Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Matrix Online

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Mar 22, 2005

The Matrix Online was an MMORPG that continued the story of the Matrix franchise past the third film, 'Revolutions'. The game featured a unique 'Interlock' combat system, flexible skill allocation and a constantly evolving storyline that players could interact with. The game was shut down on July 31st, 2009.

mxo community is not impressed

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By EpicSteve

If you defend the Matrix Online, you might wanna recheck where you are in life. 

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By EpicSteve

Can someone educate me on what Halloween Darkness is? 

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Systech

I remember playing MXO a few years back, and I'll tell you. It is a dark and scary place. I am legitimately surprised anyone would still care to respond to stuff like this. And I thought I knew that community's weirdness level already.

EDIT: It's fucking war. Everyone in this thread needs to sign up for a Matrix Online free trial.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Lowbrow

I believe Ryan himself said "Someone right now is watching this video who plays the Matrix Online and is screaming" or something to that effect.

It seems as though he was right lol.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#55  Edited By dethfish

I bet all those people on the mxo forum own trench coats and terrible sun glasses.

WholeFunShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#56  Edited By WholeFunShow
    @systech said: 

" I remember playing MXO a few years back, and I'll tell you. It is a dark and scary place. I am legitimately surprised anyone would still care to respond to stuff like this. And I thought I knew that community's weirdness level already.EDIT: It's fucking war. Everyone in this thread needs to sign up for a Matrix Online free trial. "
    I'd love to, but I'm having issues for some reason. I've created a station.com account, now what? Thanks.
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By tekmojo

Well I got kick out of their avatar sigs! Pure comedy in there, seems like they've been in the matrix just a little too long. No more worries... :)

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Pazy
    @WholeFnShow said:
    "
    @systech said: 

" I remember playing MXO a few years back, and I'll tell you. It is a dark and scary place. I am legitimately surprised anyone would still care to respond to stuff like this. And I thought I knew that community's weirdness level already.EDIT: It's fucking war. Everyone in this thread needs to sign up for a Matrix Online free trial. "
    I'd love to, but I'm having issues for some reason. I've created a station.com account, now what? Thanks.
    "
    Im pretty sure they have stopped it since it appears nowhere on Station.com or the MxO website.
    Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Babble
    @Babble said:
    " @StarFoxA said:
    " Halloween event? Since when is Halloween in July? "
    Also since when did a Halloween event mean that devs turn down the draw distance?
    "
    I was looking around on the MxO forums and apparently the devs are going through all the game's events in the last few weeks including what the did for Halloween. That would explain why they are doing it far from October. 
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By tekmojo

You can't create a new account, so don't even try. They aren't accepting any new subscribers.

WholeFunShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#61  Edited By WholeFunShow
    @Pazy said: 
    @WholeFnShow said: 
    "
    @systech said: 

"
    Im pretty sure they have stopped it since it appears nowhere on Station.com or the MxO website. "
    @tekmojo said:
    " You can't create a new account, so don't even try. They aren't accepting any new subscribers. "
    Roger that, thanks.
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#62  Edited By citizenkane
    @Hamz said:
    " To be quite fair I don't blame those poor MXO fans for being pissed. At the end of the day their beloved yet failed MMO is about to be closed, emotion is running high on their part. Still I feel they've sort of blown the Ryan and Vinny endurance run out of proportion. If anything it should portray how fucking ridiculous that game is. "
    I think that's the problem with them.  Ryan and Vinny have shown just how ridiculous The Matrix Online really is and the die hard fans of the game don't take too kindly to that revelation of truth.
    Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Absurd

Whatever, of course they're going to defend their shitty mmo.

JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By JammyJesus

NOT LIKE THIS

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By FlipperDesert
    "E) Anyone else think they got to the end of the revolutions and went - i don't get it?" Actually, I got to the end of Revolutions and went, "This is dumb."

"
    H) Bondage gear stuff - Sexual preference - fine i get that - but bondage chicks are hot." Yep, Matrix fan is big on bondage, don't even need to comment on that.

I love how seriously they're taking this.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#66  Edited By Hailinel
    @FlipperDesert said:
    " "E) Anyone else think they got to the end of the revolutions and went - i don't get it?" Actually, I got to the end of Revolutions and went, "This is dumb."

"
    H) Bondage gear stuff - Sexual preference - fine i get that - but bondage chicks are hot." Yep, Matrix fan is big on bondage, don't even need to comment on that.

"
    Somewhere, there are sane, mentally/emotionally balanced bondage fans that are laughing their asses off at these guys.

Or they would, if any such people actually posted to the MxO forums.
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#67  Edited By ArchScabby
    @FlipperDesert said:
    " "E) Anyone else think they got to the end of the revolutions and went - i don't get it?" Actually, I got to the end of Revolutions and went, "This is dumb."

"

"
    dude have you seen the movies?  The Matrix is serious business.  You don't joke about the matrix.
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#68  Edited By grilledcheez

Well, we'll find out what MMO they migrate to next and hunt them down in that. :) 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#69  Edited By Hailinel
    @ArchScabby said:
    " @FlipperDesert said:

"

"
    dude have you seen the movies?  The Matrix is serious business.  You don't joke about the matrix. "
    I only ever saw the first one.  I'm tempted to see the others, but only to laugh at them.  One of the funniest things I found about the movies is that after the first one came out, a philosophy professor at the University of Washington ran a course based around the philosophy of The Matrix.  I didn't take it, but I can assure you that there were not follow-up courses on the philosophies of Reloaded or Revolutions.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By HandsomeDead
    So now everyone's reacting to The Matrix in the same way that the people on the MxO forum are reacting to the MxO Endurance Run. Well done.
    bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#71  Edited By bubahula
    @Mikemcn:
    this is HERECY!! TREASON!! TRAITORS TO THE BOMB!.....they must be dealt with, after teaching him how to spell
    Intrepid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Intrepid

After gazing at the MxO video, there seems to be some helpful and understanding members of the community willing to help Ryan and Vinny in the commentary.  I would think that the comments on those forums are really the fanatical side of the MxO, the kind of peeps that will probably start their own MxO server or something after it is long gone.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#73  Edited By CL60
    @EpicSteve said:
    " Can someone educate me on what Halloween Darkness is?  "
    Nobody knows.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By CL60
    @Babble said:
    " @Babble said:
    " @StarFoxA said:
    " Halloween event? Since when is Halloween in July? "
    Also since when did a Halloween event mean that devs turn down the draw distance?
    "
    I was looking around on the MxO forums and apparently the devs are going through all the game's events in the last few weeks including what the did for Halloween. That would explain why they are doing it far from October. 
    "
    It was dark like that when I played the trial at christmas too though.
    k9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By k9

On a side note, the matrix is one of the top five movies of all time for me still to this day. It's basically a modernized version of Plato's allegory of the cave.

I don't think the spirit of the movie is suited for a MMO style game, and watching the 1st episode of matrix endurance run confirmed that lineof thinking. Though there is still a slight chance that the final event for this MMO will somehow be able to capture the spirit of the movies. We shall see.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Nasar7
    @Pazy said:
    "

Giant Bomb is definately an acquired taste which by the sounds of it they have never experience so its understandable they dont get it. Its also understandable they hate the video since the jokes are at the "expense" of MxO and they have spent so many hours and have a lot of there lives in it so its almost like they are making fun of them or someone close to them. As well as the fact that they did so badly understand the tutorial and how to play the game, they look at it from there perspective and see someone fumbling at something they know inside and out. For example the comment about "they complained about the draw distance but they didnt know the halloween event is going on" is a perfect example, they know the draw distance can be better so when someone complains they know the complaint can easily be addressed but they dont know that the draw distance can be better since they have never played it.

Some of the commentors realised that but some of them totally didnt but its understanable. Personally I found the video entertaining and intersting and cant wait for more. Though im less excited about the point when they meet other players now as I dont expect a great reaction and potentially griefing.

"
    I agree. And in defense of the MxO community, I'm sure that there were parts of the tutorial that are as obvious and natural to an MMO player as pressing the start button on a console game.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Al3xand3r

There are more replies here than in that thread, and half the replies there are not even against it. Good job, Giant Bomb Defense Force... Maybe you guys get more worked up over negative criticism of this website than the people you accuse as fanboys every time something like this occurs? Just a thought... Also, with the way they worded it it sounds like "Halloween darkness" is simply a script that runs on more than one occasion, but is most famous from some Halloween event. With the game almost over, it seems fitting to have that forebodding atmosphere. If that's what it is. I didn't watch. And if it's been already said, well, great, I only skimmed through that thread since it's small, unlike this one...

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#78  Edited By Deusoma
    @StarFoxA:
    To be fair, maybe it just works that way on MxO. Kingdom of Loathing has its Christmas analog once a month, if I remember correctly.
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#79  Edited By StarFoxA
    @Deusoma: Yeah, apparently the game is going through all of its events in the last few weeks before it gets shutdown. But from what I've heard, it's been going on a while and really isn't that great of a "celebration."
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By CL60
    @StarFoxA said:
    " @Deusoma: Yeah, apparently the game is going through all of its events in the last few weeks before it gets shutdown. But from what I've heard, it's been going on a while and really isn't that great of a "celebration." "
    No they are not, it was like that when I tried the trial at or well before christmas
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#81  Edited By Lies

Man, I really hope next time they sign on they just get ganked by a bunch of random users. That would be hilarious. Just join in, finally get out of the bot area, then BAM! Dead

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By TwoOneFive

also, if there is voice chat going on, i can't wait to see the guys go against other players. 

@lemon360 said: 
    " only giantbombers will sit through 58 minutes of that game, and none of these guys are from giantbomb. but poor vinny and ryan. sounds like their gonna get their ass handed to them when they login. i did some research and it turns out they entered the only pvp server :P "
    no these guys are just talking shit. they say that now but you watch, they will be star struck when they run into tonkatruck. 
    Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#83  Edited By Wildfire570

The MXO Community laughs at Ryan and Vinny's attempt inside The Matrix Online...until the day comes when the servers shut down. Who has the last laugh now?!

thefreshmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By thefreshmaker

I actually feel kind of bad that a game the mxo community really enjoys is being taken down, so I can somewhat empathize with their reaction toward the video.

But come on--get a sense of humor, and lighten up.

Osphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Osphere

Priceless.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#86  Edited By asurastrike

lol

"coming right now when the game is shutting down, is like having some anNOYing teenagers burst into the hospital room of a dying loved one, as you're sitting there trying to comfort them or just be with them during their last days, and said teenagers make rude comments about your loved one. I can't bring myself to watch it, so I'm just going to take everyone's words for it."

These people are VERY into the Matrix.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By maxszy
    @MattyFTM said:
    " That wasn't as bad as I expected. Many MMO communities would have exploded into uproar over it. "
    This exactly.

Most MMO forums...can be A LOT worse. A LOT WORSE.
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By zityz

MMO Forumns I find to be a breeding grounds of hatred and scruteny. Those are dangerous waters to tred in.

Callumrides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#89  Edited By Callumrides

god those guys on the mxo forms are werid as fuck seriously why are they so upset its only a bit of fun jees they need to get a life or at least upgrade to a better mmo

Callumrides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#90  Edited By Callumrides
    @systech:  its on the battle between GB vs MxO lol
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#91  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Asurastrike said:
    " lol

"coming right now when the game is shutting down, is like having some anNOYing teenagers burst into the hospital room of a dying loved one, as you're sitting there trying to comfort them or just be with them during their last days, and said teenagers make rude comments about your loved one. I can't bring myself to watch it, so I'm just going to take everyone's words for it."

These people are VERY into the Matrix.
    "
    SERIOUSLY. Lmao, I'm sure I wouldn't call ANY game my loved one. Or even compare a game to a loved one. That includes Zelda Ocarina of Time too, and believe me if I had a game that was a loved one, it would probably be Zelda.
    NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By NoDeath

Someone needs to post over there and link back to this thread. I want to see what happens then

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By tekmojo
    @NoDeath said:
    " Someone needs to post over there and link back to this thread. I want to see what happens then "
    What are you waiting for?
    NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By NoDeath
    @tekmojo said:
    " @NoDeath said:
    " Someone needs to post over there and link back to this thread. I want to see what happens then "
    "
    Arrrrg! I was foiled:
    "Please note that you must have an active game account to post and send private messages here on the official forum."
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By tekmojo
    @NoDeath said:
    " @tekmojo said:
    " @NoDeath said:
    "
    Arrrrg! I was foiled:
    "Please note that you must have an active game account to post and send private messages here on the official forum." "
    Damn that's lame, nice try.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#97  Edited By mikemcn
    @EpicSteve said:
    "Can someone educate me on what Halloween Darkness is?  "
    Its the type of darkness that emulates horrible draw distance in games, and it only happens in July
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#98  Edited By FrankCanada97

Wow those guys need to get a sense of humour, bunch of elitist pricks. I bet they don't even know who they are talking about.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By TheGremp

I wanted to punch a lot of those guys...  They don't even know who they're talking about.

Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Happy

This thread isn't really looking any better then their thread. Maybe we could be the bigger community and play nice? Pretty please?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.