Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last Guardian

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 06, 2016

The Last Guardian is the long-delayed third game from Sony's Team Ico. Originally revealed in trailer form at E3 2009, the game was met with substantial delays but was reintroduced at E3 2015.

The Last Guardian Hasn't Disappeared, Says Sony

• 127 results
    Lynxx506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Lynxx506

Cool

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By onarum

I heard it's coming out the same day as Agent....

SPARTAN3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By SPARTAN3

I really want to see what this game is about before the PS4 comes out.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By killacam

@Arbuthnaut said:

Not intending to offend anyone here, I'm just genuinely curious.

Even as fans of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, why has the hype for this game been through the roof for the better part of a decade when they haven't shown one second of gameplay, one substantial hint at a storyline, or even a proper trailer? All anyone has seen for this game has been short clips of a beast running around with a kid. That's been backed up by a bunch of empty promises and delays stemming from poor quality. Most titles would have been canceled at this point. They have been making all of these claims with absolutely nothing to show for it for five years. The main guy responsible for it is only completing it because he is contractually obligated to. Something isn't right with this game. So why are people still so excited for it? Is it ALL based off of nostalgia and love for Ico and Shadow?

no, he is finishing it because he cares deeply about his game and his vision. he is unwilling to compromise these for some company's release date. the game itself doesn't need a trailer, gameplay footage, or any inside look because ueda's previous work speaks for it. to me, the long development time is the opposite of a turnoff; it is clear the what ueda does is always extremely fresh conceptually and hard to pull off. all that has been affirmed for me is that this final chapter of his "trilogy" will be crafted with that same care and love as the first two.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#105  Edited By evanbower

@killacam said:

@Arbuthnaut said:

Even as fans of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, why has the hype for this game been through the roof for the better part of a decade when they haven't shown one second of gameplay, one substantial hint at a storyline, or even a proper trailer? All anyone has seen for this game has been short clips of a beast running around with a kid. That's been backed up by a bunch of empty promises and delays stemming from poor quality. Most titles would have been canceled at this point. They have been making all of these claims with absolutely nothing to show for it for five years. The main guy responsible for it is only completing it because he is contractually obligated to. Something isn't right with this game. So why are people still so excited for it? Is it ALL based off of nostalgia and love for Ico and Shadow?

no, he is finishing it because he cares deeply about his game and his vision. he is unwilling to compromise these for some company's release date. the game itself doesn't need a trailer, gameplay footage, or any inside look because ueda's previous work speaks for it. to me, the long development time is the opposite of a turnoff; it is clear the what ueda does is always extremely fresh conceptually and hard to pull off. all that has been affirmed for me is that this final chapter of his "trilogy" will be crafted with that same care and love as the first two.

I would normally blindly follow team Ico to the ends of the earth, but everything I'm hearing about this game is just slowly making me a doubter. Apparently, development for this game started directly after Colossus, as a PS2 game (source: Anthony Galllegos on the latest Game Scoop!), but was basically scrapped when releasing on that hardware was no longer realistic. They've now been working on the current build of Guardian for six years.. the same time span that the entire Uncharted and Mass Effect trilogies have come out. Knowing Ueda and how solid his record has been, I definitely gave him the benefit of the doubt that great things needs time. But.. there is just no way that a game couldn't be completed in six years, unless there are just serious issues happening within the studio.

Anyway, whether its taking so long because the studio is falling apart, or because everything is going steady but good art takes time, Sony has guaranteed that what is released won't be the pure vision that Ueda intended, because, I guess in some attempt to make sure this game doesn't become vapourware, they've got Sony Santa Monica working on it as well. Another great developer, but a very very different one.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By killacam

@evanbower said:

@killacam said:

@Arbuthnaut said:

I would normally blindly follow team Ico to the ends of the earth, but everything I'm hearing about this game is just slowly making me a doubter. Apparently, development for this game started directly after Colossus, as a PS2 game (source: Anthony Galllegos on the latest Game Scoop!), but was basically scrapped when releasing on that hardware was no longer realistic. They've now been working on the current build of Guardian for six years.. the same time span that the entire Uncharted and Mass Effect trilogies have come out. Knowing Ueda and how solid his record has been, I definitely gave him the benefit of the doubt that great things needs time. But.. there is just no way that a game couldn't be completed in six years, unless there are just serious issues happening within the studio.

Anyway, whether its taking so long because the studio is falling apart, or because everything is going steady but good art takes time, Sony has guaranteed that what is released won't be the pure vision that Ueda intended, because, I guess in some attempt to make sure this game doesn't become vapourware, they've got Sony Santa Monica working on it as well. Another great developer, but a very very different one.

but they're just giving technical advice! and everyone needs a helping hand every now and then. it's harder than we all thought to make a beautiful winged dog beast loyal. anyway, c'mon.. if you're out then i.. i just don't know!

EndlessLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#107  Edited By EndlessLotus

Please, God, don't let this be another Duke Nukem....

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#108  Edited By Commisar123

Pics or it didn't happen

catalex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By catalex

I feel like I've been waiting for the game forever, so I guess a little longer changes nothing.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#110  Edited By Tesla

Team Ico games are rather boring indeed. Add to that the development woes and you have some possible vaporware that I have no interest in.

Having "heart" does not a good game make.

shinluis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By shinluis

Are they porting it to Orbis or something?

BlackBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By BlackBlood

Just knowing that it's still in development makes me happy.

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By dvorak

Sony continued, "Yet. It hasn't disappeared yet."

GunnyHath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By GunnyHath

That is good to hear!

shtinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#115  Edited By shtinky

Shuhei Yoshida is a cool guy, and I appreciate his honest responses.

squidracerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#116  Edited By squidracerx

If its bad i hope it gets canned. i am a little nervous it has so much hype, money, and dreams behind it, that they might release a mediocre game (Im thinking about Lair aaahhhhhh!), instead of just taking a loss. it looks good though. And Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom was fun which looked basically like the same idea? So i am hopeful! :)

kuntthrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By kuntthrasher

It'll either be rushed and a disappointment, or overdue and a disappointment.

zonikjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#118  Edited By zonikjj

I was really hoping for this game to be shown at the electronic 3

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Twiggy199

Why do i feel like i've heard this a million times in the past year. "[Insert Game Name] is still a thing."

DCJoeDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By DCJoeDog

I hope this sees the light of day, but I am not holding my breath on it.

banishedsoul1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By banishedsoul1

this project has been in limbo for so long now. Im guessing they are saving it for the end of ps3 life to give the console a big send off. Maybe they might cross it over to ps4 to have a graphic beast.

noisyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By noisyturtle

Please don't rush this Ueda. Your fans are the patient kind, the patient kind with extremely high expectations.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#123  Edited By NMC2008

They're adding Move Support and Multiplayer, bird thing vs bird thing, Primal Rage style. Multiplayer will only support Move.

spitfireink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By spitfireink

“I will not give you a detailed update, but I will say one thing and it goes back to innovation and to gamers and to quality,” Rhode said. “That title will ship when it’s absolutely ready.”

There has been no date set for The Last Guardian’s release, but Rhode did not seem to be worried about any specific time table.

“It’s going to ship sometime and it’s going to ship when it’s ready. And I think that’s a really important thing to remember, that it would be very easy to ship a game when it’s not quite ready because we need to meet a business plan,” he said. “Gamers are first and the experiences we provide are first. That’s why we’re gonna talk about the game when we’re ready to talk about it.”

Boopie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Boopie

well as long as it's ready when they release it that's all I care about if it's not ready then they shouldn't release it but when it's ready is the time to release

nasseh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By nasseh

When you're ready, The Last Guardian, when you're ready.

epgpx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By epgpx

This game has to come out this year. If it doesn't, then wtf sony, wtf.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.