Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Apr 27, 2000

The follow-up to Ocarina of Time sees the series stalwart Link embark on a journey to save the land of Termina from being crushed by the moon in three days. To defeat the Skull Kid, Link has to live the same three days over and over again.

Holy Moses this game is creepy as hell

cabelhigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By cabelhigh

I dunno why, but I haven't really found a game to top this in weird-ass creepiness.  That mask is chilling.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By s10129107

The mask salesman is a pedophile.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ArcBorealis

Yeah, it pretty much has no problem showing you how screwed the world is, and still keeps an E rating among its surreal imagery and sequences. 

It's definetely dark, but compared to other titles in the series, its got great character emphasis. Everyone is suffering in some way because of Majora's Mask, and you can help them, however little it may be, to cheer them up. I find it fun to replay some character missions, as there are quite a few good ones. One of them spans the entire 3 days and the payoff is heartwarming.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By shirogane

The moon in this game gives me nightmares... 
    Godamn. 

That said, this is still one of my favourite Zelda games. Only second to Link to the Past.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ

The Legend of Zelda: OoT was also pretty fucked up at spots.  Example: 

No Caption Provided
    godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By godzilla_sushi

My first experiences were "Wait, that moon is bigger than it was before!" Thought I was losing it!

There are some great masks in that game. I have trouble remembering why it wasn't critically well received like the other Zelda's. In retrospect, it has a lot in common with Super Mario Galaxy 2. Sequels that are in the same universe and have the same controls, but completely ignore the first game's story in some way.

Also, you could ride that turtle! Weeee....

Dysnomia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dysnomia

This game freaked the hell out of me when I was little. Now...I just think the mask salesman is gonna rape me.

Kodo_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Kodo_Beast

The game in general didn't really creep me out, though there were a few spots like Gibdo. The dungeon under  Kakariko Village and the ruined Hyrule Castle Town (complete with ReDeads) in Ocarina of Time were more unsettling for me. 

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By apathylad

I still stand by my claim that Majora's Mask was a more interesting game than Ocarina of Time. Sure, OoT was a lot more focused and you didn't have to deal with the bizarre time system, but the story took the Zelda series in a different direction, unlike the typical 'save the princess' plot.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#10  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Godzilla_Sushi said:

I have trouble remembering why it wasn't critically well received like the other Zelda's. In retrospect, it has a lot in common with Super Mario Galaxy 2. Sequels that are in the same universe and have the same controls, but completely ignore the first game's story in some way.  Also, you could ride that turtle! Weeee.... "

No. It's not Mario Galaxy 2 at all. SMG 2 expanded upon the first game's concepts in intelligent (and often trippy) ways while still being more of the same awesome. Majora's Mask is an annoyingly paced, gimmicky game that shuns what makes Zelda great (dungeons 'n such) in exchange for sidequests and masks, some of which practically require a guide in their obscurity. Yes, it was something different, but it wasn't something good different. If you can't tell, I really don't like MM. It's the Zelda 2 of the 3D ones.  *expecting rebuke*
    raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By raviolisumo
    @ArbitraryWater: *rebukes*
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Mmmslash

MM is probably my third favorite Zelda game. It offered immense replayability, and a whole lot of fun. Also, that game throws dark, dawg. 

Then again, Wind Waker is my second favorite, so what do I know?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.