Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher

Franchise »

Fantasy RPG games based on a series of Polish novels.

The Ultimate Witcher Story Discussion Thread

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SamStrife
    No Caption Provided

Welcome to Giantbomb’s Premier thread for talking all things Witcher Story related; about the magical characters, crazy events and all the incredible world Andrzej Sapkowski and CD Projekt RED have managed to create.

The Witcher seems to hold a special place for people who have invested the time into it, yet sadly, as far and wide along the internet I’ve traveled, there doesn’t seem to be an adequate (English) forum for discussing its universe. Sure there’s the official game’s one but that seems to be focused way more on the games than as the universe as a whole.

That’s where this thread comes in. My hope is that it becomes a melting pot of discussions, theories, ideas and analysis for the books and games, almost like a book club... The story and the books to me feel like they’re rife with discussion and talking points yet no one seems to be talking about them.

Granted the last book came out in ’99 but I feel now more than ever, with The Witcher 3 being announced for next year and with Geralt recovering from amnesia, more people than ever will be reading them.

Personally, after finishing the first game at the start of this year, I went on a book binge and have read all of the books in the series, including the

No Caption Provided

wonderfully done fan translated ones which can be found here.

After finishing the last book I jumped straight into The Witcher 2 for the first time and I’m currently just finishing off the first chapter in what appears to be a fantastic addition to the universe.

The order I’ve done all this in may seem a bit weird but I think I’ve done it right. I used the first game as a launch pad into the universe and the second game feels way more like a continuation of the books than the first ever did. In fact, I would go as far to say if I read the books then played the first game, I would have been somewhat disappointed with it.

And that’s all I have to say for the time being. There’s so much more I could talk about but I don’t want to spoil anything and quite frankly, having a discussion with myself is boring.

Are there any duders out there who have read the books, are reading the books or are thinking about doing so? What are your thought, ideas, opinions and wants for where the universe has been and where it is going to go?

I look forward to talking with you about it.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By OfficeGamer

I recently finished the first Witcher on my new PC after beating Witcher 2 on my 360 last year, and I spent the last week and a half replaying Witcher 2 on PC.. So now I'm officially a PC player who's beaten both games where they belong :D

I've bought the two books that have been translated to English - The Last Wish and Blood of Elves. I'm halfway through Last Wish but I'm a slow reader and the internet exists which means... seriously how the hell can you read anything when there's internet now? How can you not waste your life on 9gag and game sites?

Anyway.. when, or if, I ever finish The Last Wish, I got all the fan-translated books bookmarked and shall read them in the correct order. Doubt it, though, because internet :(

The games themselves are fantastic, I didn't think anything could top Witcher 2 for me last year, but the first game turned out to be just on another level of narrative and atmosphere, it's not quite as mainstream as the second game, and I think I like it better.

Granted the last book came out in ’99 but I feel now more than ever, with The Witcher 3 being announced for next year and with Geralt recovering from amnesia, more people than ever will be reading them.

Sapkowski announced a new Witcher book duder :)

The order I’ve done all this in may seem a bit weird but I think I’ve done it right. I used the first game as a launch pad into the universe and the second game feels way more like a continuation of the books than the first ever did. In fact, I would go as far to say if I read the books then played the first game, I would have been somewhat disappointed with it.

That sounds like a really good plan for those who have yet to indulge in all things Witcher.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SamStrife

@officegamer said:

How can you not waste your life on 9gag and game sites?

Sapkowski announced a new Witcher book duder :)

The books engrossed me so much, the internet didn't matter to me haha.

I don't see another book as such a great thing. Unfortunately, Sapkowski is an incredibly bitter man and it seems that he's going to go out of his way to retcon the games as much as he possibly can. It's a shame because in my eyes CD Projekt RED have done an exceptional job carrying on the story in a logical way which (largely) matches the narrative themes and ideas Sapkowski explored in his books. Based on everything he's said in the past, this feels way more like a cash in on the game's success than it does anything else.

Now if the next book was a prequel to his others, or if they told the story of someone else in the same universe, that would be incredible. Everything he's said however, leads me to believe he's just going to write what he wants and if it screws over the game so be it.

I'll still read it, mind you, I'll just have to accept the games as an alternate universe.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i lik d wither he has cool hair becuz it is gray an he has amensia wich is prety cool to

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.