Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Evil Within

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 14, 2014

While investigating a mass murder, Detective Sebastian Castellanos descends into a gruesome, nightmarish world. This third-person survival horror game marks the debut of Tango Gameworks, a studio headed by Resident Evil progenitor Shinji Mikami.

This game looks rough you guys.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As someone who has been excited for this game since announcement, this gameplay demo from this E3 is not exactly instilling confidence.

I could be TOTALLY wrong, and I hope I am, but a lot of this game right now just seems really janky. The upgrade system has me worried, but then again, RE4 also had upgrades for health and damage, just in a slightly different way. Those events with that guy in white chasing you just seem to go away once you do enough laps of the level, raising questions as to why even include them. The level itself looked really nice though, that was one foreboding looking mansion.

Also, I know this sounds dumb, but as someone who is awaiting the release of this, I'm a bit offended/miffed that they made ones of those stupid scary reaction-videos advertisements for this. Glad that marketing and those who developed this game probably don't have the same vision. Dead Space 2 had a similar ad, and it was awesome.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By MEATBALL

Been seeing a lot of negativity surrounding it for a while now. I just don't get it, I think it's looking pretty damn cool. I hope you guys are wrong. >_>

Also, Dead Space 2's reaction video was awful. YOUR MOM WON'T LIKE IT. (just realised you meant Dead Space 2 was awesome, not that its reaction ad was awesome, whoops :P )

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think it looks great, I just hope it's actually scary/tense.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattschwabby: I'm assuming that when he said, "...and it was awesome." he's talking about Dead Space 2, not the ads.

Disaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, I think it still looks fine. Not seeing how it looks really janky but then again I haven't seen a lot of this game yet.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Don't know much about it except for the video you linked. AI looks pretty bad. Hope they put some work into that. Super-desaturated colors never look good to me but that's a matter of taste I guess. The run speed is too slow - like by 1/3 to 1/2. They have to fix that. His run animation actually looks hilarious and does a bit of work to break any scary mood.

Other than that it looks alright. It could be fun. If they mix in some more open-ended areas to explore and things to discover it could be very good.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I think it looks fine, not getting the vibe you are talking about OP, sorry.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I'll get it when it goes on sale on psn

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Ugh, this game is STILL letterboxed? That right there is enough to lose me.

Disaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Disaya

@tourgen said:

The run speed is too slow - like by 1/3 to 1/2. They have to fix that. His run animation actually looks hilarious and does a bit of work to break any scary mood.

Yeah this stood out to me. He looks pretty bad when he tries to run and it's so slow, which I'm assuming it's slow for tension and stuff but still.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

It doesn't look great, sadly. However, like Patrick, I play all horror games... so I'll still be getting this.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sasnake

Looks slow, he cant even punch when guys get too close, and that framerate at certain points...uugh.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Looks like Shadows of the Damned and I guess I expected it would.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adequatelyprepared said:

Also, I know this sounds dumb, but as someone who is awaiting the release of this, I'm a bit offended/miffed that they made ones of those stupid scary reaction-videos advertisements for this. Glad that marketing and those who developed this game probably don't have the same vision. Dead Space 2 had a similar ad, and it was awesome.

Why would that offend you? Especially if you liked the Dead Space ones?

My wording there is dodgy, sorry, I meant that the game was awesome, not the advertisements they had.

I think it looks fine, not getting the vibe you are talking about OP, sorry.

Don't get me wrong, this is a game that I really hope that once I pick up and play it it'll be just fine, especially considering how few survival horror games there are now. I'm not trying to crap on it without good reason. It's entirely possible that because I am right now trying to play through RE4 on professional that I have certain misconceptions about how Evil Within should play, considering that Shinji Mikami is the one behind it.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tourgen said:

Don't know much about it except for the video you linked. AI looks pretty bad. Hope they put some work into that. Super-desaturated colors never look good to me but that's a matter of taste I guess. The run speed is too slow - like by 1/3 to 1/2. They have to fix that. His run animation actually looks hilarious and does a bit of work to break any scary mood.

Other than that it looks alright. It could be fun. If they mix in some more open-ended areas to explore and things to discover it could be very good.

The main thing you should know about this outside of the demo above is that the director is Shinji Mikami, and this is the first (I think) game out of Tango Softworks, a development team founded by him. Shinji is the guy behind plenty of games, but two big ones are Resident Evil 4 and Vanquish, both of which are really solid 3rd person shooters, with RE4 also being a pretty good survival horror game on top. That's why I was looking forward to the release of this and many were seeing it as the spiritual successor to RE4 (which I admit, may be a bit of a misplaced notion).

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Looks fine to me I guess, but it's hard to tell much from that video alone.

I'm excited either way, since Survival Horror games are so rare nowadays.

sean2206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks ok. I can see where your coming from OP but I'm hoping it'll work out in the end. I'll hold out hope yet that this will be a good really scary horror game because I have been looking forward to it for a while now.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, it doesn't look that bad. It doesn't look all that good, but I've seen a lot worse.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, everyone, I fully retract (most) of my statements. I just saw the Devil's Third gameplay demo and was reminded of what a bad video game looks like. Evil Within seems cool.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#22  Edited By Yummylee

It looks fine. Kinda janky due to budgetary constraints no doubt, like Sebastian's goofy running animation and his lack of any facial expression when being bit. While the shooting also seems clunky, that shouldn't really be a concern if this is as much of a survival horror game as Mikami loves to claim; slick & smooth shooting mechanics aren't exactly supposed to go hand-in-hand with survival horror.

ryanmgraef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck the bullshit, this games looks rad! It's made by a smaller, newer team, so it's not going to be the triple A train wreck RE has become. It going to have rough edges, and for me those kinda things can bring charcter to games like this. Can not wait.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

A minute into the video, "just because you're aiming at their head doesn't necessarily mean you'll hit, you have to put the work in to upgrade those skills." Okay, bye.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Looks like Shadows of the Damned and I guess I expected it would.

That's exactly what I thought after watching the video.

Avatar image for exiledastronaut
    ExiledAstronaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, I'm still excited for this! Just hope there will be good feedback as to whether running away is the best option, since some enemies are apparently unkillable.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks OK to me..the shooting does seem clunky like the older Resi games, but I like the 'finishing move' of setting a grounded enemy on fire. Got an Amnesia vibe from mansion, actually. Otherwise, there's just not enough here to make a firm judgment.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By John1912

It looks ok. Animations look a little janky, but this is the type of game where that is more likely to be less of an issue. Does look to be about a 7 right now. Doesnt look amazing by any means.

Kaveman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Funniest part is when the unkillable guy enters the room and the guys playing are so relaxed about it. That element of the game looked like it needed a bit more tension. But still looked interesting enough for me to try it. Dont know if I will buy at launch anymore though.

FreedomTown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gameplay video looks good to me

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I still have faith that it'll be Japanese weird and I also love B-games.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I've really got my fingers crossed. Not really expecting anything in particular. Just a well crafted experience. I never played Re4, but given how well revered that game is hopefully it's reminiscent of it in the best ways possible.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have Alien Isolation and Shadow of Mordor but I'm not really sinking my teeth into them like I should be, even though they're both fantastic, I'm really holding out for The Evil Within.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Really hope this is awesome!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This indeed isn't techincally as slick as what I'm now used to on PS4, when compared to other 3rd person games like Second Son, TLOU Remastered and Shadow of Mordor, but it's decent enough...and it looks pretty great visually! Textures aren't eyepoppin or anything like that, but the design is really nice. Good lightning and such.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.