Fast-paced Arena-FPS with old-school gameplay and modern graphics

Toxikk debut trailer and opinion.

Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

So the debut trailer for this new Unreal Engine FPS was released about a day or two ago, and it claims players will be able to "Frag like it's 1999"

According to this trailer, Toxikk aims at getting rid of all the fat that seems to have accumulated throughout the years around the slim sexy body of the fast-paced arena FPS that players used to know and love, and that doesn't come around much these days.

Having personally never been a part of the FPS community (any FPS community at all, it's probably amongst my least played genres in general), the trailer made it look to me like it was a sort of more arcadey version of a Halo game, specially with all the characters having all these clean-coloured futuristic power armors and riding that Ghost-looking hovercraft vehicle. However, I was indeed captivated by the gameplay proposal of a fast-paced, no-levelling, fun-centered multiplayer shooter, and I think I might give it a shot.

What do you guys think?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Humanity

A very 1999 game name.

The trailer made it look awesome if you're specifically looking for that sort of thing.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game looks kind of fun, but wow, what a fucking arrogant trailer.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Completely obnoxious trailer. "No Free To Play" is such a pointless thing to flaunt.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was a reason FPS titles evolved. And I don't get this new found fascination with 1999. But maybe that's because I checked out of PC fps around 97 and didn't check back in until around 2005 with BF2. That being said, as a casual observer that looks a lot more like Halo than any other "arena" shooter I've seen, so I feel a slight disconnect with that "Frag like it's 1999" line even beyond my own lack of hands on experience with shooters from that year.

BeardyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bunch of buzzwords thrown in when they could have just prefaced it with "A throwback to UT2K4", because that's exactly what it is.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

They sure do go out of their way to list off a bunch of features not actually in the game. I get the point they're trying to make, but lacking a bunch of modern features doesn't automatically make the game good. How about getting us excited for your game based on what it is and not what it isn't?

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Rise of the Triad had a similar buildup campaign talking about how old school it is. Take from it what you will.

Also, this game looks rather bland. Its like UT3 mixed with Halo, two art styles I don't particularly like at all

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By Yummylee

I find it ironic for how old-school it's trying to present itself, given that this resembles every other generic, buzzword-laden modern day trailer.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By 49th

Seems cool. I like arena shooters so I will probably check it out, just depends on the price though. Seems dumb not to make it F2P, if they do cosmetics only it would be fine.

There are quite a few arena shooters in development that I want to play.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Game looks ok, but that is possibly the worst name ever.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's trying WAY too hard. Almost like they're celebrating their lack of creativity by highlighting how its so "old-school".

I dunno, if people are into that, then cool.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If people play it, I will play it. I've played my share of these 'nostalgic fps'' and they always end up a barren wasteland.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By development

Looks more like UT 2004 than something from 1999. Not a bad thing. Only problem is the characters looks super fucking boring. Of course, I guess the pig men, cyborgs, and marines of UT were also super fucking lame.

also, this

@evo said:

Game looks ok, but that is possibly the worst name ever.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If you ignore the obnoxious bullshit it seems kinda fun I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.