Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

Does The Last of Us ever get fun?

• 84 results
    jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So everyone made this game seem like the game to end all games, yet I'm about an hour and a half in and bored out of my mind. First of all I'm so sick of the 'boost me up' or 'help me open this door' crap, it's annoying as hell and slows the game down for no reason.

Second of all, stealth gameplay sucks. I don't want to throw bricks, I want to punch or shoot people in the head. The game keeps trying to make me sneak around and crap, and I know the point is "it's the apocalypse there aren't a lot of bullets", but then why when I try to run straight at people do they just keep unloading on me?

I'm playing on easy, so I've made it through most fights with a few bullets left, but I don't feel like the combat is any fun.

Will I ever have any fun with this game? Kind of thinking of trading it in and just picking up Black Ops II on PS3 (have it on Xbox, but can't think of anything better) or toward FIFA 14. This game has been pretty lame so far.... and I really don't give a crap about the characters, and from what I understand that's supposed to be the strong point.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JasonR86

Nope, it never gets fun.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Its a great game, but another example of praise and exaggeration of a game based solely on its production value and presentation. The same thing with Bioshock Infinite, a good game with great presentation and production value, but with mediocre shooter mechanics and player movement and interaction.

I mean, I guess there are gamers that are more into story and presentation rather than gameplay and varied core mechanics, I guess that's why stuff like Beyond Two Souls exists. And for them, Bioshock and LoU are amazing games.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ghost_cat

Duh, headshots and killstreaks are the only way to have fun in games. DUH.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jdh5153

@warxsnake said:

Its a great game, but another example of praise and exaggeration of a game based solely on its production value and presentation. The same thing with Bioshock Infinite, a good game with great presentation and production value, but with mediocre shooter mechanics and player movement and interaction.

I mean, I guess there are gamers that are more into story and presentation rather than gameplay and varied core mechanics, I guess that's why stuff like Beyond Two Souls exists. And for them, Bioshock and LoU are amazing games.

But I'm enjoying Beyond Two Souls a MILLION times more than The Last of Us. I feel like even its combat is better than The Last of Us...

Unfortunately Last of Us only trades for $23 at Gamestop..Looking like I'll be out $40 on a game I've owned for a handful of days. Unless maybe there's some invincibility and weapons cheat so I can just run through it and not deal with hiding bullcrap and bricks.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By nightriff

If you don't think it was fun now then stop playing, I thought it was fun in the beginning and by the end I hated it but continued because the story was so good.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You're playing the wrong game

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer

If you want to punch and shoot dudes play every other video game that came out this year. TLoU is clearly not for you. Or play on Easy.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Duh, headshots and killstreaks are the only way to have fun in games. DUH.

I'm a real gamer so no to Last of Fags!!! I only like play shooters for fuckin men with skill FTW!! Why doesn't Joel use his killstreak to call a supply drop? Oh he can't!! LOL ... etc.

That how babby formed.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're asking if it ever gets light hearted and airy, the answer is no, it doesn't really.

If you're asking if the gameplay will ever become something other than what you're experiencing, the answer is also no.

If you feel that a 12 hours of what you've done so far wouldn't be fun for you, then stop now and save yourself the trouble.

Avatar image for usernameandemail
    Usernameandemail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keep going, half way through you get the Carbine after you meet up with the military and then you can really f some s up. The only clickin' you worry about is the sound of your shells falling.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King

On the one hand, perhaps "fun" isn't the best way to describe The Last of Us's quality, at least from how I've heard people describe it. On the other hand, they've also praised the competitive multiplayer mode, which I don't think agrees too well with the "irrelevance of fun" point I was making in that last sentence. (Then again, it may not have to, since it's in a separate mode and all.)

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By StaticFalconar

Like, I noes bras. I can't even like no scope in this game wtf.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think you might find it more enjoyable when you build up more resources and get a few upgrades. It took a while to click for me to, because I'm not really a stealth guy either.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're asking if it ever gets light hearted and airy, the answer is no, it doesn't really.

If you're asking if the gameplay will ever become something other than what you're experiencing, the answer is also no.

If you feel that a 12 hours of what you've done so far wouldn't be fun for you, then stop now and save yourself the trouble.

lame. Guess I'll just trade it in and get a $20 PSN card.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

Given that I disagree with nearly everything you post in these forums, I can't say I'm too surprised you aren't enjoying my personal game of the year. Like others have said, if you aren't into the intensity and strategy of the combat or the fantastic writing and presentation thus far, this game isn't for you.

Avatar image for usernameandemail
    Usernameandemail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Usernameandemail

Jokes aside if you aren't enjoying it don't play it. Obviously the warm reception it received would make you want to have a go but if you are deep enough its not really worth slogging it through. I enjoyed it a lot because the story kept bringing me back.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fucking Tetris man with this block rotating and shit, when do I get to create my NFL franchise?

Hah but seriously, it sucks you bought a game and aren't enjoying it, but didn't you research it at all before putting the cash down?

I would not buy Duke Nukem Forever because I know I would hate it.

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Try the multiplayer. It's pretty much all shooting, stabbing, bludgeoning, maiming, igniting and exploding.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd suggest to relax and have a Fresca. You are an intense individual.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't start having genuine fun with the combat until about roughly the halfway point of the game when I started to really get the hang of the mechanics and controls. Until then, I was progressing only because I was enjoying the story a lot. Then the last bit of the game hit, and it thrust in everything I hated about the combat in one neat little section.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the fact that you already have BLOPS 2 on the 360 and is thinking of also getting it for the PS3 says it all.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why did you even buy it?

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Nekroskop

I can't tell if OP's post is a joke or not.

Give the game more than 1 and a half hours before you trade it in for something you already own, and play it on 'Normal' at least, you big baby.

EDIT: "But I'm enjoying Beyond Two Souls a MILLION times more than The Last of Us. I feel like even its combat is better than The Last of Us..." In a game where none of the QTEs have impact on anything you do aka YOU CAN'T FAIL A QTE. That 3/5 from Alex was well deserved both as a movie and a game

Nevermind. False alarm. Troll thread.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see your point, but I dont think The Last of Us has bad mechanics. I loved the slow and methodical nature of the combat, it has weight to it that makes the combat super tense and enjoyable. It's also why I actually enjoy the multiplayer and still come back to it; a rarity for me since I almost exclusively play DOTA 2 or CS:GO for my multiplayer needs.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't tell if OP's post is a joke or not.

Give the game more than 1 and a half hours before you trade it in for something you already own, and play it on 'Normal' at least, you big baby.

EDIT: "But I'm enjoying Beyond Two Souls a MILLION times more than The Last of Us. I feel like even its combat is better than The Last of Us..." In a game where none of the QTEs have impact on anything you do aka YOU CAN'T FAIL A QTE. That 3/5 from Alex was well deserved both as a movie and a game

Nevermind. False alarm. Troll thread.

OP is a well-known Xbox fanboy. Probably the biggest on the site.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It starts fun and proceeds to be fun until the end. Sorry brah

angouri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played on Normal, and I found that the combat became more flexible as you got more weapons and the crafting started to play a larger role (I used a bunch of molotovs and sharps bombs to take out groups of guys when they clustered --> very satisfying). That said, the game's story was much more interesting than the combat scenarios IMO. I had a bunch of fun right near the end when I had so much ammo and I was just walking around like the king of the earth.

That said, it's cool if its not your cup of tea. People raved because it has great acting, not because the shooting is great (it's ok...). Try Killzone 2/3? They're the Sony exclusives that sound more up your alley, and should be dirt-cheap now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdh5153 said:

But I'm enjoying Beyond Two Souls a MILLION times more than The Last of Us. I feel like even its combat is better than The Last of Us...

Move along. Nothing to see here.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By geirr

Trolling OP or not aside, I didn't think the game was fun either but I really enjoyed it and several scenes from that game still linger/haunt me.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it with my brother, and had a friend who was basically just watching the whole thing. I think that situation improved the experience for me, enjoying the story with others instead of alone.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By notdavid

If you don't like stealth games, why are you playing a stealth game?

On another note, I was thinking about picking up Beyond on Friday. Hearing you praise it is giving me second thoughts.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can't be serious..

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#35  Edited By StarvingGamer

If I told you that your next decision would determine whether or not you got to see a movie about a girl who went to a party, got picked on, and left, or a movie about a girl who went to a party, got picked on, proceeded to fuck everyone up in a maelstrom of telekinetic terror, and left, would you say that decision had no impact on anything?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Known troll jdh5153 throws out his nets in hopes of catching a few unaware fish in the pond.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I thought people got banned for flamebait threads.
    Man these forums have changed many times over the last few months, once it was relaxed, then it was a dictatorship, now what is it?

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Pezen

I was saying similar thinga for about 2 hours. The stealth felt hit or miss, the gameplay felt dull and there were just a bunch of combat scenarios. But at a certain point, I found the balance the game was striving for and I think the game evolves a lot past those inital hours. Even the combat scenarios have felt a lot less frustrating, even when it's been not always going my way. Also, who ever runs out of bullets? I am playing normal and have tons of ammo to the point of being at full capacity a lot of time.

For my money, Last Of Us has a really lukewarm first impression for a game so highly praised. But I am really digging it now.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#40  Edited By isomeri

The Last of Us is the best game I've played all year, but no I wouldn't say that it ever gets fun. It's an interesting story with strong emotional moments and I don't think that you can really compare it to games like FIFA or Black Ops.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By NTM

You should have just kept playing to find out for yourself, instead of coming on here to ask the question when all it comes down to is making it seem like you want to say the game isn't as good as everyone makes it out to be. It's just opinions man. I loved the game, I thought it was a lot of 'fun', but it seems you didn't like it, and so be it; it's not for you.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I really don't think the game was made in mind to be fun. Just by the very nature of what's going on and the things you're having to do makes the game not enjoyable in the way most people attribute to video games. It was a very specific type of experience I akin to watching something like a drama or depressing character piece.

For me, the game play wasn't what I kept coming back for, it was to see what happened to these characters throughout their journey and how it would all end. The game play helped perpetuate in my mind what I expected those characters had to go through. Although it wasn't fun, the game play felt solid and helped me stay fully immersed in that world for the duration of my time there. In my experience, I never enjoyed the game, but I did value playing through it.

Honestly, if you're looking for a traditionally satisfying game play experience the game might just not be for you. If the story isn't grabbing you that much then don't feel an obligation to finish it just because so many other people said it's great. I know the game will be on my top 10 list this year, but I'm sure that won't be the case for everyone.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

It gets better, and better, and better... likely until you'll see it just the same way as most everbody else. And then you'll play multiplayer, which is the most amazingly fun surprise of the year - so good!

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. The opening and ending scenes are really good, but it's never fun.

ValeYard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found being a bit more upgraded did increase the combat fun a bit. The bow and arrow was great, and in some of the last fights I used pipe bombs and snipy shooting which I enjoyed and even impressed my wife watching, so there you go! :D

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Things dont have to be fun to be worth experiencing.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't a big fan of what I played of it. I really liked the presentation and story, but the gameplay was miserable from the couple of hours I played. The basics if it were fine, but it was AWFULLY paced, just like the Uncharted games have a problem with. I ended up just rolling my eyes every time I got into a new encounter, be it stealth or combat, just wishing I could get to the next story beat. It felt like in those couple of hours, I had only had about thirty minutes of legit story. Just way too much gameplay.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks like an attention seeking thread...I think ill have a peek inside..oh it is an attention seeking thread.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

No . This game gets dark as shit . So no , but a masterpiece indeed .

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really not surprised by who the OP is. Dear me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.