Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Transistor

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released May 20, 2014

A science fiction-themed action-RPG by Supergiant Games, creators of Bastion.

Framerate and strange ventilation problem on ps4

Forkstik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Anyone experiencing framerate drops on ps4 when playing transistor? I have been getting some drops here and there, nothing to bad but it's definitely dropping in frames. Also, the fans on my ps4 get kinda crazy when i play Transistor for more then 20 minutes, and vent out a lot of heat.

Thx! :)

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I haven't noticed any frame rate troubles, but whenever I go to an Access Point to change my skills, the fans kick into overdrive. Which seems rather odd to me.

Forkstik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Forkstik

Yeah i have the exact same problem, fans go crazy when i use and Access Point or when i enter any form of menu. That's not right, so i emailed Supergiant about it. Let's hope they have an answer and possible solution for it :)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

The fans are designed on the PS4 to adapt to the current heat load. Some things may work the CPU/GPU more and thus more heat and the fans adapt. You only have to worry about ventilation issues if the fans are working hard even when the CPU/GPU aren't heavily engaged like idling on the dashboard.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@demoskinos: Don't you think it's a little weird than an in game menu would be stressing the system like that though?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By musubi

@mooseymcman: Possibly. I play with headphones though so can't say I've noticed anything myself.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@demoskinos: It's noticeable without headphones. I've not noticed anything in combat but as soon as I go into the Access Point the fans rev right up.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman: Had the same issue, I'm guessing it's just a case of forgetting to put on a throttle or something. So while the machine might not be rendering the most complex graphics or anything it's just pumping frames as best as it can, over-working the system.

roli_84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't had any frame rate issues but while playing Transistor, the fans are the loudest i've heard them get and i did get a little worried. I wonder if a laptop cooling pad is worth it? Especially if future games will do the same to the ps4. What do you guys think?

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 3

I never had either of those happen to me while playing it. Then again, I did play with the TV volume up pretty high, so I might have just not heard the fans.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forkstik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Update:

SuperGiant just responded to my e-mail, concerning framerate drops and fan problems. They are looking into fixing both issues. They did not say people should stop playing the game because of the fan problem. Hopefully they will fix this soon :)

ObiKwiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@ares42 said:

@mooseymcman: Had the same issue, I'm guessing it's just a case of forgetting to put on a throttle or something. So while the machine might not be rendering the most complex graphics or anything it's just pumping frames as best as it can, over-working the system.

This is probably the problem. I think Starcraft 2 had a similar problem. The menu framerate was not capped and would render as fast as the GPU could, making GPU's run hot.

I wouldn't consider this to be an issue unless your PS4 is not well ventilated. Even then, I would assume it would throttle down the GPU before doing any damage.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I only had extremely small framerate problems in the late game. There's a part that had a wall of those white pillars you have to clear and Breach made it drop a few frames. Not a problem at all outside of that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.