Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jun 07, 2004

Create four-player mayhem to either vanquish the evil hordes of Vaati, or to blast each other into submission using the GBA link cable.

Maybe Four Swords Aren't Better Than One

• 60 results
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
    HEAVE. HEAVE.
    HEAVE. HEAVE.

A matter of hours after Nintendo held its mysterious press conference ahead of TGS last week, Patrick and I took a meeting with the company here in San Francisco, the subject of which we knew not what. A clandestine meeting timed so conspicuously with Nintendo's major announcements in Japan couldn't be a coincidence. Surely we were going over there to get our hands on, or at least talk about, that new analog add-on. Right?

Well, no. Nintendo's reps didn't know much more about weird new peripherals than we did. But when we got there, they did have that new DSiWare rerelease of Zelda: Four Swords on hand, so let's talk about that!

I never put any serious time into any flavor of Four Swords back in its day. Did you? Who was ever able to check off the long list of requirements necessary to properly get a game like that going? Four Game Boy Advances, four link cables, four willing players... It seemed like more effort than a weird little multiplayer offshoot using largely recycled artwork was worth.

Thanks to the advent of Wi-Fi and the ubiquity of the DS, it should be a heck of a lot easier to play the new Four Swords Anniversary when it hits DSiWare for the low, low price of free on September 28. Anyone with a DSi, XL, or 3DS can hop online, grab the game, and easily get a game going with up to three others over wireless. This new version was adapted to the DS by Grezzo, the company that handled the excellent Ocarina of Time port on the 3DS. They've added a new single-player mode of some sort that we didn't get to see, considering we went straight to the four-player mayhem.

Why's everything always gotta be a competition with you GEEZ.

And mayhem it truly was. I never knew how exactly how much Four Swords caters to a griefing mentality, but man, it couldn't have been more than 30 seconds into that game before we largely cast the puzzle objectives aside and just started trying to sabotage each other's progress. Since your sword connects with other players, and you can also pick them right up and throw them whenever you want, the potential for knocking people into pits or throwing them way off track is boundless. It doesn't help that the game rates everyone on the number of rupees they've collected at the end of an area, so you're constantly fighting with each other to pick up the most money, or knock each other into hazards that make them drop their own cash. Much smack was talked in that little conference room. It was actually kind of fun, even if it was largely fun of our own making. What I saw of the game was pretty simplistic, so infusing your own competitive spirit might be a necessity.

Grezzo has added some other content to this release, but since I didn't play the original game much I'm not really in a position to say a lot about what's new. Here you go: there was one stretching enemy that two players had to stand on both sides of and rip in half. That one was said to be new!

Look for Four Swords Anniversary to hit DSiWare at the end of the month, and since it's a proper port to DS, it should function properly with the 3DS' sleep mode and such (unlike the straight GBA ports that are coming to the system soon). Don't tarry, though; the game is only free until February of next year.

CORRECTION: Clarified the antecedent to this release, which is the original GBA multiplayer mode and not the GameCube release as originally stated. For those asking, the multiplayer in the DSiWare release is local-only.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
    HEAVE. HEAVE.
    HEAVE. HEAVE.

A matter of hours after Nintendo held its mysterious press conference ahead of TGS last week, Patrick and I took a meeting with the company here in San Francisco, the subject of which we knew not what. A clandestine meeting timed so conspicuously with Nintendo's major announcements in Japan couldn't be a coincidence. Surely we were going over there to get our hands on, or at least talk about, that new analog add-on. Right?

Well, no. Nintendo's reps didn't know much more about weird new peripherals than we did. But when we got there, they did have that new DSiWare rerelease of Zelda: Four Swords on hand, so let's talk about that!

I never put any serious time into any flavor of Four Swords back in its day. Did you? Who was ever able to check off the long list of requirements necessary to properly get a game like that going? Four Game Boy Advances, four link cables, four willing players... It seemed like more effort than a weird little multiplayer offshoot using largely recycled artwork was worth.

Thanks to the advent of Wi-Fi and the ubiquity of the DS, it should be a heck of a lot easier to play the new Four Swords Anniversary when it hits DSiWare for the low, low price of free on September 28. Anyone with a DSi, XL, or 3DS can hop online, grab the game, and easily get a game going with up to three others over wireless. This new version was adapted to the DS by Grezzo, the company that handled the excellent Ocarina of Time port on the 3DS. They've added a new single-player mode of some sort that we didn't get to see, considering we went straight to the four-player mayhem.

And mayhem it truly was. I never knew how exactly how much Four Swords caters to a griefing mentality, but man, it couldn't have been more than 30 seconds into that game before we largely cast the puzzle objectives aside and just started trying to sabotage each other's progress. Since your sword connects with other players, and you can also pick them right up and throw them whenever you want, the potential for knocking people into pits or throwing them way off track is boundless. It doesn't help that the game rates everyone on the number of rupees they've collected at the end of an area, so you're constantly fighting with each other to pick up the most money, or knock each other into hazards that make them drop their own cash. Much smack was talked in that little conference room. It was actually kind of fun, even if it was largely fun of our own making. What I saw of the game was pretty simplistic, so infusing your own competitive spirit might be a necessity.

Grezzo has added some other content to this release, but since I didn't play the original game much I'm not really in a position to say a lot about what's new. Here you go: there was one stretching enemy that two players had to stand on both sides of and rip in half. That one was said to be new!

Look for Four Swords Anniversary to hit DSiWare at the end of the month, and since it's a proper port to DS, it should function properly with the 3DS' sleep mode and such (unlike the straight GBA ports that are coming to the system soon). Don't tarry, though; the game is only free until February of next year.

CORRECTION: Clarified the antecedent to this release, which is the original GBA multiplayer mode and not the GameCube release as originally stated. For those asking, the multiplayer in the DSiWare release is local-only.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By lordofultima

Hey Brad wrote something that looks like an article! Cool!

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By swoxx

Yay! Love brad stories

Edit: Due to my high placing on the comments for this amazing story, I'm selling the space below for potential advertisements, please get in touch if YOU want to be seen!

Popularity leads to intimacy

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MisterMouse

So this will be a TNT some week right? haha

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By jimi

Any online support? If not this thing is pretty useless to me, I'm the only sucker who bought a 3ds.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Free? I do like free!

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Silver-Streak

Does anyone know if it's Wireless online? Or is it just Nintendo being Nintendo and their "Wireless" just means adhoc in the same room?

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By MEATBALL

Four Swords is so much goddamn fun, and yes, the potential to mess with each other is part of that.

emb1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By emb1234

Small detail, but a Gamecube was never required to play this game, or even usable with this game.

Four Swords Adventures for the Gamecube was fairly different from the first Four Swords, and didn't require multiple players.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brad articles are always good reads.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Legend

I'm glad it will be available on the 3DS. MORE FREE GAMES!!

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By bwheeeler

Reading just the title, I thought you didn't enjoy it.

Blubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Blubba

@emb1234: It sort of required multiple people to be fun though.

I'm excited for this anyways. It's a shame it probably won't have any online support though

emb1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By emb1234

@Blubba: Yeah, it was way better with more people. :D

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By UnrealDP

More Brad articles! Can't get me enough Shoemaker content!

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By UnrealDP

More Brad articles!I'm Never gonna get me enough Shoemaker content!

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#17  Edited By MormonWarrior

@Brad:

Four Swords was originally on the cart for the Link to the Past port on the GBA and required three link cables and four people who had the game. Four Swords Adventures was the GameCube title and that's quite a bit different from what this rerelease is. That one could be beaten 100% alone. Also, there were no rupees in that game, just force gems. And yes, griefing was commonplace in that game. I played it once with a group of friends.

Zelnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zelnox

Four Swords mini-TNT!

CyleMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By CyleMoore

I played it and it was amazing!

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

@Jimi said:

Any online support? If not this thing is pretty useless to me, I'm the only sucker who bought a 3ds.

Don't worry I'm in the same boat. I've spent maybe 45 minutes playing 3DS games, and probably 10-20 hours on regular DS games using the 3DS since I bought it. And the regular DS games don't even look as nice on the 3DS as they do on the old DS. What a waste.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gaff

I'm calling it: 4 player Four Swords Quicklook, with the same cast as the New Super Mario Bros Wii Quicklook.

Tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tan

But the one most important question... 4 swords adventure versus mode included?

RLLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RLLink

Oh Four Swords, the fun times I had with you in Middle School. That and always going at it with friends for DEM RUPEES

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Afroman269

Eh, but I guess I'll try it if it's free.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By dbz1995

Four Swords is fun the same reason why Magicka is. It's crazy with bros.

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By herocide

Those monsters aren't new; they were in the original GBA Four Swords.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sagesebas

How exactly how

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BisonHero

For everyone asking about the extent of the multiplayer: they confirmed that it is local ad hoc multiplayer only. There will not be any online multiplayer.

Also, I'm not sure I'd want a semi-cooperative game like this to have online multiplayer, given that the DSi/3DS lack any kind of built-in communication support.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#29  Edited By DrRandle

The Game Cube Four Swords was actually pretty awesome. I managed to clear it with a group of my friends, and fun was had by all!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JJOR64

I played this with a buddy of mine and it was fun. If you beat it you got some stuff for Link to the Past.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#31  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Well, is this the Four Swords that came with the Link to the Past GBA version or Four Swords Adventures for the Gamecube? Because yes Brad, there is a difference.

Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By Seroth

I recently played Four Swords adventures with three friends on the Gamecube. It was...fun, but we made very little progress because of all the griefing. We finished the first world, and then I had enough.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#33  Edited By Timing

@MormonWarrior said:

@Brad:

Four Swords was originally on the cart for the Link to the Past port on the GBA and required three link cables and four people who had the game. Four Swords Adventures was the GameCube title and that's quite a bit different from what this rerelease is. That one could be beaten 100% alone. Also, there were no rupees in that game, just force gems. And yes, griefing was commonplace in that game. I played it once with a group of friends.

I'll just quote this in the hopes of Brad seeing it. Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures are NOT the same game. Four Swords is being re-released for free, not Four Swords Adventures.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FreakAche

I'm pretty sure Brad is confused. This is NOT a remake of Four Swords Adventures for the GameCube, it is a remake of the original Four Swords, which was the bonus multiplayer game tacked onto the GBA remake of Link to the Past.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Awesome. Free with a single player mode. Now I'll definitely check it out since none of my friends have the mindset of a 12 year old and own a 3DS like me.

They're getting the Vita. I hear it's for grownups.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By Dagbiker

what i wouldn't give to see Patrick and Brad go at it in a four swords game.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DeF

@Tan said:

it's NOT four swords ADVENTURES. it's the original four swords which was a bonus on the GBA port of A Link to the Past.

Max_Hydrogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Max_Hydrogen

Game "journalism" at its best...

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FreakAche

@Max_Hydrogen said:

To be fair, I think the root of the problem here is Nintendo's bad naming conventions. Remember, this is the same company that gave us such fine names as New Super Mario Bros, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Metroid: Other M.

Tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Tan
    @DeF said:

@Tan said:

it's NOT four swords ADVENTURES. it's the original four swords which was a bonus on the GBA port of A Link to the Past.

I know but I was hoping that was "  the other content to this release"
    Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Thor_Molecules

Brad has a way with words, well written.

This totally needs to be quicklooked with the entire Giantbomb team though. Oh yes.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

I adored the GameCube version (Four Swords Adventures). It's my fourth favorite Zelda behind Seasons, Ages, and Majora's Mask, but that's just an indication of how much of a boner those games give me. Unfortunately, none of my friends ever got GBA link cables, so I never experienced the multiplayer aspect. If Nintendo plays its cards right this could convince me to buy a 3DS (putting OoS, OoA, and MM on it would also help).

Max_Hydrogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Max_Hydrogen

@FreakAche said:

@Max_Hydrogen said:

To be fair, I think the root of the problem here is Nintendo's bad naming conventions. Remember, this is the same company that gave us such fine names as New Super Mario Bros, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Metroid: Other M.

True, Nintendo lacks imagination when naming its recycled I.P. but I think someone who makes a living writing about games on "the world's biggest editable video game website" should perform a modicum of research. If this were a one of thing, then I might agree with you. But there's a pattern to Brad's behavior: he seems to rush in without first planning ahead and that is not a criticism on my part because I have the exact same problem (and am therefore more sensitive to its manifestation) but I wonder if it would be tolerated by another employer.

I'm lucky, I know I have a problem and am struggling to rectify it. Maybe Brad needs an intervention...?

Avatar image for deactivated-64c89b592b282
    deactivated-64c89b592b282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 38

@Buckfitches said:

Brad has a way with words, well written.

This totally needs to be quicklooked with the entire Giantbomb team though. Oh yes.

$5 says Brad "pulls-a-brad" in the first minute.

NeoTechni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By NeoTechni
    the ubiquity of the DS, doesnt apply to the requirement of a dsi or 3ds
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#46  Edited By jacksukeru

I know guys that own DS's, but I don't know anyone who owns a DSi, XL or a 3DS :(

nmarchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By nmarchan

Local multiplayer only.

Nintendo, I love you, but you are so clueless sometimes.

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Xeirus

@RockmanBionics said:

I know guys that own DS's, but I don't know anyone who owns a DSi, XL or a 3DS :(

Yup yup. I mean honestly, who gives two craps about updating a hand held every 6 months....... you're either rich or dumb

UltimAXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By UltimAXE

Nintendo needs to get onboard the internet train, like, now. So many wasted opportunities.

Oh, look. Here comes another one.

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Xeirus

@Max_Hydrogen said:

Edgy, snarky comments are their "best"....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.