Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 03, 2017

The first HD installment of the Zelda series developed for the Wii U and Nintendo Switch that returns to the open-world design of the original NES title, with a focus on free exploration of a large scale environment as well as dangerous enemies.

The Grip List: Zelda Breath of the Wild

Avatar image for dan_rob_campbell
    Dan_Rob_Campbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

My personal gripe list for the new game. Please feel free to add your own gripes as well.

1. A big selling point is climbing/exploration. It sucks that every five minutes it's raining in Hyrule, which prevents you from climbing.

2. You can't sell weapons...that sucks.

3. You can't simply swap weapons on the ground by holding down the "pick up" button like in Borderlands 2.

4. Game is VERY difficult (I like it, but others might not)

5. Game forces motion controls in some spots...lame.

6. There doesn't' appear to be a compendium for recipes

7. Without gear specifically made for it, climbing and swimming feel a tad too slow.

Avatar image for reasonablesteve
    reasonablesteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By reasonablesteve

Legitimate gripes, definitely. I'll try to share what I've learned that might help without being 100% spoilery.

1. Some areas are rainier than others. You can also pass time at a fire until the rain stops, if you can find or build one out of the rain.

2. A bit, yeah, but if you can beat up monsters, you can turn weapon durability into monster parts, and sell those. Also, it maaaay be possible to sell them later. Not sure about that, but I've heard rumors.

3. Yeah that's pretty much bunk.

4. Much of the difficulty can be mitigated with knowledge about the world, so a "hints and tips" list can make the game a lot easier if people don't want to play with it to learn everything.

5. The motion control puzzles are generally dumb and don't work if you're playing the game on a tablet screen, but the motion controls work well enough otherwise, and sometimes they're neat.

6. There isn't a compendium, but there is a "view recipe" button on all the meals in your inventory. There's also a relatively simple ruleset that governs most recipes. In addition, there's one way to collect recipes and keep them that isn't available for a couple quests, and is hidden even then.

7. There are ways to maximize the efficiency of climbing skillfully, as well as recipes that improve your speed and restore stamina. Swimming is stupid slow though for reals.

Aside from your gripes, my only one is that I can't print out and physically annotate my map. It'd have to be, like, six foot on a side, at least.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

My biggest gripe is that the temperature is locked to Fahrenheit (in the NA version I'm playing). Celsius or bust!

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I started out using the joycon grip that comes with the switch, but I recently got the pro controller and that feels a lot better.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Giantstalker

I've been playing for around 20 hours so far on the Wii U, and I only have two major gripes in an otherwise fantastic game:

1) The controls just don't feel so good. Some things aren't mapped great by default, and the game often demands a level of fidelity or responsiveness that just isn't there. I love the game but even after many hours I still run off cliffs, smash my horse into obstacles, and have a hard time targeting rapidly in battle. Starting to feel like it's not just me with this one.

2) The game usually runs at 30fps, but barely, and will dip super hard in most towns and some crowded areas. It'll even dive out in the open sometimes. I've even had a couple occasions where the game just straight up stops for a few seconds after hitting an enemy. I realize this is the concession they had to make in order to get this on the Wii U, but it still sucks and deserves a spot here.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

My biggest gripes are:

1. The framerate issues on the WiiU version. The busier places absolutely run at 10-15fps in places, its been bad enough a few times to make me regret not buying a Switch and playing it on there. Luckily the framerate is fine for most of the game.

2. Having to do all your crafting and upgrading one at a time. If you want to cook up 20 meals and upgrade 10 pieces of equipment, you're going to have to go through every single piece of dialogue, every delayed menu, and every little cutscene every single time. The skip option makes things moderately faster but it still fades to black and takes a bit to load. I wish I could get this done faster somehow, especially considering how integral cooking is to the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xeiphyer: Your second point is super annoying. "YES I KNOW ABOUT SETS STOP TELLING ME" is literally something I yelled at my TV after upgrading gear for the 20th time.

Avatar image for theegravedigger
    TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@TechnoSyndrome: Agreed. The pro Controller is magical. Between the button placement being more natural and the way the grip feels, it's just such an improvement.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.