Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Flame in the Flood

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Feb 24, 2016

A roguelike adventure in a procedurally-generated post-societal America. Created by The Molasses Flood.

Campaign mode?

Airickson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I happened upon the 'Unfinished' video and liked what I saw, but I was curious if anyone has tried the campaign mode. For my tastes I'd like to know if there's a way to get to your location and not just play as long as possible until eventually succumbing to starvation or another horrific form of death.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

I made a whimsical purchase this morning after seeing (and liking) the artstyle and only reading two or three reviews.

From what I've seen, It does look like it has the potential to be an interesting game. I'll check back here with my thoughts in a day or two.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

After having spent a good few hours with it I'd recommend skipping it. I got to sector 6 (of 10) on my second time around before I quit out of boredom. Even if I was playing on the harder difficulty with more scarce resources I'd doubt it would be much more fun. There's just very little going on, and not just lack of mechanics, but the scope is very small too. It's basically just gather some reeds and twigs to build weapons, kill animals, eat their meat and use their furs for clothing, and there's like 4 different weapons and 4-5 different animals. There's some more side-stuff with upgrading your raft as well, but it's very rudimentary.

While the game is procedurally generated every time you'll quickly get tired of seeing the same areas and enemies over and over. As for a more direct answer to the question, there is some story stuff in the campaign (which definitely has an end) but it's pretty sparse.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#4  Edited By extintor

@ares42 said:

After having spent a good few hours with it I'd recommend skipping it. I got to sector 6 (of 10) on my second time around before I quit out of boredom. Even if I was playing on the harder difficulty with more scarce resources I'd doubt it would be much more fun. There's just very little going on, and not just lack of mechanics, but the scope is very small too. It's basically just gather some reeds and twigs to build weapons, kill animals, eat their meat and use their furs for clothing, and there's like 4 different weapons and 4-5 different animals. There's some more side-stuff with upgrading your raft as well, but it's very rudimentary.

While the game is procedurally generated every time you'll quickly get tired of seeing the same areas and enemies over and over. As for a more direct answer to the question, there is some story stuff in the campaign (which definitely has an end) but it's pretty sparse.

I've spent a while with it too now and although it looks nice and has some style, I'd agree. There's not a lot here so my recommendation would also be to skip it.

palmettobling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@airickson: In response to the threads from @ares42 and @extintor I can see where they are coming from, but for a slightly different perspective, I'm really enjoying this game. This is my first survival / scavenge game, and the style, music, and game play are keeping me going. I see myself playing and enjoying this for some time.

More directly to your question, there is a story mode to reach a final destination, keeping you going down the river, but there is an Endless mode as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.