Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tiny Metal

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Dec 21, 2017

Tiny Metal is a turn-based strategy game from Area 35.

Impressions & Discussion Thread

Rodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Rodin

I'm a huge fan of the advance wars games, i've played all of 'em, so when Jason mentioned this game a while ago i got excited. so now that it's out i wanted to get a discussion going about what people think.

Now after having played the first 8 mission, they've done a decent job of making a new one of those games, but it also has quite a few problems. now i bought this on the switch cause i figured the portability would be great, but immediately, during the opening cinematic, there were performance issues, it stuttered a bit, and when i enter combat with other units it feels a little, slow, I guess and its maybe not as sharp as I would like. I don't know if this is a switch thing or a tiny metal thing, but its not great.

I'm also not a fan of how the dialogue is presented, i can't do a great job describing it but it feels stilted, how each new box of text pops up. I've also accidentally moved the cursor over the fast forward button multiple times and skipped a ton of end mission dialogue, since once you hit fast forward, there's no stopping it. I also can't speak to the story so far but it seems pretty similar to advance wars games so far. The game also doesn't feel as quick or snappy as advance wars, which i'm not a big fan of.

I'm pretty mixed on this so far, it feels like an average AW game, i'll keep going with but i my problems with it so far can't be fixed by new unit types.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

@rodin said:

but immediately, during the opening cinematic, there were performance issues, it stuttered a bit

Do you mean the cinematic that plays before the menus, or the visual novel-esque section before the first mission? The former, on PC at least, is just a video file, so I'd be surprised if it's not running properly on the Switch (though it does appear to be masking a load, which might be the cause).

Performance-wise on the PC, I've been getting a locked 60fps at 1080p on Ultra on a powerful but not hugely so machine (1050 Mobile; I've had access to a review build for a while). Uncapping the framerate, it'll maintain 100+fps, so it doesn't feel like the Switch _should_ have issues with it.

Rodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By Rodin

I meant the cinematic, i just tested it and its very framey while it masks the load and then it smooths out

Ottery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ottery

I just bought the game this morning and hope to play it tonight. How are the skirmishes? I was sad to learn it does not have multiplayer just yet.

Liking it more now? I hope to play it over Christmas and scratch the Advance Wars itch :) Perhaps I will just play Days of Ruin as well

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd love a new advance wars type game, but the graphics style is a complete turnoff for me on this one.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I'm looking forward to trying this one out. Never really got much into Fire Emblem, but I really did dig the Advance Wars stuff I've played.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Can anyone find it on the US store? I can't.

Onijai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Eager to give this a go so I'll keep an eye on this thread. Keen to hear what you guys think before I pick it up.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

@azteris said:

Can anyone find it on the US store? I can't.

Press release from Sony Music Entertainment yesterday had the following note:

It is with great regret that despite the successful release on the PSN of TINY METAL in Asia and Europe, that it is not yet unavailable in the North American region. This was due to an administrative error. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We will post updates on our social media accounts.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.