made it very difficult to play. Once I got the letterboxing removed and FOV changed, I feel like I can actually start enjoying the game.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By mike

@rafaelfc said:

A creative decision in the hopes to get the game to run at 30 fps? Come on. 16:9 is already cinematic, letterboxing is a cheap trick in order to reduce the horsepower needed to run the game and nothing else. Calling it a "cinematic design choice" is nothing but PR spin that started with The Order: 1886 devs and is just perpetuating from there, it's bullshit.

The proof is right there in the console versions. If the game can't even maintain 30fps at 1920x768 on PS4, how do you think it would run with 40% more vertical resolution? It wouldn't.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Rafaelfc

@mb said:

@rafaelfc said:

A creative decision in the hopes to get the game to run at 30 fps? Come on. 16:9 is already cinematic, letterboxing is a cheap trick in order to reduce the horsepower needed to run the game and nothing else. Calling it a "cinematic design choice" is nothing but PR spin that started with The Order: 1886 devs and is just perpetuating from there, it's bullshit.

The proof is right there in the console versions. If the game can't even maintain 30fps at 1920x768 on PS4, how do you think it would run with 40% more vertical resolution? It wouldn't.

If performance was the only factor involved we'd see a ton more games being letterboxed. I don't think it's the case here.

Also, I'm really interested in finding out what happens when you apply the letterbox mod? does it render the letterboxed parts of the game or does it zoom in?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By mike

@rafaelfc: You're ignoring the evidence, dude. You are of course free to think whatever you want, but when the numbers are staring you right in the face it's time to accept that this wasn't a creative decision. The simple fact of the matter is that if Evil Within was presented in full 16:9 and in 1920x1080 instead of 1920x768, it would require up to 40% more power to do so that the consoles simply do not have. Further evidence to support this is that the PS4 version runs at 1920x768 while the Xbox One comes in at 1920x640, which as Eurogamer says is "really just 1080p vs 900p with those large black bars inserted."

900 vs 1080 = 83.3%

640 vs 768 = 83.3%

Go read the Digital Foundry article on this game if you have the time, I think you'll find it rather informative.

Igniz12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Igniz12

@rafaelfc: But coming in and mouthing off when you decide not to use the fix, mod, artistic license killer is? Why not just move along if you didnt like what I posted. Do you go into Skyrim mod threads or any other modding related thread and let everyone know how they're ruining the game the way it was intended to be played. Anyway there is valid reason why this mod is useful and not just the black bars removal.

@rafaelfc said:

@mb said:

@rafaelfc said:

If performance was the only factor involved we'd see a ton more games being letterboxed. I don't think it's the case here.

Also, I'm really interested in finding out what happens when you apply the letterbox mod? does it render the letterboxed parts of the game or does it zoom in?

If you used only the Black bars removal it just crops the image up and stretches the game. It needs to be used in tandem with the FOV adjustment so that the image gets less stretched or just use the FOV fix and leave the black bars intact.

@moab said:

pc master race

Its great isnt it? Fixing stuff that benefits the whole community while making it optional.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crazy to think of these PC specs they have listed here, for a game that is a terrible PC port in all honesty before fiddling with it a bunch, and doesn't look very good at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.