Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Apr 27, 2000

The follow-up to Ocarina of Time sees the series stalwart Link embark on a journey to save the land of Termina from being crushed by the moon in three days. To defeat the Skull Kid, Link has to live the same three days over and over again.

Game Theory: Is Link Dead in Majora's Mask?

Bucklebutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bucklebutt

Check out this video if you haven't seen it, pretty interesting. Strange game! I'll be keeping this in the back of my mind while I play it, just downloaded it and I'm super excited to play!

(edit cause I'm a noob) As for my opinion on the theory, sadly I won't have one until I play a bit more than I have. Although it seems very difficult that it would be just coincidental that the DABDA fits so well(as described by the video). Has Eiji Aonuma ever said anything about his intentions with this game?

I dismissed this game when it came out because I was young and was hoping for more of a OoT clone and the structure of this game left a bad taste in my mouth after playing it for a bit(never finished). That was also back in the day when I pretty much payed zero attention to what was happening and something on this level of theory was way beyond me. I intend to play through it this time with a bit more of an open mind, seems like a very polarizing zelda game.

Also, I'm aware that there is a whole thing on the lore and order in which the zelda games take place chronologically but I'm pretty ignorant to all of that. Possibly someone with that knowlegde would be able to shed a bit of light on how this game fits into that exactly. I'll be playing through this game with none of that in mind, sort of as a separate mini story/struggle that Link faces.

Anyways, time to get this deku mask off my face!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S1SVkysIRw

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dude you are threading in to youtube spam .... I know this was mentioned on bombcast but it is quite probable that this thread will be locked ..... to the video in question yeah I already saw it a year ago maybe? I dont remember but still its quite the cool theory and I just wish that the "profesional" game critics bothered to this kind of stuff. There is no harm in coming up with theories and the like for games.

Bucklebutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My bad? With the re-release of this game it seems pretty topical and potentially people could weigh in on what they think. Might be interesting to some people. Are you even playing the game? or are you just trying to be a bummer? "I just wish that the "profesional" game critics bothered to this kind of stuff" what does that even mean? thanks for the attitude buddy!

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By joshwent

@bucklebutt: Like the duder above me said, just posting a video with 2 sentences is against the rules here. No "attitude" intended I'm sure, it's just a pretty strict policy to keep the boards from being overrun with random videos.

I'm a huge fan of Game Theory, and I'm sure your intentions were good in sharing this one, but you should add something of your own to your OP (like how valid you think the theory is, whether or not it would influence how you feel about the game, etc.) or the thread will get locked.

Hope you're enjoying the game. Link is dead, long live Link!

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Aetheldod

@bucklebutt: Sorry :( but threads like these get shot down easily nowadays so it was heads up dude .... No I´m not playing the game as a matter of fact never did , never was into the 3d Zelda games (or any Zelda game after Link to the Past) and I am praising the video , and what I meant (excuse the poor spelling and grammar I had on the previous response)is that more people should do this kind of break downs and I do mean people like the duders and game journalists/reviwers/critics. Not just people on youtube , and I do like the folks at game theory , dont get me wrong , Im just advocating for the more established outlets to do the same.

Bucklebutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aetheldod: ah I see, no problem, seems like I'm the one with the attitude now, sorry man. I don't post on here often and I was just hoping to spread something interesting with anyone currently playing so it might give them a different perspective.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

That video is pretty crazy, and convincing. I just feel like Nintendo wouldn't put that much thought into it though...

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

yup

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By s-a-n-JR

They clearly wanted to evoke Alice in Wonderland and Wizard of Oz in Majora's Mask, so the obvious conclusion is that it was all some kind of dream. But Link being dead is plausible. That game is hella creepy.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. "It was all the character's dying dream!!!" is even worse than "and it was all just a dream!" as far as clichês go. One of the guy's behind Majora's Mask recently came out as saying that the theory is indeed untrue, and I don't blame him. It's a fantasy game, where things like alternate dimensions that exist inside tree trunks are actually possible, believable things. The game doesn't NEED this idea, it's sinister and weird enough on its own steam without adding the ham-fisted dying dream element.

XixorSW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know I'm late to the party but, this theory has been long debunked by other YouTubers and indirectly from Nintendo themselves.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to hear a theory on what drives random people to make a new account on some forums, just so they can answer a thread that has been made years ago. Do they just google their inner thoughts on a whim and reply to something that seems to resemble those thoughts, even though the original post has been made 7 years ago at best? And that the OP and everyone else who has replied very likely already knows the answer by now?

I know the feel where I happen to find an old post and have the perfect zinger in mind to answer with, only to discover that the original post was made years ago. But that's where I just won't write my reply, because...why would I? I guess some folks get some satisfaction out of it, that's my own theory for this madness.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots: I assume it is people who have never heard of the site before, and whatever they punched into Google happens to match up with a thread title on Giant Bomb. In this case, I assume he just punched "link is dead in majora's mask theory" into Google, and proceeded to visit all the top search results just so he could necro old threads and say "This theory is incorrect." They almost always make just the 1 post, and then ghost, so replying to them is pointless. That seems to be the pattern.

As for the actual thread topic, Majora's Mask actually reminds me a lot of some of the handheld Zeldas; specifically, Link's Awakening and Phantom Hourglass. Basically, the kinda of Zelda where it kinda doesn't matter because the whole game maybe took place in a dream/alternate dimension/pocket dimension, and isn't ever going to be in the history books of Hyrule. I wish they would do more of these, since it gives them greater flexibility in the story, instead of always being about saving Zelda from Ganon.

Majora's Mask definitely has a more macabre, sinister tone than any other Zelda (different director/writer, I assume?), but the idea that Link is dead/dying is a pretty big stretch where you have to creatively reinterpret a lot of things. They're clearly going for much more of a Alice in Wonderland sort of vibe, as somebody pointed out 2 years ago.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

"They're really dead the whoooole time" is the laziest fan theory ever.

ZackWeiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot stand Game Theory. 'Could Mario ACTUALLY BE HITLER?? well let me harlem shake right in here with some facts'

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zackweiss: lol, Harlem Shake, an appropriate reference for a 2 year old thread.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I remember seeing this several years back and thought it was a neat theory. Thankfully now we have Hyrule historia to tell us all the carefully laid inside details about the zelda canon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.