Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Very low fps

Cimi93x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Cimi93x

Need help with witcher 2. I updated it to 1.2 and still get bad framerate even at lowest possible graphic settings. I have a AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 5200+ 2.7 ghz, 2 gb ram and Nvidia 9500gt graphic card. I know it's not a very good system, but i was able to run Mass Effect 2, Dragon age 2 and almost any other game on highest or high settings (minus the aa). Can i somehow play witcher 2 on pc, or should i just wait for it to come out for xbox360?

newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By newhaap

How bad is the frame rate? I imagine you should get 20 fps ish with that setup, depending on your resolution

Cimi93x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Cimi93x
    @newhaap
    I got around 12, 13 fps. 15 max. I tried playing with lower resolutions than my natural 1440x900 but that made the game look horrible, to a point that i couldn't even read the letters.
    Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Chronologist

Try installing the latest nvidia drivers and the 1.2 update. 

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By AlexW00d

That's a pretty pants set up that's why. This game is pretty hardware intensive.

Cimi93x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cimi93x
    @Chronologist
    I did, both of those...
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Evilsbane

@Cimi93x: TURN OFF Ubersampling if that is on, even if you had a gtx580 that setting will kill the frame rate.

Cimi93x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cimi93x
    @Evilsbane

Like i said everything is set to maximize performance, i even tweaked the .ini document. I guess my PC just can't handle it, and i'll have to wait for the console version, even though i enjoy playing games on PC much more than on my xbox360. I'm a little disappointed in CDProjekt for not thinking about users with lower-performance PCs. I mean you can have great graphics like in ME2 without making the game so demanding.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Evilsbane

@Cimi93x: Running the game at max I get a solid framerate it seems scalable but I haven't tried it myself on a lower end system, maybe you need to clean your system up I am serious your specs aren't AWFUL, defrag run scans do that jazz if you haven't been. Other than that sorry dude.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By valrog

I don't know, but you should be able to have a pretty looking game with those specs. Here, this thread may help on improving performance without sacrificing the visuals too much.

PDC_Emulator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PDC_Emulator

If you have everything set to the lowest settings then it may not be a video card bottleneck. Have you tried leaving task manager open whilst running the game? This way you can see if the CPU is pegged at 100%, or if you're seeing high page file usage.  High PF usage would typically indicate you need more memory, however you're running 2GB of RAM (the recommended amount) so I would not imagine it being a memory issue. 

If you're running Vista/7, also try turning UAC off.

Cimi93x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cimi93x
    @Evilsbane
    I re-installed windows xp sp3 recently, and using kaspersky internet security since, so viruses or system shouldn't be the problem.
    newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By newhaap

@Cimi93x: Do you have 3D Vision installed with your NVidia driver? If you do, try uninstalling them. There was a problem with the game's interaction with 3D Vision that causes horrible frame rate, and I know they said they fixed it in the latest driver, but maybe they didn't?

Cimi93x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cimi93x
    @newhaap
    I looked in control panel and didn't find any 3D vision or anything like that...
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By metal_mills

I think your computer just isn't powerful enough to run it unfortunately. The game is much more demanding than ME2 because it has higher textures, more effects, it's built with a decent PC in mind.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By fattony12000
    @Cimi93x said:
    @Evilsbane: I re-installed windows xp sp3 recently, and using kaspersky internet security since, so viruses or system shouldn't be the problem.
    Get yourself Windows 7 at the minimum, double that RAM as well, and maybe do some OCing. That graphics card is going to be holding you back something serious though. I can just about run Witcher 2 on my crappy system with a 3.4GHz Dual Core, 512MB of video memory, 4GB RAM, Windows 7, 1280x1024 (old Dell 4:3 monitor). I get something like 25-35 fps.
    Phoenixphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Phoenixphire

I'm having a similar problem. Running on minimum settings 

Processor - Intel (R) Core (Tm) i3-2100 CPU@3.10Ghz 3.10Ghz 
    Ram - 4Gb 
    System - 64 bit 
    Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce G405 (1 GB dedicated) 
    Memory - 1.5 Terrabytes

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.