Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

How much do I need to know about the first game?

fahrenheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By fahrenheit

I played the first game heck I bought it 3 times. But it's one of them games i could never see to the end. Now with Witcher 2 on us how much do I need to know story wise from the first do you guys think ill need to know?

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Zimbo

Geralt is a monster hunter with amnesia.

Big spoiler for the witcher 1

and thats about it I think. I'm not sure whether any other story related elements of the first game will have much affect on the second.
    fahrenheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By fahrenheit

Thanks, hope there is a recap or something to get me in the game. Maybe in a few years ill beat Witcher 1

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MeierTheRed

If you don't have it already go pick it up on GOG for 5$, and play it sooner than later.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By jorbear

I would suggest you find a summary somewhere online. There are probably going to be a lot of references that would mean more if you played the game, but I think reading a summary will do.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ryanwho

I enjoyed Witcher 2, but I don't know that playing it will be integral to this experience. The ending does set up for the next game, but its one single ending. If you don't feel like putting Witcher back in:

But I don't think they'll shut out quests based on what you did the first game. Cus it takes place in a new area, so your previous exploits are just vague rumors.
    fahrenheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fahrenheit

Thanks to all the reply also point out anyone want to add me on steam  my name is Fahrenheit on there

Jangowuzhere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Jangowuzhere

The devs have said you don't need to play Witcher 1 to understand Witcher 2.

TW2 will include a save importing feature which will transfer the choices you made in the first game, but very little info has been said about it since it was announced. I'm actually wondering if its even in the game honestly.

OdinsThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OdinsThunder

I'm not touching Witcher 2 until I'm done with the original. The sequel will be a much richer experience having gone through the first and not just having read a summary of the quest line.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By damswedon

There were sex cards.

jim2point0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jim2point0

I was wondering this too. Tried to play the first... and found out it had the worst combat of any game I've ever played. Wait til an icon appears and click... ugh.

So far, from what I can tell, the 2nd game will have better combat. I'm just not sure if it's going to be a memorable game... or just another RPG to hold me over til Diablo 3. Decisions decisions...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.