Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jun 05, 2018

The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker

If you liked Contradiction or Her Story..

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BladedEdge

Well, here is another game in that genre. I can't speak to its absolute perfect quality, but the premise seems very interesting. I'd guess a few people are gonna wanna wait until GBeast realizes this game exists and give it a go, but for those of you who like to play through these sorts of games yourself, this is just a head's up.

Randomized ending, 10-15 hours of gameplay for >10$ FMV based text-parser (what questions do I ask!) puzzler. Or something like that.

Not to everyone's tastes, but it just popped up in my steam feed and no one else is talking about it, so I figured I would!

Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Chronologist

Oh, cool!

I took a look at the steam page, and it seems this game has the guy who played Ryan Rand, so that seems pretty rad.

No Caption Provided

Hope this gets some GBeast treatment.

kidzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this game blows up in any way, I'm gonna remember reading this thread. Thanks for the heads up!

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, this definitely has to be played on a GBE Playdate!

(and I hope they fix their image settings, FMV games always look with weird colors and washed out dark tones on the GBE PC).

zinkn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need to play this!

LarsHJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GBE playdate please, or at the very least we need a gbeast ql

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

Oh, nice. Thanks for the heads up! I was a huge fan of Contradiction, played through it myself a couple of times after watching the GBeast playthrough (including having several friends watch and try to make the connections, which was a ton of fun). Will certainly have to check this out, at least.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks very intriguing.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Oh, cool!

I took a look at the steam page, and it seems this game has the guy who played Ryan Rand, so that seems pretty rad.

No Caption Provided

Hope this gets some GBeast treatment.

Ah snap! I think I might pick this up. I'm actually playing Contradiction at the moment and might give this a go afterwards. Also please let's get a GBE Playdate series on this!

superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just picked it up! It's now downloading. Thanks for public service announcement!

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Randomized ending sounds cool. Might have to give this a try.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezza: Its a murder mystery and the person who did it is randomized I believe, according to what I read on the steam page/reviews. I would assume a second play-through would repeat a lot of the same information but still allow for replay value in seeing who-done-it this time.

But again..even a 5 hour game for 9$ is a bargain. and this is suppose to be 3 times that. From my time with it some of that seems to be ate-up by trial and error guessing what to ask. I think if you knew all the key-words/questions to ask you'd be able to do it faster but where is the fun in that!

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

Been following the game for quite some time and bought it on release day. And I've not had time to do much with it.

Definitely more of a Lovecraftian Her Story than the Carry On style camp of Contradiction.

RikiGuitarist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're playing a psychiatrist interviewing patients. How does the game treat the issue of mental health? Hopefully they portray it correctly, or at least respectfully. Otherwise Vinny just might actual shut the stream down.

fledeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the heads up. I knew this was about to be released, but somehow missed it when it was.

I'm downloading now.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NegativeCero

Bought that last FMV game they looked at called Shift I think. Always willing to check them out after Contradiction.

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By joshth

You're playing a psychiatrist interviewing patients. How does the game treat the issue of mental health? Hopefully they portray it correctly, or at least respectfully. Otherwise Vinny just might actual shut the stream down.

I've only just finished the first act, and it still could definitely go either way. The main thing I'll say is that while there is some real mental health stuff on the surface, like depression, anxiety, and grief, the game is seeming like it's going in the direction that it's not that they're crazy, they're just the only ones who can see the truth. Because some of them also seem to have some kind of magical powers, maybe? It's very Lovecraftian.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

I'm only about two hours in, so it could fall apart, but thus far it seems to handle it rather well. The characters so far feel like genuine depictions of people who are troubled to various degrees, and are suitably varied in, for instance, how strongly they believe they are delusional or whether their experiences are real. The game's deliberately vague on whether or not, and to what extent, mental illness plays a role in how they perceive the world.

I've other issues with the game (the text entry is annoying specific, and doesn't appear to respond to obvious questions [e.g. one patient says they don't drink but like a specific nightclub for the cheap vodka]), but the treatment of mental health is fine thus far (FWIW I say this as someone who has their own mental health issues [OCD and GAD]).

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

I'm really not feeling this one. Granted, I'm only a couple of hours in but it has neither the charm of Contradiction or the writing of Her Story.

The input system could do with some work - I've had the most success so far by parroting what the patient says back at them:

I like the colour red.

Me: You like the colour red?

Them: Yes, it makes me feel dangerous.

Me: It makes you feel dangerous? etc etc.

Maybe it's a bit more nuanced and I'm simply not engaging more with the game because I'm not properly enjoying it. We'll see.

benfoldsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Awesome little easter egg

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@bladededge: You're doing great work here. For $9, worth the risk!

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Awesome little easter egg

Let's hope this means the previous one did well enough that a sequel's in the works...

kidzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like we got a QL. Remember this thread, everyone. Don't forget where it started.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I skip most Quick Looks these days but I'll definitely be checking it out after seeing this thread.

Qrowdyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GBE seemed uncharacteristically impatient with it in the QL. Its a pretty easy game, for the most part you just parrot key phrases. As other people have said it goes into some fantastically weird places. I didn't watch the whole thing but the general vibe I got was negative. Not expecting a playdate :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.