Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Apr 27, 2000

The follow-up to Ocarina of Time sees the series stalwart Link embark on a journey to save the land of Termina from being crushed by the moon in three days. To defeat the Skull Kid, Link has to live the same three days over and over again.

Highly underrated. Better than OoT in my opinion!

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Aska

Anyone else prefer this game to Ocarina of Time?  I know I do.  It was darker, it told a better story (we've seen captured princess a million times over), and it was more emotional.  I just love it so much.  It got overshadowed because OoT was so amazing for it's time, no one really cared about Majora's Mask.
    It easily ranks in my top 5 favorite video games.

I'd just like to hear more thoughts from other fans of this game.

Blaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Blaine

I agree that its definately one of the greatest games ever (my 3rd favourite after OOT and Mario 64). I feel it doesnt get enough praise either. it was so dark and emotional at some points and was an exceptional game. definately very different in mood to OOT anyway. I think i prefered that aspect of it to OOT's "save the princess AGAIN".

good stuff.

FIRST POST btw.

b xx

Gaughan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Gaughan

I think the 3 day timer  and maybe the dark tone that put off a lot a people. Yet I agree, MM is better that OoT in my opinion. Althought there we still the same Zelda gameplay with the temples and collecting items to use in the temple are there, it felt completely different from OoT in many ways.

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Aska

The part with Darmini/Mikau, and the part with the music box house get me every time.  The Song of Healing is definitely my favorite song from a Zelda game.

Bilawal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Bilawal

Nah it's not better than Ocarina of time, however still a masterpiece regardless.

De5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By De5

I consider it the best Zelda game, and the second best game of all time behind Metroid Prime.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7  Edited By OGCartman

I like OoT much better

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aska
    De5 said:
    "I consider it the best Zelda game, and the second best game of all time behind Metroid Prime.
    "

Someone who thinks like me!  Super Metroid/Metroid Prime are absolute perfection.
    Henry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Henry

Majora's Mask was a great game in its own sense, but I think it turned off some Zelda fans because it was so different from any of the other games. The only thing that I did not really like was that it did not have very many dungeons, and the atmosphere that each one gave off did not bode well with me.

efrucht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By efrucht

In my opinion, it was the best Zelda game in the series!

peewi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By peewi

I agree with it being better than OoT, but then again, I never liked OoT that much.

crona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By crona

I never understood why OoT was considered better. I couldn't put the controller down when I played Majora's Mask, and to this time, I have yet to finish OoT. Maybe it's because I haven't gotten to the good part of OoT?

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By Atlas

When I was young I always preferred Majora's Mask because I enjoyed doing all the sidequests and such. I now agree that Ocarina of Time is a better game, but Majora's Mask may still be my favourite of the two. The story is brilliant, and the world of Termina feels more engrossing than Hyrule.

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gary_Jinfield

Majora's Mask is usually a great deal more difficult to become involved in due to the whole three day system and constant time limit forced upon the player. (Thus one must always plan ahead with a limit on general exploring as a time limit exists, regardless of whether one is able to lengthen the time limit. Although the tone  and storytelling may be considered superior to Oot, the time limit along with the relatively short length of the main quest provides a negative effect on gameplay for many individuals.

Philanthropy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Philanthropy

DEITY LINK

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Aska
    Gary_Jinfield said:
    "Majora's Mask is usually a great deal more difficult to become involved in due to the whole three day system and constant time limit forced upon the player. (Thus one must always plan ahead with a limit on general exploring as a time limit exists, regardless of whether one is able to lengthen the time limit. Although the tone  and storytelling may be considered superior to Oot, the time limit along with the relatively short length of the main quest provides a negative effect on gameplay for many individuals.
    "
    Very informative post.

I personally see the three day limit as a way to enhance gameplay.  Especially since you can almost always look up and see how close the Moon is coming down.   Plus, it has way more side things to do compared to OoT.  I've spent more time playing MM than OoT in my younger childhood, and have since then come to appreciate it a lot more.
    Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hulk

Hulk disagree strongly.  Majora's Mask better than most games but it at bottom of  Zelda pile.

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aska
    Hulk said:
    "Hulk disagree strongly.  Majora's Mask better than most games but it at bottom of  Zelda pile.
    "
    No way man.   :O
    synt4x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By synt4x

I agree. MM is better than OOT if you are in it for the story and character development. And the amount of side-quests is incredible.

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gary_Jinfield
    Aska said:
    "Gary_Jinfield said:
    "Majora's Mask is usually a great deal more difficult to become involved in due to the whole three day system and constant time limit forced upon the player. (Thus one must always plan ahead with a limit on general exploring as a time limit exists, regardless of whether one is able to lengthen the time limit. Although the tone  and storytelling may be considered superior to Oot, the time limit along with the relatively short length of the main quest provides a negative effect on gameplay for many individuals.
    "
    Very informative post.

I personally see the three day limit as a way to enhance gameplay.  Especially since you can almost always look up and see how close the Moon is coming down.   Plus, it has way more side things to do compared to OoT.  I've spent more time playing MM than OoT in my younger childhood, and have since then come to appreciate it a lot more.
    "

Although it is true many of MM's positive aspects are linked to the use of the three day cycle, the negative aspects which resulted from a constant time limit kept the game from reaching the same sort of audience as other games. (Not to mention forcing one to constantly plan out what one will do in the next cycle, particularly difficult on one's first play through where one is liable to become stuck at certain sections and doesn't fully know what to expect at each section)

Its just rather difficult to become entangled in the experience that MM provides, although the game does enjoy some popularity online at least.
    Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Bass

I did have a lot of fun with Majora's Mask, but I believe that its strengths were obviously on the side-quest portion of the game. It had more content overall, which made it a LOZ Fanboy's dream, but it was really lacking in the main quest portion, imo. I was able to do the whole mask speil once, and only once. It was a great game, but I don't really have any interest to go back and play it a bunch of times.

OoT, on the other had, I have replayed once every year (at least!), and continues to be a timeless classic. MM was a great game, no doubt, but OoT has held up better as a game. In terms of side-quests, though, MM can't be beaten.

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Aska
    Gary_Jinfield said:
    "Aska said:
    "Gary_Jinfield said:
    "
    Very informative post.

"

Although it is true many of MM's positive aspects are linked to the use of the three day cycle, the negative aspects which resulted from a constant time limit kept the game from reaching the same sort of audience as other games. (Not to mention forcing one to constantly plan out what one will do in the next cycle, particularly difficult on one's first play through where one is liable to become stuck at certain sections and doesn't fully know what to expect at each section)

Its just rather difficult to become entangled in the experience that MM provides, although the game does enjoy some popularity online at least.
    "
    Exactly, it's difficult for a lot of gamers to connect with MM unlike how easy it was for OoT.  I connected with it a lot an it tugged at some heart strings.  I find myself thinking about things that OoT never had me thinking about.  Such as how Link must be really messed up in the head after going through all this.  He'll save a region and help two people reunite as lovers, then just set everything back to the past, and all the good deeds he did just vanished.  Stuff like that, I think, makes this a better game than OoT.  It is so deep, and emotional, and I absolutely love it for that.
    Happy_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Happy_Cloud

It's by far my favourite in the series. I love how beautifully stylised and abstract it it. I maintain that my most memorable moment in gaming is entering the moon and seeing how beautiful and unexpected the inside is.

GaZZuM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By GaZZuM
    WARNING: SAP ALERT!

My favourite game of all time bar-none. I don't replay it though... which is strange because I play OoT again every few years, then again, I can pretty much walk through Termina in my head whenever I want ^ ^

Possibly my best moment in gaming is spending a whole 3-day cycle going through hell and high water to reunite 2 lovers, only to reset time and have them go back to being seperated. Not only does this game make you think, it makes you FEEL.

For me, my fave game of all time (so far) is Majora's Mask, but then just a smidge (we're talking a millionth of a centimetre here) below it is Ocarina Of Time.

Ocarina of Time was the first game I ever loved... Majora's Mask was the first game to love me back.
    Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dark_Link142

Yeah, this game is amazing. It's so memorable and I also prefer it over Ocarina of Time. It's basically Ocarina of Time but with a darker storyline and a harder difficulty. It's the game that any Zelda fan would want. Plus, Zora Link rocks! :P

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I don't think its underrated. Anyone you ask will tell you its a fantastic game. Its a forgotten gem, OoT was a technical masterpiece at the time, and that overshadows MM unfortunately, so people overlook it.

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Bennyishere

The moon fucked it up. It was better than OoT on many levels, but they just had to fuck it up by including such a silly time limit that makes you reset time whenever you accomplish anything.

ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By ZimpanX

Underated? - Yup
    Better than OoT? - Nope

Not imo anyways. :P

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Aska
    Bennyishere said:
    "The moon fucked it up. It was better than OoT on many levels, but they just had to fuck it up by including such a silly time limit that makes you reset time whenever you accomplish anything.
    "
    The way they present it though, makes it amazing.

I don't see how anyone can't see that.  D:

Aww man...
    uncle_andross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By uncle_andross

It was better. The story was better, the character development was awesome, and strangeness overall of the game was anothe reason I loved it. The only aspect I didn't like was most of the Great Bay Temple.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Whisperkill

agreed this is THE best zelda game

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By clubsandwich

My favorite Zelda as well, but OoT was the first one I played so I have some special feelings for it, that's why it's my favorite game of all time, but definiteley I consider MM the best Zelda.

Woffls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Woffls

I don't think it was as good. But that's really on the same level as saying I don't think having a swimming pool with a diving board is as cool as having a wave machine in my back garden. Both are totally awesome, but one is clearly better even though some might not like surfing...

... ok nevermind. I loved Majora's Mask, but Ocarina was special.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.