Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Apr 27, 2000

The follow-up to Ocarina of Time sees the series stalwart Link embark on a journey to save the land of Termina from being crushed by the moon in three days. To defeat the Skull Kid, Link has to live the same three days over and over again.

Could I play Majora's Mask without spoiling OoT?

CountBubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By CountBubba

I'm trying to get a friend interested in the Legend of Zelda franchise by playing a game of it in front of them. I recently purhased Majora's Mask on the Wii VC store, which I've never played before. I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone by finally getting to experience MM and show it off to my friend to get them into Zelda at the same time. My biggest worry is that MM might contain major Ocarina of Time spoilers for my friend. It's probably a judgment call for most people who likely played them in the Order they were released, and I'm sure that that is the optimal experience, but I don't want to waste time playing through OoT again unless my alternative route would ruin things if my friend ended up wanting to go back and play OoT after all.

LiquidPenguins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By LiquidPenguins

There aren't any spoilers, just go ahead and play Majora. I should warn you, however, that most people did not enjoy Majora as much as OOT. Majora is my personal favorite of the entire series but the time factor puts a lot of people off.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By PerryVandell

Uh, no, I don't think there are any spoilers other than the fact that Navi left (if you even consider that a spoiler) so if he wants to play Majora's Mask first i think that should be fine. Still, have your friend play Ocarina of Time; it's a magnificent game!

JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JoRoNimo

The plot begins with Link searching for Epona, but aside from that I don't think there's too much plot crossover.

Dysnomia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Dysnomia
    @jorojoserojas said:
    " The plot begins with Link searching for Epona, but aside from that I don't think there's too much plot crossover. "
    Link is on Epona, he's looking for Navi.
    Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By Rxanadu

I remember playing that game when I was a kid.  From what I remember, I don't recall any major connections with OoT.  Then again, I've never played OoT.

Avatar image for thedukeofargyll
    TheDukeofArgyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By TheDukeofArgyll

There's really only one surprise in OoT and it might not even come up in MM.  Link fights evil (usually Ganon) to save  Zelda ... basically is every Zelda game, not to many surprises.

ry0wn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By ry0wn

MM would only spoil things you can do in the game, like ride Epona and play the ocarina. There are virtually no similarities in story besides character models, and MM's set in a completely different place than OoT.

mickyykcim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By mickyykcim

No spoilers, but Majora's Mask is a lot harder than OoT if that's a factor at all. 

CountBubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CountBubba

Thanks - and actually, O'm hoping the time thing might end up being a factor in MM's favor. Back to the Future 2 was great, etc. Probably not a perfect analogy.

ry0wn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By ry0wn
    @CountBubba said:

" Thanks - and actually, O'm hoping the time thing might end up being a factor in MM's favor. Back to the Future 2 was great, etc. Probably not a perfect analogy. "

That's actually one of the factors that turned a lot of people off about the game. If you were comparing it to BttF, it would be like having 70 movies by the end of the game, most with the same time period and place traveled to.
    Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By Rxanadu
    @Mickyykcim: if by hard you mean annoying due to the time restraints, then yes.  I think that was the first game I got a stratety guide for.  I would have never beaten that game without it.  I'm still pissed that I could never get the mask for that one couple in town (one dude has some fox mask on or something).   
    As a matter of fact, I think Twilight Princess is the only Zelda game I played that I barely needed a guide for.  Personally, that shows how good I've gotten at navigating dungeons in games now.
    Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rockanomics

Yo Link saves Zelda, gets the Triforce and defeats Ganon! Whoops, sorry.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By ESREVER

I can't look at Major's Mask the same anymore. Not since that haunted cartridge video/article. *shivers* 

No spoilers between the two games though. I don't think you can spoil a Zelda game. They aren't really that story intensive.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#15  Edited By jacksukeru
    @Rxanadu: Yeah the Kafei and Anju side quest was great, but I never figured it out either :/

It was only after I had finished the game that I decided to turn to a guide just so I could se how it ended. It was pretty good.
    tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tooPrime

There is barely a plot in either of those games. 

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#17  Edited By jacksukeru

But yeah Majoras Mask was pretty dark, especially for a Nintendo game. It did a pretty unique thing too, something I wouldn't mind seeing again sometime.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By TheGreatGuero

For the record, there's not really all that much to spoil in Ocarina of Time anyway. As for Majora's Mask, a lot of people are put off on the whole timed thing, but I think it was unique and one of the best games of the series. It's also probably the darkest and most emotional Zelda game. The two games are only very loosely connected.

fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fentonalpha
    donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#20  Edited By donutfever

All that'll get spoiled is something predictable about the ending, which you can tell from screenshots.

Trifork89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Trifork89
    @Rockanomics said:
    "Yo Link saves Zelda, gets the Triforce and defeats Ganon! Whoops, sorry. "

Actually neither Zelda or Ganon is in Majoras Mask.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.