Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda

Franchise »

Nintendo's flagship fantasy action-adventure series created by Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka in 1985, the Zelda series is the source of many revolutionary gameplay conventions, and continues to be one of the most popular and critically acclaimed video game franchises of all time.

The Wand of Scanelon - what game and what GB co-pilot

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Poll The Wand of Scanelon - what game and what GB co-pilot (240 votes)

The Legend of Zelda (NES) 23%
    Zelda II: The Adventure of Link 9%
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 30%
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 28%
    The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 15%
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 20%
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 5%
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword 4%
    Jeff 48%
    Brad 23%
    Jason 6%
    Rorie 5%
    Dan while still in SF 18%
    Dan in NYC? 8%
    Vinny for some reason? 10%
    Alex for some reason? 4%

So the idea of Drew playing a Zelda game for the first time has been brought up. This hypothetical-but-also-inevitable feature could be called The Wand of Scanelon, because boy is it hard to fit Drew's name into any other Zelda title except...MaDrewra's Mask? ...I'll show myself out.

I don't want to drag Drew into another Metal Gear Scanlon debacle where he has to play like 5+ different games across several years, so say we're picking ONE Zelda as the introduction point for the series for Drew, then maybe he plays the other games on his own time or never or whatever he feels like. Where would you want Drew to start, if this was a premium feature where he only played one Zelda game for our viewing pleasure? And also, who would you want to be there with him to co-pilot?

• 
    The_Patriarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

The Drew Waker, with Brad!

iammattz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Might be good to have a rotating copilot.

The Brad Waker

A link to the Vinny

Jeffarina of Time

Danjora's Mask

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pazy

I would love to see a series with Jason, give both of the video guys a time to shine (and hopefully randomly get deep on some production stuff).

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

A Link To The Past.

Dan while Skyping (or whatever) in from NY, AND with Jeff sitting next to Drew.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Majora's Mask with Jeff.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

While Link to the Past is my favorite Zelda, I voted for the Ocarina/Jeff combo.

While some consider Ocarina of Time the best video game of all, it's also from the primitive early days of 3D controls and level design. It would be an interesting series to see Drew struggle with it while Jeff possibly questions that he gave it a perfect 10.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Drewlight Princess isn't a bad pun imo but I wouldn't really like to see him play that one. MM and with Jeff might be funny.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want a feature of Drew only playing the CD-i games and nothing more

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wind Waker HD, with Dan!

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

Link to the Past with Jeff & Dan. Link to the Past emphasizes the best parts of the series, has a good pace, and can be finished quickly. And I want Jeff & Dan exchanging commentary on why it's so good.

As a follow-up, I want Majora's Mask with Jeff & Dan just to hear them argue about it.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#12  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

It really depends on if you want to introduce him to 2D or 3D Zelda. For 2D you do Link to the Past, for 3D you do Ocarina of Time. Neither are my favorite but those are the games that established the conventions for 2D and 3D Zelda respectively. Dan would make the most sense as co-pilot because he seems like the biggest Zelda fan.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MezZa

I voted Ocarina of Time because I feel like that's the strongest base for what a 3d zelda is. Also would want Jeff to partner on it because I feel like he'd have good commentary without giving away puzzles and whatnot. Of course I wouldn't mind if they did LttP, MM, WW, or TP either.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By csl316

Link to the Past with Dan, as it's one of his favorite games ever (if not THE favorite). It would have a Metal Gear Scanlon sort of vibe with Dan fanboying over simple things.

Dan already did a Super Replay at Game Informer with a rotating cast and all sorts of good discussion. But I'm not huge on Zelda so I'm curious to see a newcomer's reaction to those old ones. (although I did treasure the original on NES).

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really depends on if you want to introduce him to 2D or 3D Zelda. For 2D you do Link to the Past, for 3D you do Ocarina of Time. Neither are my favorite but those are the games that established the conventions for 2D and 3D Zelda respectively. Dan would make the most sense as co-pilot because he seems like the biggest Zelda fan.

I don't think being the biggest fan necessarily makes you the best fit for something like this. It made sense for Dan to be there for Metal Gear, since he was the catalyst for it all, but something like this I think any one of them would work. They aren't really something you need an experienced sherpa to guide you through.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Either go original Legend of Zelda because it's NES hard and that could be funny, or Wind Waker because I think Drew would get a kick out of its cartoonish humor.

Anyone with Drew is fine. Jeff and Brad are only allowed if they aren't grouchy the whole time. (i.e., don't pick Majora's Mask or anything after Wind Waker)

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@zeik said:
    @TechnoSyndrome said:

I don't think being the biggest fan necessarily makes you the best fit for something like this. It made sense for Dan to be there for Metal Gear, since he was the catalyst for it all, but something like this I think any one of them would work. They aren't really something you need an experienced sherpa to guide you through.

I just don't want Jeff to start pushing his anti-Majora's Mask agenda on Drew in his formative Zelda years.

Immunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Immunity

A Drew to the Past with Brad is my vote. Although Jeff or Dan could be alright too. I think Dan said he plays through Link to the Past once a year, so he would probably be a good pick for it.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By alwaysbebombing

Drew and Jeff, obviously. While I would love for them to play through the 3D ones, it would turn into an Endurance Run and I don't think that's a possibility.

enemylandlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Though you said we should only pick one as a kindness for Drew I think it would be pretty interesting to see both LttP and OoT. It would let him see the most iconic versions of the two main types of Zelda game, giving him a little perspective on both the modern identity of Zelda, and the elemental roots of the series that led there. Probably both Jeff and Dan should come along.

If there can truly be only one I guess I'd pick OoT because I personally like it more. But it should definitely be one of those two.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

As a follow-up, I want Majora's Mask with Jeff & Dan just to hear them argue about it.

I'd much rather see this than Drew playing one for the first time. I didn't have to review the game so I tapped out on Majora's as soon as the world ended the first time and I realized what that really meant compared to how I'd played Ocarina. Plus it's not often you get two guys on a video that feel so differently about a game unless it's something ultimately inconsequential like Earth Defense Force. There are real stakes at hand with Majora's Mask, and I'd love to see Jeff and Dan battle it out over the course of 15 or so hours.

That said, it's super unlikely to happen now. Darn.

badseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Start at the beginning with "The Legend of Drew", co-pilot Jeff because he always brings a great historical perspective when it comes to nes era and older.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My heart says Wind Waker or LttP but my mind says Ocarina, probably the Gamecube version they put out in that Zelda 4-Pack, with Jeff or Dan as co-pilot.

Ocarina just seems like the one. Link to the Past is great, but is less indicative of what Zelda is, and more of what Zelda was.

JayPB08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Seeing Drew play through ALttP in a Metal Gear Scanlon-esque fashion would be interesting, if only because I think it would reveal some of the parts that required a Nintendo Power subscription back in the day, which many die-hard fans of that game tend to gloss over when calling it "timeless"

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

No preference weirdly enough. I guess I would like the one with the most/best memory of the game they are playing to co-host. As for game, I could do with any of them. Nostalgia or new sights is a win-win for me. Maybe the only one I wouldn't want to watch is Skyward sword, but they also wouldn't pick that.

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking: Oh geez, can I revote? This is probably the best.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@hatking said:

Majora's Mask with Jeff.

This is the only answer. Thread's done, folks.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Vinny for some reason?" is the answer to a lot of questions in life

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Pie

Yeah my first thought was Majora's with Jeff but not aure if that would be the best or worst. Think only Vinny has the positivity and upbeat attitude required for that pairing and game

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Silver-Streak

Link to the past + Jeff would be pretty rad. If I remember correctly, Jeff loves that game, and it's great to watch too.

Also, unsure how A Drew to the Past isn't the main suggestion for a feature name about past Zelda games.

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm gonna use this as a reference for my own first zelda game. Gonna get a 3DS next week and was thinking of LttP or Ocarina 3D. If I like those 2 I'd probably play a link between worlds next.

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Oracle Duology with anybody.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@altonbrown: Fuck yes, love those games. Capcom at it's prime, and it wasn't even their IP.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Start at the start, or don't do it at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.