Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead

Game » consists of 41 releases. Released Nov 21, 2012

Presenting an original story in the same franchise as the comic book series of the same name, The Walking Dead is a five-part adventure game from Telltale that follows the story of a convicted murderer, his guardianship over a young girl, and his co-operation with a roaming group of survivors in a zombie apocalypse.

Gameplay dragging the game down?

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Sambambo

Hey,

While playing The Walking Dead I am constantly frustrated by the 'puzzles' they throw at you.

None of them are hard, they just take a decent amount of time.

If they only had a few, but made them hard, or just cut most of them out it would make the whole experiance so much better!

The story is great, but my god do I hate actually playing it.

What do other people think?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By AndrewB

Episode 3 was the first time I died multiple times. I don't want to say that the gameplay is dragging the game down, because without it it would just be a short visual novel, but there are certain puzzles that I get annoyed by for their twitch reflex necessity combined with the obscurity of where you're supposed to click (and I don't play the game on the setting that's supposed to have everything that is clickable highlighted).

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Terramagi

I died repeatedly at the train station, because for some reason the game suddenly switched to a D-pad configuration, so I didn't know how to toggle between "down" and "right" with a FUCKING MOUSE WHEEL.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By bkbroiler

I find the puzzles satisfying. They're not hard, true, but I find them logical and kind of fun. Stuff like starting the train was enjoyable for me. There is something tactile about the puzzles that is cool... just flicking switches and shit like that. If they were harder I think it would really destroy the pace of the story. Wouldn't want to get stuck in one place for too long.

The only part of the gameplay I find annoying is when fast-paced stuff happens it stutters and freezes like crazy. Really kills the flow of the combat and makes it hard to input the buttons correctly. So annoying.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By laserbolts

I disagree I find the puzzles enjoyable and I love the way you don't have to wreck your brain to get through the game. Only bummer is the frame rate being pretty awful on the 360 quite often.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By AndrewJD

I have to agree and I think it's a real shame because the gameplay is harming a potentially great episodic game. I love the way they handle everything in regards to the story but the puzzles just involve you going to every room or area and clicking on everything. To make things worse Lee normally moves really slowly and sometimes the camera is pretty bad, then if you miss something you have to go back and check everywhere again.

It's simply a bad combination of boring and frustrating, if they could improve on that just a little bit it would be one of my favourite gaming experiences for quite some time.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kishinfoulux

Episode 2 was great because, odd as this may sound, there wasn't much actual gameplay. The story played out and you made your choices. I feel the game is at its best when that is the case.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BraveToaster

I don't even like point-and-click adventures or tedious crap in my games, but I enjoy TWD.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Sackmanjones

The only blemish to me is the visual quirks on ps3. Wish I had my pc before this game out and I would have gotten it in there. Got a 5 dollar discount though

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, you need them for it to be a game. The only thing dragging these down is the fucking terrible framerate and hitches the game has for whatever reason.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By jozzy

@Terramagi said:

I died repeatedly at the train station, because for some reason the game suddenly switched to a D-pad configuration, so I didn't know how to toggle between "down" and "right" with a FUCKING MOUSE WHEEL.

Yeah, I had that exact same problem. The mouse wheel thing is annoying anway, is there any other way to switch between the interaction choices?

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Terramagi said:

YES, I think I died there like 5 times, and I was starting to get really pissed.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Terramagi

@Random45 said:

@Terramagi said:

YES, I think I died there like 5 times, and I was starting to get really pissed.

Worst part is, I did it right the first time, but I died because I took a split second too long. So I thought it was a red herring.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I hate it when gameplay gets in the way of my games.

beatnik11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By beatnik11

Its not so much the "puzzles" that get in the way its that its just that the mechanics do not work very well when you are in an action sequence and need to rush. I also died in the train station when I needed to pop the zombie in the head with my gun, I knew exactly what to do but since the head was moving around so much and the hit box was rather small it just wouldnt give me the prompt to shoot. It may seem counter intuitive but it isnt the actual "gameplay" so to speak that creates the visceral and intense moments in this game, its the way the story is paced and how it unfolds, the actual action scenes almost seem to take you out of the game

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Djratchet

Whenever you are playing with a gamepad on PC, or playing one of the console versions, they should absolutely allow you to control the gun-wielding sequences with the FUCKING RIGHT STICK AND A SHOULDER BUTTON. I died on multiple occasions because I had to shift my aim with the left stick and mash X. And I would miss, because that cursor control isn't made for shooting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.