Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Troy Baker

Person » credited in 166 games

Troy Baker is a highly prolific American voice actor, having voiced the lead protagonist in a number of big-budget video game releases along with some animation. Some notable roles include Vincent in Catherine, Kanji Tatsumi in Persona 4, Booker DeWitt in Bioshock Infinite, Snow in Final Fantasy XIII, the default voice of The Boss in Saints Row The Third & IV, Rhyse in Tales from The Borderlands, Pagan Min in Far Cry 4, The Joker in Batman: Arkham Origins, and Joel in The Last of Us.

Troy Baker is in MGS5 and everything else!

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

He's in absolutely everything! WTF! At first I was like, cool, Kanji is getting more work, but now it's getting ridiculous. I mean sure, he's just doing his job, but c'mmon people. This is like Nolan North overdrive. Let's get some more Yuri Lowenthal (Yosuke) plz.

No Caption Provided

He's also the new Joker in Arkham Origins, but I'm fine with that. That's something different. Most people just use him for his standard vocals.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't get enough of this guy.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Good for him!

Malarkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Malarkain

I look forward to the Bakers (Bakies? Bakeries? Bakeries!) in the coming GOTY discussions of 2013/14

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@malarkain: Nolan North Presents the Troy Baker Awards!

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zeik

I think Troy Baker is great, but it is kinda getting ridiculous.

Can't blame him though. It's his job and he would be crazy to pass up good job opportunities. Developers should maybe look into hiring some other people every now and then though.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wikitoups: It would be hilarious if Troy Baker just won a "Northie" this year.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Rafaelfc

The northies 2013 GET BENT edition

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GabrielCantor

Oh HE'S gonna be Ocelot? Sweet! I was a little bummed that he wasn't either of his other voice actors, much like Big Boss.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The Last of Bakers

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

He was in a lot of anime before.

I feel like a lot of these people start out in anime, with the exception of Nolan North who was in a lot of Western animation.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By RobotHamster

Can't wait for the Bakies this year!

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Legion_

Can't get enough of this guy.

TooBaker

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By GunstarRed

He won't dethrone the king of voice acting until he features in a video game talking to himself.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'm not complaining. He's a talented guy and I haven't gotten sick of his voice yet... which I am sure will last for about one more year.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

I like him a lot. He's a great voice actor and seems to be a good guy. I don't blame him for taking the many jobs he is offered. I just think Game Developers should say "Hey, maybe we could get someone else that people haven't heard in a million other games!" I mean, just recent memory from E3 he was in MGS5, The Last of Us, Titanfall, Infamous Second Son, and aside from MGS5, he's the main player character in all of them.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@red: I still think it's kind of funny that he is like literally the main character of Second Son. I remember when they showed the first trailer without voice acting and I immediately was like "Wait, was that Troy Baker?"

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NTM

I totally agree, and ever since I got Bioshock Infinite the other day, it's something I've been thinking about, then he'll be in another big name game that's contender for game of the year as well, which is The Last of Us. He was also in a lot of the E3 game trailers as well. He voiced Ocelot, but he also voiced the guy in Titanfall as well, and Second Son. You could probably keep going. The guy must literally work all the time.

I got tired of hearing Nolan North in everything as well, but at least he has a character or two that I can really say "Yeah, that's him, that's what he's best known for." Which is Nathan Drake, and Desmond. Those are the mains I see him as, and I love him as Drake and think just fine of him as Desmond, but otherwise it's a bit much. For Troy Baker, not really. He was once just Matt Baker from Brother's in Arms and Snow from Final Fantasy, but now he's just everyone.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was in a lot of anime before.

I feel like a lot of these people start out in anime, with the exception of Nolan North who was in a lot of Western animation.

It's crazy how well they can act when they aren't limited by shit anime dub directors.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I <3 Troy Baker. The dude has so much range - his performance in The Last of Us is hella good.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: He'll always be Kanji.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NTM

@zeik: I was referring to what I saw him as. I don't know who Kanji is, but I can guess it's from an anime, or perhaps Persona? My brother plays Persona, not me. OK, now that I check, it was Persona. Wasn't he Matt Baker before that?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@red said:

I like him a lot. He's a great voice actor and seems to be a good guy. I don't blame him for taking the many jobs he is offered. I just think Game Developers should say "Hey, maybe we could get someone else that people haven't heard in a million other games!" I mean, just recent memory from E3 he was in MGS5, The Last of Us, Titanfall, Infamous Second Son, and aside from MGS5, he's the main player character in all of them.

Saint's Row IV main character as well.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zeik

@aegon: Don't you get to choose the voice of the main character in Saints Row?

@ntm: Maybe. P4 was the first time I ever heard him in anything though.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: Yeah, that was my point, that's why I saw him as Matt Baker, 'cause that's what I remember hearing him as first.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

He's the default voice. He's good at it! I'd just like some more variety rather than having the same voice for all of these characters. Troy has range, but the directors rarely take advantage of that. It's always the standard deep and gruff military-esque dude.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: @ntm He was also the lead in Bioshock, which as to be one of the biggest releases this year. Do you think VA's actually damage their careers taking on as many opportunities as they do at times? At a point I can't separate a character from an actors other work if they do too much too fast.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

He's the default voice. He's good at it! I'd just like some more variety rather than having the same voice for all of these characters. Troy has range, but the directors rarely take advantage of that. It's always the standard deep and gruff military-esque dude.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: Well I think his roles have a bit more variety than Nolan North got at least. (With a few exceptions.) Nolan North seemed to get shoehorned into basically just playing Nathan Drake in everything. It's not a huge difference, but the dude from Second Son and the dude from The Last of Us are quite different characters and there's some notable distinction in how they're voiced.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Aegon

@wampa1 said:

@aegon: @ntm He was also the lead in Bioshock, which as to be one of the biggest releases this year. Do you think VA's actually damage their careers taking on as many opportunities as they do at times? At a point I can't separate a character from an actors other work if they do too much too fast.

Yes, people got tired of Nolan North. Now he's going a bit more low key, so maybe he'll bounce back. Nolan has done some stuff where you wouldn't even know it was him, like Sigmund from Ratchet and Clank and Penguin in Arkham City, but people rarely use him for roles like that. If Troy keeps doing the same voice, people will get tired of it and he'll be forced to take fewer of those types of roles and do something more creative. Again, I think he's a great voice actor (I follow him on twitter), just want to see other stuff from him.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: Well I think his roles have a bit more variety than Nolan North got at least. (With a few exceptions.) Nolan North seemed to get shoehorned into basically just playing Nathan Drake in everything. It's not a huge difference, but the dude from Second Son and the dude from The Last of Us are quite different characters and there's some notable distinction in how they're voiced.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Wampa1

@zeik: I remember a good interview with North where he expressed extreme frustration about the Prince of persia job. He went into it with an accent and specific mannerisms and was told to just "Do drake" I'd imagine Baker get's something similar. "Do young and flippant" or "older and militaristic" seem to be the two he gets.

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Troy Baker so much. Started playing Tales of Vesperia for the second time a few days ago, and realized that the main character is Troy, which I never knew the first time I played it.

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Troy Baker so much. Started playing Tales of Vesperia for the second time a few days ago, and realized that the main character is Troy, which I never knew the first time I played it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@dallas_raines: He was pretty damn good in Darker Than Black and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, both of which are really good dubs all around.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Sam Jackson of video games? That's just boring and unimaginative. Luckily I haven't played too many games featuring him, to notice it.

Yet.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tomorrow with the last of us , saints row iv , Infamous , MGS V I LOVE THIS GUY

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I get people's frustration with this sorta thing... but both him and Nolan North get all these roles because they are quite simply a step up from most others in their industry. Lowenthal is good, but he's no Troy Baker. Plus his voice wouldn't suit Ocelot.

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

May Troy Baker have a long and successful career.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might be jumping the gun here, but remember how had the Northies? Once Troy Baker's rise to omnipresence has been cemented, are we reallygoing to have to call his thing the Bakeries? That only makes me hungry...

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By uniform

If ever asked who Troy Baker is, my response would have likely been something along the lines of anime and video game VA, then citing prominent roles. After reading this thread, my response will now be simplified to "Troy Baker is everyone".

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Petiew

@aegon said:

Let's get some more Yuri Lowenthal (Yosuke) plz.

No! When I got to the Brotherhood of Steel Fortress in Fallout New Vegas I had to mute my game because every voice was Yuri Lowenthal. I get PTSD when I hear that dude, I can't even play Persona 4 anymore.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Good for him. I like his voice and the way he delivers his lines. He's Kanji, man! You don't like him? Get bent!

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

The whole Persona-posse seems to be in pretty much every game ever created post P3/4 :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.