Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead

Game » consists of 41 releases. Released Nov 21, 2012

Presenting an original story in the same franchise as the comic book series of the same name, The Walking Dead is a five-part adventure game from Telltale that follows the story of a convicted murderer, his guardianship over a young girl, and his co-operation with a roaming group of survivors in a zombie apocalypse.

No save file?

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

So I just bought episode 3 off of XBLA and I went to start it and it asks if I want to randomly generate choices. I have played both episodes one and two and I've checked my hard drive and it says I have a save file. I'm now probably going to have to start a new game. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't mind playing through the first two episodes again since the game is really good, but this is seriously lame.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By beargirl1

i haven't had anything like that happen to me. that sounds terrible. the XBLA version continues to have some bad issues.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

I don't know what happened. After restarting the game twice it finally recognized my save. 

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MikeGosot

Can you pick the choices when starting a new game?

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By hbkdx12

happened to me on PS3. I had 3 save files. one for my blind playthrough. a second for alternate choices and a 3rd for my mom and her choices.

@MikeGosot:You can pick any chapter to start at but if you start at any chapter other than 1, it'll tell you that it's gonna generate random choices leading up to the episode you're playing.

I really wish telltale made it so that you could atleast pick the major choices from previous episodes without playing through them all again.

PacManFevaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By PacManFevaa

I just went in to start playing Episode 3 and when I hit Play it took me to play Episode 1. Then when I dashboarded out and tried to go back into the game it had no record of me playing Episode 2. This game seems to break more and more with every episode that's released.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By ozzdog12

@AjayRaz: yeah i bought it on ps3 cause I NEVER play it anymore. It came with a theme or something, but I've heard people have been having a lot of issues with it on 360...so GO ME!

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cthomer5000

@ChadMasterFlash said:

I don't know what happened. After restarting the game twice it finally recognized my save.

I had the same thing. No save file... exited and re-entered the game, and it was there.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@PacManFevaa said:

I just went in to start playing Episode 3 and when I hit Play it took me to play Episode 1. Then when I dashboarded out and tried to go back into the game it had no record of me playing Episode 2. This game seems to break more and more with every episode that's released.

This just happened to me. I was I believe near the end of episode 3 too... has this happened to other people?

Really killing my feelings about this game, which I've otherwise really liked. This bug is just inexcusable. I don't know if I want to replay this much of the game again.

EDIT: Well just tried going back in like some has said fixed it for them, and it's still gone. My save game says Episode 1. However, Episode 1 and 2 both show the "Stats" screen you can see by pressing Y and it has my correct choices. I guess maybe I just need to restart 3. I hope so at least. Not in the mood to try it out now.

superjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By superjoe

This happened to me just now when starting Episode 4 on PC. Game wouldn't start in Win7 anymore, so I had to set compatibility to WinXP. But now the game can't detect my previous saves even though I can see 41 autosave files in My Documents/Telltale. It only gives me the option to start episode 4 with randomly generated choices, so my "Previously on The Walking Dead" recap was all messed up.

EDIT: Was able to load my last Episode 3 save by doing this. The game seems to put priority on the last timestamp it recognizes when it autosaves.

https://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=605617&postcount=12

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By DJJoeJoe

This save file bullshit 'just' happened to me, and it's surprisingly frustrating. Hopefully a backup I had made via a third party game save backup app will save my day, I am re-installing the steam copy now just to clear out any rogue files (it weirdly left a few files after deleting local files, maybe it will help something :S ) If this fixes things I'm going to be happy, if not I'll try the fix referred to by SuperJoe since I haven't seen that one yet. It's just kinda exhausting looking through forum after forum for a solution to this dumb stuff, and it makes you feel like the dev doesn't give a shit. I feel like if I was an indie dev and this stuff was happening I'd go out of my way to at least jump into the pile and talk about the issue, even if a solution wasn't apparent even to the dev etc.

EDIT: Proper backup seemed to work wonders, I'll have to remember once I've finished this episode to do another backup (I'm not really diligent on the backups) cause it was a quick fix.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PolygonSlayer

Save Games are apparently extremely hard to do for Telltale... happened to me as well T_T Fucking bullshit, I bought Walking Dead late and played episode 1, 2 and 3 in one go... is this a problem after each episode on the PC? Can Telltale really not work out how fucking save games work?!

Edit: Well, that fix I found didn't do shit for me, just made my screen go black whenever I load a save file. Warning to anyone out there looking to play this... my advice, wait until all the episodes are out! This is just bullshit. I'm going to wait it out for episode 5 now, can't be bothered with this nonsense.

SuicideFLip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By SuicideFLip

So I have a save game problem on 360 where no matter which save file I choose, it loads file 3. If I delete file 3 and copy the one I actually want to play to that spot, it loads fine. Hope that helps someone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.