Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

This War of Mine

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 14, 2014

A survival-strategy game set in the shadow of a devastating war, This War of Mine examines the impact of war on the civilians, not the soldiers.

This War of Mine - anybody else have this problem?

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

First off I want to say this is my pick for Indie GOTY. Very very fun, but I'm having a problem and want to know if anybody else experiences this?

I start a new game and get to day 10 or 11, then I decide I need to make a trip to the liquor store because the decisions I make in this game make me turn into the sawce boss. So I go down to the booze station, pick up a brown bag of rum, swing by Taco Bell because it's deeelish, and cruise home. I set myself up a few cocktails, get the cuisine ready to go, and I fire up Caesar (My pc) to continue This War of Mine.

When I start it back up and continue, I'm bored with the game, and feel the need to restart because I know I can survive without robbing the old folks. Then I start a new game, and immediately rob the old folks! Then I extended this experiment. I was playing and had to use the restroom (Taco Bell certified break i call it), and came back and instantly felt the need to restart again!!!!

Why is it if you leave your desktop, you can not physically start playing where you left off?! Anybody else experiencing this?! Also, I've found if you play Taylor Swift's "Shake it off" while you are robbing the old people blind, it does help with depression. Not for your characters, but for you. Try it!

Ryan

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By T_wester

@sgreviewryan said:

First off I want to say this is my pick for Indie GOTY. Very very fun,

I think you and I have a different definition of "fun" not that it's bad game far from it, definitely on my list of interesting games 2014, not just because the setting but the mechanics are great as well.

Failing in This War of Mine is down right brutal, watching you character stave to death or hang them self is pretty depressing... The early goings are easier, but I would recommend you to go to the bitter end as it helps you prioritize the most important early actions. Some events will make locations temporally unavailable so you cant rely on a secure haul of foods etc.

@sgreviewryan said:

Then I decide I need to make a trip to the liquor store because the decisions I make in this game make me turn into the sawce boss.

There is something deeply perverse sitting with all your comforts/vices playing this game poor, Bruno is so wanting that cigarette you just lit.

Lastly keep going, if you can make it to day 10 you only need 20-35 more days.

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@t_wester I think a game is fun when it forces you to feel emotions. This War of Mine, if you play it an get into it, makes you want to do good, and stop evil. I've enjoyed the game thoroughly since downloading it. Do I think it's "fun" to watch my characters be depressed? Of course not, but the fun is in trying to get them cheered up while surviving.and doing what is necessary to ensure my entire group sees the end of the journey. The game invokes emotions and the darker style game play mixed with sad music and the etching style graphics really forced me to "feel" what my players were going through.

The game isn't a pointless shooter or side scroller that when you finish you say, "Well, onto the next." The game makes me want to play, and then re-play to see how i could do things differently, which I love! Thanks!

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing the game over the last few days, and I've had a somewhat similar experience. Most of my games I just reach a point where it's no longer engaging to play anymore, and I think it comes down to the "world events". They are great for throwing a wrench in the works and keep the struggle going, but they tend to last too long to the point that they just become obnoxious. It's not that you can't deal with it, but it turns into a situation where you're just spinning your wheels and waiting for it to pass. I understand why they're like that though, and they really drive the point home. But it sticks out like a sore thumb as they've done such a great job at merging gameplay into the setting with everything else, while this aspect is very "anti-game"-like.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.