Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Torchlight II

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 20, 2012

The sequel to Runic Games' Torchlight, it features four new classes, a much bigger world, online co-op play, and a host of other new features.

Torchlight II coming September 20th!

• 63 results
    mgsolid86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 40

#1  Edited By mgsolid86
    JoshyLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JoshyLee

Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2 coming in the same week? That's gonna be a lot of loot.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Tennmuerti

Fucking really?

They could have picked any day of this game starved wasteland prior to this and they pick the day Borderlands 2 comes out. Well done. Good job. Brilliant. /rolleyes

I would say "sorry Runic but I'll be playing Borderlands 2" except they already have my preorder money ^.^ so not like that makes a difference.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ares42

I'm speechless..... whoever made that desicion... wow.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SamStrife

Wow. Terrible decision...

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bell_End

had my fill of this type of game with D3 for the time being. i will play it but next year sometime maybe

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Fearbeard

Lol, bad timing... Even waiting a week might make a difference, but I'm going to be deep into Borderlands 2 when it comes out.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Cincaid

Well, I'll wait for the Steam holiday sale then, since I'll be way too busy with Borderlands 2 (and later XCOM: Enemy Unknown) to play any Torchlight this fall. Not to mention college, ugh.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cmblasko

Would really like to hear the rationale behind going head-to-head with a game that is a surefire-hit and targets a similar demographic. Oh well, I will be picking up both games at some point regardless.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I... uh, this sounds like close to the worst timing they could have chosen. If they had just got it out a week or two before, then I would have looked at it in a much more positive light.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Ghostiet

I wonder what the fuck made them wait so goddamn long. First they tried to run it against Diablo 3, now against Borderlands 2. The beta was perfectly functional and they had what, a 3 month window to release it?

At this point I'm way too deep in the asshole of Diablo 3 to care about Torchlight 2, considering that the gameplay wasn't different enough from the first one.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is just like how they had beta testing the same week Diablo III was released. Runic seems really poor at planning release dates.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

@Tennmuerti said:

Fucking really?

They could have picked any day of this game starved wasteland prior to this and they pick the day Borderlands 2 comes out. Well done. Good job. Brilliant. /rolleyes

I would say "sorry Runic but I'll be playing Borderlands 2" except they already have my preorder money ^.^ so not like that makes a difference.

This. I will be neck deep in loot. I might have to take a holiday.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By AndrewB

Launching after the behemoth and at the same time as another, albeit very different loot-based game... but I'm sure that wasn't an unnecessary choice, and Biablo III has run its course with many already. I don't have anything against Diablo III, but hindsight has made me wonder if I should have saved myself for Torchlight II and continued my streak of not playing a single Diablo game.

dfsvegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By dfsvegas

Terrible idea, because clearly Torchlight 2 will cease to exist if you choose to play Borderlands 2 first and have to wait a week.

Why didn't Runic release the game before it was finished? Morons!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to be clear, I have pre-ordered both. I'm just going to be overwhelmed by both of these games. It's not a bad problem to have.

bchampnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bchampnd

Terrible idea for them. It will work out very well for me, however. Play Borderlands 2 when it comes out and then pick up Torchlight 2 during the inevitable Steam sale.

I feel like Torchlight 2 missed its 2 logical release windows: (1) a couple months prior to Diablo 3 when people were starting to get the itch for this type of game and (2) end of July or early August when no new games were coming out. The game might not have been ready yet so that could be a reason for waiting, but it's not a mystery when the big name titles are launching so you'd think they'd try to find a soft spot in the release calendar.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By phrosnite

Borderlands 2? If it's anything like the first one I'm take a pass. Bordomlands anyone?

Torchlight 2 on the other hands looks awesome. I played the beta for like 6 hours and had tons of fun. Diablo 3 beta bored me to death 2 hours in.

Torchlight 2 gets my money.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PillClinton

This after fucking Darksiders/Sleeping Dogs day too. Who plans this?!

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tennmuerti

@DFSVegas: Terrible hyperboles clearly missing the point of many peoples comments.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phrosnite said:

Borderlands 2? If it's anything like the first one I'm take a pass. Bordomlands anyone?

Bite your tongue.

#opinions

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mcfart

I guess Runic doesn't want to make money.

circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By circlenine

I really don't give a fuck about Borderlands 2 so I'm fine with this. Also even when I was in college and high school I managed to be able to both play multiple games as well as do everything that I needed for classes & activities & friends. This is not a hard thing balance. You can manage it too, I think. You don't need to throw a little shitfit trying to hold them to ransom cause they're not releasing games spaced out how you personally want them to be spaced out.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By shiftymagician

Oh no at the same time as Borderlands 2! I guess my only choice is to be a reasonable, intellectual person and play both equally in moderation should I get both games and manage my time accordingly.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By ajamafalous

There are only a handful of days they could've picked that would've been worse.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tennmuerti: Nope, this is definitely a first world problem and there is no reasonable way you can defend your complaints.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MeierTheRed

@ShiftyMagician said:

Oh no at the same time as Borderlands 2! I guess my only choice is to be a reasonable, intellectual person and play both equally in moderation should I get both games and manage my time accordingly.

Haha i like that comment.

I pre-ordered Torchlight 2 months ago, so i'm just gonna stick with playing that. So Borderlands 2 will have to wait.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Tennmuerti

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: heh

dfsvegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dfsvegas

@Tennmuerti said:

@DFSVegas: Terrible hyperboles clearly missing the point of many peoples comments.

Actually mostly just trolling... Although I legitimately don't get the idea that they should have released the game earlier, considering how much people bitch when games come out with bugs.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ares42

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: Yes, because no game has ever suffered in sales because they released close to another huge title, and in the current viral environment launch hype doesn't in any way convert to sales at all....

Sure, there's a few people that complain about "oh noes, I can't play both", but there's no arguing this isn't a terrible terrible business desicion for them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ares42: I don't assume to be a businessman, but if you're worried about it under performing then buy some copies for your friends.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ares42

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: I'm not worried, I'm just saying it's a bad desicion =)

bchampnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By bchampnd

@CircleNine said:

I really don't give a fuck about Borderlands 2 so I'm fine with this. Also even when I was in college and high school I managed to be able to both play multiple games as well as do everything that I needed for classes & activities & friends. This is not a hard thing balance. You can manage it too, I think. You don't need to throw a little shitfit trying to hold them to ransom cause they're not releasing games spaced out how you personally want them to be spaced out.

To be fair, it's much easier to make time to play multiple games in high school and college than it is once you get a real job in most cases. (Unless, of course, you're one of the people who is involved in an assload of sports/activities when you have practice every day, games/concerts on weekends. Which was me during high school but not as much in college when I had a lot more free time on my hands.)

I think people have also become a lot more concerned about release dates in the past 5 or so years because of how much more important and widespread online gaming has become. In the past, it didn't matter when a game came out because, to play with other people, you had to have friends/acquaintances and you were going to have to go to their place or invite them over. You also only needed one copy of a game unless you were getting fancy and setting up a system link. Now, people don't get together as much to play games since it's more convenient to play from your own place. The tradeoff is that now you have to convince your friends to invest in a game if you want to play with them, which they may not want to do because they don't have the cash or they have the cash but just bought a different game.

As for release date complaints though, that's something publishers should be taking into consideration. When they look at the release schedule, they should be evaluating whether certain games will have overlap that can cannibalize sales. You may not be interested Torchlight but not in Borderlands, just as there may be people who are interested in Borderlands but not Torchlight, but I think that if someone doing market research created a Venn diagram of the audiences for these two games, there would be a sizable overlap since they are both loot-based RPGs.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By Phatmac

Great! I don't care about Borderlands 2 so I will be playing this instead!

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By alternate

@Tennmuerti said:

Fucking really?

Given how long it has been in dev I would bet on this being the earliest they could get it out - trying to beat the October gangbang. If they could have had it out in the summer drought I bet they would have. Still half expect it to come out unfinished now.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By stryker1121

@Tennmuerti said:

Fucking really?

Hopefully the reasonable point-of-entry price will grab folks who want both games. That said, I don't have the time for BL2 and Torchlight. The latter will have to wait but I'm very much looking forward to getting it sometime down the line.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Loafsmooch

Pre-ordered TL2 months ago. Can't fucking wait!

Been reading all the "Not a Blog"s from the lead developer (Travis Baldree) every week for 2 months now and also been lurking on the runic forums. Man, these devs have such a strong connection and great dialogue with their fans, never seen anything like it. I have nothing but respect for Runic.

Edit: Oh, and they promised us a summer release and officially summer ends on september 21st. I think they just want to please the fans, they don't care about shmorderlands release dates.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#38  Edited By spiceninja

I think it will do just fine. It was the number 1 top selling game for a long time on Steam when pre-orders went up and it stuck around on that list for weeks, so I assume they've made a considerable amount of cash off pre-orders alone.

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Wikitoups

So this is a day before the first day of fall...well it's still summer!

Gantrathor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Gantrathor

Torchlight II and Borderlands 2 are both very different beasts, even if though they both have loot drops. Someone who likes Borderlands isn't necessarily going to like Torchlight, and vice versa. I don't like Borderlands very much, so I'm not getting Borderlands 2. But I do love Torchlight, so I'm getting Torchlight II. Both games have big enough fan bases that both of the companies behind the games will make a good chunk of cash. Of course, Gearbox will get a much bigger chunk of cash. But Runic Games is an indie studio, so I don't think they're trying to get rich off of their game. (Unless they are, of course.) And Torchlight II is so cheap that it will more than likely keep making money down the road with Steam sales and impulse buys.

In conclusion, both companies are making cool games for their respective fan bases, and you should buy and play whichever one(s) interest you!

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By confusedowl

I will be getting Borderlands 2 eventually but it won't be the release date so this okay for me at least.

circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By circlenine

I just really don't get why they used their big PAX announcement to say that it's still 3 weeks away. If it were a week away or so I'd be totally hyped again, like I was after playing the beta just waiting for it to come out. I'm still looking forward to it but the date announcement got, from me at least, more of a reaction of "finally, about damn time" with it still being three weeks out instead of having me on the edge of my seat waiting for it. Now the next time I really think about it again will probably be when Steam notifies me that the game download is complete from my preorder.

Just seems weird as a big announcement that people have been waiting months for.

e: Obviously they want to make the game as good as they can before release so I'm fine with them taking more time to make it what they want, expecting to keep people hyped up over the next 3 weeks just seems strange is all.

MURDERSMASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By MURDERSMASH

I'm just glad to see a release date for it. Don't see why we all have to dive deep into what other games are being released and what-not. If you want to play Borderlands 2 first, go ahead and do it. Runic will be fine.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By geirr

Worst. Release. Date. Ever.

Just slightly worse than Sleeping Dogs/Darksiders 2.. slightly.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By korolev

Well, it's fairly cheap so I might get it... but honestly, I don't think I'll have the time. Probably get it a few weeks later. I am glad, however, that they've finally finished it. Took them long enough. I liked the first Torchlight, even if it was so easy that even my parents could and DID play it. I hope Torchlight 2 actually proves challenging, because the first one, despite doing so many things right, was so easy that I didn't die even once during my play-through on Normal, and defeated the game using literally 2 buttons - M1 and potion hot-key, which in my case was 1. I used two buttons to beat the game. I hope Torch-light 2 at least requires me to use 3 buttons.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By pweidman

Sweet. Finally satisfied with the polish and balance apparently.

The guys at Runic really don't care about other game releases. Seriously, all they want is to make solid games and allow their clients to have a blast playing their games. And because of that, the resultant proper income will take care of itself.

UPDATE: Preordered and preloaded Max ;)

And:Two great loot games can be played at once...it's possible...I think.

shadowdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By shadowdrone

Already invested in this games months ago. Borderlands 2, while I'm excited for, I'm less inclined to pay attention to immediately it being a brand new, high profile, $60 release; which I am less equipped to handle right now. Those two facts have essentially made my choice for me, which I am fine with. I've been anticipating Torchlight II since I heard of its announcement, and I was instantly sold after I played the beta. Can't wait for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll pass then

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Syndrom

borderlands 2 = fps with loot

torchlight II = arpg with loot

i can play both

Kiri90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Kiri90

I just pre-ordered Torchlight 2 (and already have Borderlands 2 pre-ordered as well). I'll try to balance my time between both games, but I'm pretty sure my loot thirst will be quenched in just over two weeks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.