Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

A young and inexperienced Lara Croft is shipwrecked on a mysterious island in this reboot of the beloved action adventure franchise, which departs from the mood of prior games in the series.

It's a great game but there are these two scenes, man...

• 65 results
    crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

@crithon said:

@truthtellah said:

@arbitrarywater said:

There are infinite possibilities that a woman could defeat a man in combat. What if Lara was actually an alien with super strength? What if she was a robot? You can't say she wasn't, you have no proof. You aren't Rhianna Pratchett.

Okay, Lara Croft actually turning out to be an android is my favorite development in the series yet. What a reboot!

YES, PLEASE!!!! At least redesign her to keep the scars from the impalement she's received through out this game.

And as the bandit has her pinned down, he sadistically licks a cut on her cheek, only to realize that it is actually oil. Her eyes then light up red as she bend his pitiful human hands into a mangled pretzel of flesh.

that is poetry my friend...... lets ditch PS4 tressfx graphics and go with NES or Genesis Sprites that slide into a small postage size frame that re-enact this scene.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

There's no tension in a situation if an antagonist of less power gets the upper hand on a protagonist of greater power.

One could argue that there's no tension in any situation involving main characters, but that's a different point entirely.

If these scenes really bothered you, I'm left wondering how many movies/games/books/television shows you've experienced in your life.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#53  Edited By Jeust

@random45 said:

@jeust said:

@believer258 said:

@jeust said:

@believer258 said:

@jeust said:

@hatking said:

But the bits about a mystical island that doesn't want people to escape it, those were totally believable?

Have you heard of the Bermuda Triangle?

Whoa, whoa - you are questioning the fact that a young woman manages to overpower a physically larger man, but you're seriously bringing up the Bermuda fucking Triangle as a counterpoint to fictional mystical islands?

Just out of curiosity, are you the guy that started a thread that cited Return of Kings once?

Huh?

Well with the Bermuda Triangle I mean to point the fact that there are things that defy our sense of realism, unexplained, yet not beyond our reality. If there are people that believe in ghosts, demons, angels and the paranormal, why should it be that hard to believe a demon could be poweful enough to curse an island.

Return of Kings? Return of the King?

The Bermuda Triangle isn't really one of those things. Wikipedia says it wasn't even in the top ten dangerous waters for shipping, and they're totally reliable! But really, the Bermuda Triangle doesn't "defy our sense of realism". It's just a spot in the ocean that fiction and urban legends have picked as one of those places where funny things happen, when in reality funny things don't happen there.

As for the rest of that stuff? Despite my username, I'm hardly a religious person anymore. Just because some people believe it doesn't mean it holds water as a proof for anything. Aaaaaaaaaaaaand to bring this back around to the topic, how come you can believe that things "defy your sense of realism", yet have a difficult time believing that a woman could overpower a larger man? Why is the Bermuda Triangle acceptable when the idea of a woman being able to wrestle a gun or knife from a man's hand is not?

Well the Bermuda Triangle is an example, like many others of places where strange events have possibly happened. I can give you another if you want. Roanoke? Atlantis? The Great Piramid of Giza?

There are a lot of situation where there is not a scientific and well established answer.

I have a hard time believing that a woman that has just recently become a tomb raider, scrawny, could overpower a man with large muscles and an experience of hardships, totally changing the aim of a gun from herself, to the man, with him on top of her.

The hell?

Sorry to double post, but Jesus Christ dude, do you READ what you write before you post it? I'm just kind of speechless.

lol I'm not english, nor american, so some subtleties are hard to keep in the midst of an argument.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Jeust

@sharpless said:

I've been sitting here, trying to think of where to start in my response to this thread, but all I can come up with is...

Really?

There are dozens of places to find a lack of realism in this game, potential things that could disrupt your immersion in it, and yet the one thing you grab onto is, essentially, "Small, weak woman couldn't possibly wrestle a weapon from big, strong man"? The fact that I had the option of firing arrows directly into people's brains with relatively minimal effort seems a lot more immersion-breaking to me. Her ability to defend herself in some CQC barely registers, compared to her Solid Snakesque accuracy and stealth capabilities.

People find different things unrealistic and imersion breaking. Different strokes for different folks isn't it?

@sinusoidal said:

@jeust: You seem to be ignorant of a little thing called Occam's Razor. In short: the hypothesis that requires the fewest assumptions is the best candidate.

Suggesting that since we don't know exactly how the pyramids were made that it is equally as likely they were put together by aliens as by hundreds of slaves and dirt ramps violates this in that for the alien case to be true, we have to assume that aliens exist: something we have virtually no evidence for whatsoever, whereas dirt ramps and slaves aren't exactly unknown.

That, and if you want to find fault in Tomb Raider's narrative, how about the far more glaring misstep of Lara going from teary-eyed, boohoo-I-just-had-to-kill-a-deer pansy to ruthless-murderer-of-dozens-of-actual-people in the blink of an eye?

Candidate theory, which is different from truth.

The thing is no one is asking you to believe anything you don't want to. You just can't negate what goes against your beliefs, because it is a belief, no matter how well based it is.

@hollitz said:

There's no tension in a situation if an antagonist of less power gets the upper hand on a protagonist of greater power.

One could argue that there's no tension in any situation involving main characters, but that's a different point entirely.

If these scenes really bothered you, I'm left wondering how many movies/games/books/television shows you've experienced in your life.

I haven't see many movies/games/books/shows where women are apparently helpless protagonists and are able to defeat bulkier men in close combat. But I don't think that is a trend.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My inbox just wants to thank you guys for keeping that quote train running even though it had nothing to do with me. :P

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Jeust

@random45 said:

@believer258 said:

@jeust said:

@hatking said:

But the bits about a mystical island that doesn't want people to escape it, those were totally believable?

Have you heard of the Bermuda Triangle?

Whoa, whoa - you are questioning the fact that a young woman manages to overpower a physically larger man, but you're seriously bringing up the Bermuda fucking Triangle as a counterpoint to fictional mystical islands?

Just out of curiosity, are you the guy that started a thread that cited Return of Kings once?

Haha, yeah, this about sums up my reaction quite nicely.

The first post was answered previously. And with Return of Kings I was talking about a point being made in an article about video games, that, although being a machist write-up, did hold an interest idea for discussion. But this is the internet, and it is much better to focus in something completely beside the point, than in the argument being made. Some people did discuss it, and could understand the what was being discussed, others just got rilled up with the machist bullshit, and got sidetracked. It's the internet.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

My inbox just wants to thank you guys for keeping that quote train running even though it had nothing to do with me. :P

And I want to thank you for your reply, so I could post another. ^^

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeust said:

The thing is no one is asking you to believe anything you don't want to. You just can't negate what goes against your beliefs, because it is a belief, no matter how well based it is.

I'm not entirely sure at what you're getting at here, but it looks like you're saying that no matter how wrong you're proved to be, you aren't going to change your mind because you believe that you're right?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Jeust

@sinusoidal said:
    @jeust said:

I'm not entirely sure at what you're getting at here, but it looks like you're saying that no matter how wrong you're proved to be, you aren't going to change your mind because you believe that you're right?

No. Means that there is no proof concerning the Giza Piramid, and so many other mysteries. And a principle in problem solving that gives us the best candidate solution, doesn't necessarily brings us the true solution, just the most likely.

Like the Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor) says:

Occam's Razor is not considered an irrefutable principle of logic or a scientific result

So you can't actually prove anything with it.

So I continue making the point that something that goes against your beliefs, as well based as they are, but without real evidence disproving it, is not impossible. Just not plausible to you.

And I'm not saying that the beliefs you hold are wrong, or that your theory is wrong. You just can't enforce them as the truth, because they aren't. No complete explanation has been provided, so you can't prove anything that hasn't been already established based on your beliefs. In short, different strokes for different folks.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

The Pyramids are magical, The people of Roanoke didn't integrate into surrounding populations and the opening section of the Timaeus by Plato - a dramatist turned philosopher - far from being a cliffhanger due to the author not completing the trilogy the dialogue was supposed to preface, is a historical account of an actual place called Atlantis (which may have existed - who knows? What would it prove?)

You seem to be rejecting, or at least seriously doubting all plausible and reasonable explanations for your examples of "mysteries," but the mere idea of an athletic woman managing, in a moment of duress, to overcome a man is so troubling as to break your sense of immersion.

I'm lost.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Jeust

@termite said:

You seem to be rejecting, or at least seriously doubting all plausible and reasonable explanations for your examples of "mysteries," but the mere idea of an athletic woman managing, in a moment of duress, to overcome a man is so troubling as to break your sense of immersion.

I'm lost.

I'm not. I just don't make the assumption that something is impossible because it's highly improbable.

What really troubled me about Lara is that she seemed like a normal girl, no more athletic than the next, and against the ground with a knife's blade near her neck, and a bulky man on top of her, plunging the knife against her, and she somehow managed to overpower the man, and stick the knife in his gut.

But although I think it is due to lazy storytelling, it is possible in extreme situations to do feats of astonishing strength. So I guess I should take my own medicine and think it isn't impossible.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT a goddamn minute, THAT's what broke the immersion for you? So..... how can a woman overcome a man is more impossible than everything else she did in that game?

No Caption Provided

Which one broke your immersion?

The Ants carrying the food?

Sam blowing the fuck up but still in tip top shape, only damaged clothes?

The fact that this is a cartoon?

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By TreeTrunk

@shagge: Though afterwards you see her heat up an arrow with fire, and then she stabs it into the wound screaming. Now I know this is hard to believe, but you can look this up if you want. When you put something extremely hot onto an open flesh wound, the wound instantly closes.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By ShaggE

@treetrunk said:

@shagge: Though afterwards you see her heat up an arrow with fire, and then she stabs it into the wound screaming. Now I know this is hard to believe, but you can look this up if you want. When you put something extremely hot onto an open flesh wound, the wound instantly closes.

I'm aware of cauterization and how heat works, but it's not a magical cure that eliminates injury or pain. All it does is stop external bleeding (and increase infection risk). And even then, she only does this after a bunch of running about.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Sinusoidal

@jeust said:

In short, different strokes for different folks.

So, what you're really saying here is that you have no trouble imagining highly improbable scenarios as long as they don't involve a woman overpowering a man in Lara's situation.

I think we're through here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.