Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Witcher 2 is the RPG Bioware WISHES it could make.

• 66 results
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

After playing through to the conclusion of Act I in Witcher 2:Enhanced Edition on 360 I now see why there has been so much pomp and circumstance surrounding this title. This executes on just about every level better than any Bioware or Bethesda RPG I've played in recent memory. First off ....choices. Choices matter and the thing about the way they lay the choices out is there is never really any implied good or evil. Its just choice and concequence. The final choice you make at the end of Act I so dramaticaly changes the course of the game that you instantly get curious about what the other side of the fence is like.

And thats the thing that is amazing. The story is Mature and not just "M" rated with superfluous tits and blood although there are plenty of both. Which leads me into another point. This is the first game where the sex scenes didn't make me absolutely just cringe at how corny and awful they were. I mean I'm sorry Dragon Age I love you but your cheesy ass fireside "sex" scenes in DA:O were particularly awful.

The story is dense with lore and politics and while it can get confusing at times keeping up with all the jargon I find it refreshing that a story so makes me have to work for the satisfaction of "getting it" not many games are that dense with story. The combat is equally amazing. Like Dark Souls you have to strike with purpose and will get instantly chewed up if you try to button mash. They also did an amazing job making a very deep yet really easy to learn alchemy system. It seems daunting at first but it soon becomes second nature. Its that rare kind of game that will make you think about it constantly even when your not playing it.

I've got to really take my hat off to CDProjekt Red the fact they got the RED engine to scale to the now 7 year old hardware of the 360 and still look as good as it does is nothing short of black magic. And these guys are generous too. A soundtrack and a quest handbook all for free with the game? Amazing.

These guys know whats up and I can not wait to see what Witcher 3 looks like assuming that is happening. So uh...now that I'm done typing all of this nonesense out I think its time for more Witcher!

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Dagbiker

Different games different times.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Bell_End

and it has swords, ME didnt have swords so it couldnt of been a proper RPG

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Dagbiker

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By phrosnite

I think Bioware are fine, drinking wine on their Island-yacht.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Gaff

Really? I mean, really?

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By killacam

i WANT to feel like i'd enjoy this, and everything about your post says i would... but i don't know if i can deal with its preparatory style of play the guys were talking about on the bombcast.. choosing your potions before each battle and whatnot. i feel like i'd just want to rush through battles so i could go explore, pick up damsels and such.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By blueduck

Yeah, it's hands down a way better RPG but it's actually written for people over 16 so it doesn't have the massive teenage gamer hype surrounding it.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Animasta

@killacam said:

i WANT to feel like i'd enjoy this, and everything about your post says i would... but i don't know if i can deal with its preparatory style of play the guys were talking about on the bombcast.. choosing your potions before each battle and whatnot. i feel like i'd just want to rush through battles so i could go explore, pick up damsels and such.

the potion stuff is only for like really hard battles and generally you'll know when those are coming. I mean I died a couple times on normal when I first played it on PC, but now they have a fairly decent tutorial so it's not hard out of the gate like it was.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By connerthekewlkid

Thats nice

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By donchipotle

Hey guys, only BioWare makes WRPGs anymore.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By TheHBK

I doubt Bioware is crying about not making the Witcher, we know which game has sold more copies. As Jim Rome says, scoreboard.

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sjosz

Different strokes for different folks. I'm enjoying the game myself, but it's a pretty different game from what Mass Effect or Skyrim is.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mikeeegeee

@Demoskinos: I'm glad the game is getting increased exposure via the 360. It made some waves on PC when it was released, but I don't think it has, even to this day, achieved the consumer recognition it deserves. Head and shoulders above many, many other RPGs. I hope it sells well on 360 and spells great news for CD Projekt.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SlightConfuse

i feel like its an apples and oranges thing but both make awesome games so im not going to complain.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By valrog

@blueduck said:

Yeah, it's hands down a way better RPG but it's actually written for people over 16 so it doesn't have the massive teenage gamer hype surrounding it.

^^

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I agree. Also the sex scenes are better!

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By ztiworoh

@killacam: The story is fantastic, and the combat isn't boring on easy, but you'll die less. I think it's one of those games where there's nothing shameful about playing it on easy.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By killacam

well i'm sold. thanks for the push.. now the issue of fitting it in with everything else that needs playing. i guess my ps3 disc drive picked a good time to die.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By laserbolts

Gonna wait for a price drop. I just got burned by kingdom of amalur and don't feel like throwing money at an rpg I know nothing about.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

A lot of people instantly jump to "Apples and Oranges", but I think it's fair to claim that the choices are handled significantly better. I have never played a game where choices had such an immediate and dramatic impact on my story. Modern Bioware games offer important choices at very dramatic and emotionally impactful moments, but there's always a clear good and bad choice in ME, and the pay-off for the choices is always disappointing.

Dragon Age did offer some great "grey" choices, but again, their long-term effects were a let-down.

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ztiworoh

@killacam: Also, if you do find it too easy - I'm into Act 2 and as I level up it definitely seems like I'm having to use less strategy - you can switch the difficulty on the fly. But it's a gorgeous game, has a really well written, rich, mature story, and other than some weird interface design choices, I love it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By musubi

@S0ndor: Theres also the fact that Mass Effect is a horrible role playing experience because you are consantly playing for Paragon/Renegade points. Knowing that your always going to pick the paragon choice because you need the points is utterly BORING and one of the big reasons I kinda got fed up with the Mass Effect series.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@laserbolts said:

Gonna wait for a price drop. I just got burned by kingdom of amalur and don't feel like throwing money at an rpg I know nothing about.

This game shits all over Kingdoms of R A Salvabore.

kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kyrieee

I'm really glad that the game is getting a good reception on 360 and I mostly I agree with what you said, but I think you're selling BioWare a little short. Yes, there is a lot they could learn from CDProjekt, but in my opinion the opposite is also true. While Witcher 2 has some great characters the game never explores them as much. Roche has the potential to be as awesome as Garrus, but there's simply not enough of him in the game to develop him that much. For all their faults BioWare still does characters really well.

I think Witcher 2 has much better story than any BioWare game (their stories are never that good actually, it's usually "save the world from an unknowable evil) but I'm still more attached to the characters in Mass Effect.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Demoskinos said:

@S0ndor: Theres also the fact that Mass Effect is a horrible role playing experience because you are consantly playing for Paragon/Renegade points. Knowing that your always going to pick the paragon choice because you need the points is utterly BORING and one of the big reasons I kinda got fed up with the Mass Effect series.

Well, I dunno about that. It did inform the small decisions, sure, but I played through Mass Effect about 4 times and I never, ever, had the stomach to kill the Rachni queen, or sacrifice the council. Those were great moments in gaming, I thought. They basically forced me to pick between my hunt for points, and my own morals. I also never gave the Collector base to TIM.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Marz

it's a very good world, something that feels grounded in reality even though there are elves dwarves, dragons , magic and shit..... 

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By musubi

@SeriouslyNow: Your not kidding. That game is so boring.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By phantomzxro

@Dagbiker said:

pretty much this

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Marz said:

it's a very good world, something that feels grounded in reality even though there are elves dwarves, dragons , magic and shit.....

and alcohol trolls who are contracted bridge builders. :)

ElNeebre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ElNeebre

Is it mandatory to play and understand the story of the first game to jump into the second game?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@ElNeebre said:

Is it mandatory to play and understand the story of the first game to jump into the second game?

Nope, the story is more of a follow up to the series of books.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Good, powerful post. Sadly I've had a shitty experience with the game for the past 10 months and I slowly turned into an angry Witcher 2 hater, but your post reminded me of just how outstanding the game is. Witcher 2 is a fucking gaming achievement, no question there. 
    Hopefully one day I'll revisit it and have a better experience. Glad you're enjoying it!

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jimbo

I didn't even realise the Act 2 split thing was so dramatic until seeing people discussing it after I'd finished the game. Pretty amazing really considering the production values. I can't see Bioware attempting something quite like that anytime soon, but I don't think they can really be accused of a lack of ambition either. Granted it didn't exactly come off as well as it might have in the end for Mass Effect, but what they set out to do with that franchise was pretty ballsy.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By Daveyo520

Oh buuuuuuurrrrrrrrnnnnnnn.

I just have too many games to play right now. Like I still have all of Skyrim. Too much fantasy for now. Eventually when I run out of games I will get it.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jimbo

@ElNeebre said:

Not mandatory, but I'd say it's recommendable just for getting a handle on Geralt's relationships and some of the factions and themes involved. Also just because The Witcher 1 is fantastic.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By Phatmac

HEY GUYS LET'S HATE ON BIOWARE AGAIN CAUSE THAT IS VERY ORIGINAL AND SMART RIGHT!??

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By kerse

@killacam said:

Its not every battle, most of the potions last for 10 minutes, so its not as bad as it sounds. It even puts the timers at the top of the screen.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Seppli

I definitely believe Bioware would love to craft their games like CDprojektRED does. They can't though. Politics. Of being part of corporate EA. Of targeting and answering to the somewhat prudish American mass market. To hit that more honest 'mature' note, rather than going for the hard PG-13 they aim for. I believe many at Bioware wish circumstances allowed for them to do that too. In that sense, you are right.

And that it feels structurally and mechanically very much like a Bioware game - better in many ways for sure. CDprojektRED follows Bioware's structural formula down to the underwhelming ending (even if that's a current trend with Bioware games, rather than a legacy).

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TentPole

Best RPG I have played since Baldur's Gate 2.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @laserbolts

There's this amazing thing called the internet now where you can learn all about something with the click of a button before you purchase it.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jimbo

@Seppli said:

I definitely believe Bioware would love to craft their games like CDprojektRED does. They can't though. Politics. Of being part of corporate EA. Of targeting and answering to the somewhat prudish American mass market. To hit that more honest 'mature' note, rather than going for the hard PG-13 they aim for. I believe many at Bioware wish cicumstances allowed for them to do that too.

In that sense, you are right. And that it feels structurally and mechanically very much like a Bioware - better in many ways for sure. CDprojektRED follows Bioware's structural formula down to the underwhelming ending (even if that's a current trend with Bioware games, rather than a legacy).

'Underwhelming' is about right for The Witcher 2's ending, but extremely generous for Mass Effect 3's ending. TW1 has an awesome ending.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
    whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree the witcher 2 is better than Mass Effects. To be honest though, both are overrated.

It's like saying one midget is taller than the other. At the end of the day, they are still small.

Personally, I think Shogun 2 has better RPG elements. It's more balanced, it's requires tactics, you really do make your own story.

Also I just want to say, the reason Biowares games dropped in quility was because of console focus. If you look at Baldurs Gate and then KOTOR onwards, there games became super simplfied.

Dragon Age wasn't like that (it was built for pc) but it still had it's problems. Dragon Age 2 (console built) was terrible. When the Witcher 3 ends up like Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2, you choosing to play on the Xbox360 will be the reason.

kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By kyrieee

@Jimbo said:

'Underwhelming' is about right for The Witcher 2's ending, but extremely generous for Mass Effect 3's ending. TW1 has an awesome ending.

I think the pacing is off, which is why it might not feel great right when you finish it, but I think the way everything plays out is fine when you take a step back and look at it.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Cataphract1014

Hey look, it is the same thought people had when this game first came out on the PC.

Different games are different.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Seppli

@kyrieee said:

@Jimbo said:

I think the pacing is off, which is why it might not feel great right when you finish it, but I think the way everything plays out is fine when you take a step back and look at it.

The main difference between the ending of ME3 and TW2 is, that ME3's ending gets worse the more you think about it. TW2's just feels a tad bit flat and a little off.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Animasta

@whyareyoucrouchingspock: are you being paid by Sega to mention Shogun 2 as often as possible? I mean come on.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SlightConfuse
    @Animasta nothing is better than shogun 2 bow down to its greatness
    Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@SeriouslyNow said:

@laserbolts said:

This game shits all over Kingdoms of R A Salvabore.

No question. This is the game most WRPGs strive to be. And if they don't they should.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By musubi

@SlightConfuse said:

@Animasta nothing is better than shogun 2 bow down to its greatness

Hey guys did you hear about this game called shogun 2? It slices! It dices! It does your laundry! Buy from the Sega store today!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.