Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ubisoft Entertainment

Company »

Ubisoft Entertainment (pronounced yoo-bee-soft) is a French videogame developer and publisher, with its headquarters in Montreuil-Sous-Bois, France.

Some Ubisoft Games Not Playable on My Birthday

• 93 results
    SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By SerHulse

@Branthog: as long as I can start actually playing it, it won't be too bad I guess but when you hear "Ubisoft", "DRM" and "Downtime" in the same sentence you can kinda jump to conclusions.

The reason I asked in the first place was I heard rumours that certain progression stuff is linked to the servers, so while the game will be playable, the downtime will have other side-effects, but judging by the vitriol around Anno and DRM around the internet, it's seems like that's already the case. :(

Shame, all of this.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Branthog

@SerHulse said:

@Branthog: as long as I can start actually playing it, it won't be too bad I guess but when you hear "Ubisoft", "DRM" and "Downtime" in the same sentence you can kinda jump to conclusions.

The reason I asked in the first place was I heard rumours that certain progression stuff is linked to the servers, so while the game will be playable, the downtime will have other side-effects, but judging by the vitriol around Anno and DRM around the internet, it's seems like that's already the case. :(

Shame, all of this.

They do state that all UPlay stuff (the progression stuff, I believe - or at least the rewards you get to spend on some things in some games) will bee affected.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Branthog

@Nefhril said:

One thing that worries me. What happens when they decide to take down the servers? Will I be able to play my games in 20 years that I payed for? Maybe they can remove the DRM with an update when the time comes?

I still play my NES games from time to time hell I even play on my Vectrex so I'm pretty sure I want to play some old school Xbox 360 games in the future :)

You're at the whim of the developer and/or publisher. Some have specifically stated that if you buy a game from them and they ever shut down or go away, they will update all the games to release you of the DRM locks. I think that is the case with Steam. With some . . . well, you're just fucked. Unfortunately, DRM only impacts those of us who are legitimate paying customers (and drives some of those legitimate customers to seek copies of games through other means). Those who don't pay for their games don't have to deal with the DRM, in the first place. So . . . it's all fucking pointless. But they don't care. A lot of the industry has their head so far up their asses that you'd think they were Hilary Rosen (former super-evil head of the RIAA) or Jack Valenti (former super-evil head of the MPAA).

DarkWaterSong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By DarkWaterSong

And this is why I will only buy games with DMR that can be used off-line. I had some nightmares trying to play Assassins Creed 2 with Time Warner's DNS server crashing for 2 weeks, and swore off any game that is single player but needs the internet. And Steam does not count, because it could go into offline mode without issues.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Branthog

@DarkWaterSong said:

And this is why I will only buy games with DMR that can be used off-line. I had some nightmares trying to play Assassins Creed 2 with Time Warner's DNS server crashing for 2 weeks, and swore off any game that is single player but needs the internet. And Steam does not count, because it could go into offline mode without issues.

What's ridiculous is that CD-KEYs should be just fine. They take the invasive bullshit out of the way and as long as you can provide the key, you're fine. It worked for many years and there is no way that they can contend that modern DRM is any more effective than a CD-KEY.

DarkWaterSong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By DarkWaterSong

@Branthog: I am just par@Branthog said:

@DarkWaterSong said:

What's ridiculous is that CD-KEYs should be just fine. They take the invasive bullshit out of the way and as long as you can provide the key, you're fine. It worked for many years and there is no way that they can contend that modern DRM is any more effective than a CD-KEY.

That is why I am just praying the ME3 is not going to require Origin.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By ajamafalous
    @patrickklepek: You have the same birthday as my dad!
    RareSpine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By RareSpine

I'm born on the 7th of February :(

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By BoG

Aquarians rule, Patrick.

Suigyoken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By Suigyoken

Oh man Patrick, what are you planning up for your birthday? Also I hope Ubisoft's phone support team will be riddled with people angry about this.

damnitsted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By damnitsted

woo! and I share a birthday! happy early birthday

John-Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By John-Luke

That's what you get for being born.

radioactivez0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By radioactivez0r

It's incredibly depressing that there is a company out there who won't allow you to play single player games you paid for for any period of time - it's actually intentional this time - and you guys are arguing over e-peens and birthdays. Do any of you actually care? Have you accepted it as part of life? Because it's bullshit. We should be up in arms over garbage like this.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#64  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

"Happy birthday zipperhead"

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#65  Edited By kerse

DRM just isn't the right answer, its not stopping pirates who really want to pirate anyways. Stuff like this is why I still prefer the consoles over PC.

SpicyRichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By SpicyRichter

@radioactivez0r said:

It's incredibly depressing that there is a company out there who won't allow you to play single player games you paid for for any period of time - it's actually intentional this time - and you guys are arguing over e-peens and birthdays. Do any of you actually care? Have you accepted it as part of life? Because it's bullshit. We should be up in arms over garbage like this.

I'm with you man, too much hate for each other, not enough hate for draconian DRM schemes that don't make a difference to piracy.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By phrali

people still play ubisoft PC games?

wtf?

overburning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By overburning

Ubisoft continues to impress...

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#69  Edited By tourgen

@Branthog said:

@DarkWaterSong said:

online checks are more about stopping used sales and lending out your copy to a friend when you're done with it. It's about propping a crappy game's market price over a longer period of time by limiting or removing secondary market. Pointing and throwing a crybaby tantrum over pirates is just a convenient marketing spin.

DarkWaterSong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By DarkWaterSong

@tourgen said:

@Branthog said:

@DarkWaterSong said:

online checks are more about stopping used sales and lending out your copy to a friend when you're done with it. It's about propping a crappy game's market price over a longer period of time by limiting or removing secondary market. Pointing and throwing a crybaby tantrum over pirates is just a convenient marketing spin.

I have no problem activating a game over the net, so it can bind to a system or something like steam that lets you install it wherever you want so long as you are logged into your account...and only 1 pc at a time can be logged in. I just hate things that force you to constantly be online to play a single player game. Why? Because my internet works 80% of the time, and it makes me mad when it or the DRM server goes down and I am left with something that I paid $50+ I can't play.

Also I am VERY worried about these games in 5 or so years, when I want to play them again. Sure they will work on steam, but will I have to by them again because Ubisoft or whoever removed then from their DRM server to save space? Like Deus Ex 3...I went back and played Deus Ex 1 and remembered why I was looking forward to 3.

Elsolar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Elsolar

Looks like pirates win again...

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#72  Edited By zitosilva

I think this is the first time I'm feeling how bad DRMs can be. I payed for Might and Magic Heros VI, fair and square. Even if this transition only takes a couple of hours, it seems unfair that I won't be able to play the game during this period.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#73  Edited By Legend

Patrick just had to let everyone in the world know that his birthday is February 7. Now THIS is news.

wafflez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By wafflez

wow, I had no idea I share the same birthday with a bunch of you duders!  2/7ers do it better!

pauleku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By pauleku

And this, Ubisoft, is why people pirate games.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#76  Edited By yukoasho

@phrali said:

people still play ubisoft PC games?

wtf?

My thoughts exactly. I've only considered their games on consoles since their asinine DRM scheme started. You buy an Ubisoft PC game, you get what you deserve. That's what I think, anyway.

laugurinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By laugurinn

UBISOFT YOU UBIMORONS

Larannis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Larannis

This is why I continue to not buy anything this company makes console or PC. Yes I missed out on some great games but I refuse to give them any of my money and I also refuse to pirate stuff. Good DRM (like steam) works but the shit they do only punishes the people who buy thier games legaly.

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#79  Edited By gbrading

I have been boycotting Ubisoft since they launched the Online Services Platform DRM, and I feel good about it. I might not have gotten to play any Assassin's Creed, but I don't care. So long as Ubisoft persist with this Orwellian DRM I refuse to give them my money. They dishonor the gaming industry with this continued farce.

Steam has proven that you can have DRM method that doesn't strangle your players at the same time. Ubisoft fail to understand this. P.S. Patrick's birthday' is 3 days before mine.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Branthog

@DarkWaterSong said:

@tourgen said:

@Branthog said:

@DarkWaterSong said:

I have no problem activating a game over the net, so it can bind to a system or something like steam that lets you install it wherever you want so long as you are logged into your account...and only 1 pc at a time can be logged in. I just hate things that force you to constantly be online to play a single player game. Why? Because my internet works 80% of the time, and it makes me mad when it or the DRM server goes down and I am left with something that I paid $50+ I can't play.

Also I am VERY worried about these games in 5 or so years, when I want to play them again. Sure they will work on steam, but will I have to by them again because Ubisoft or whoever removed then from their DRM server to save space? Like Deus Ex 3...I went back and played Deus Ex 1 and remembered why I was looking forward to 3.

The problem is that no DRM is acceptable, when the real reason is clearly as tourgen also mentioned and not "piracy". It's further not acceptable when, as is always pointed out in these discussions, only legitimate customers are impacted by this. So, it accomplishes nothing and only hurts their actual customers. There is no rational and acceptable justification for doing it, as a result. Even if they used an entirely reasonable DRM (and no matter what kind of DRM you use, I am of the opinion that it should dissolve itself after a couple or so years, after the money generation portion of the title's life has come and gone).

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
    deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess this is news...

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#82  Edited By Jedted

This sucks for all the Settlers fans(and those still playing AC1 on Mac i geuss).

Happy Birthday Patrick!

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

GRRR I CAN'T GO A DAY WITHOUT THE GAMES I WASN'T GOING TO PLAY ON THAT DAY ANYWAY

JackG100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#84  Edited By JackG100

I was going to buy Silent Hunter V, then I saw Ubisoft...

Jeaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Jeaz

Ehm, there's no Mac version of the first Assassin's Creed game.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#86  Edited By KaneRobot

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

GRRR I CAN'T GO A DAY WITHOUT THE GAMES I WASN'T GOING TO PLAY ON THAT DAY ANYWAY

It doesn't matter if they were or were not going to play the games on that day. They can't play the games they purchased, and that's a problem.

That's why this digital distribution future we're headed for is fucking bullshit, I don't care whether it's Steam, XBL, Origin, whatever. We no longer own our games, just a license to play them.

sumdumgai17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By sumdumgai17

Happy birthday in advance, Patrick!

Avatar image for inappropriate_touchscreen
    inappropriate_touchscreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, if you think of those games as 'Online Games', which they somewhat are, with the DRM, then it's perfectly normal to have some server downtime.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By mandude

@inappropriate_touchscreen: Quite a few of them aren't. Granted, some of them are pretty old.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Eyz

See, stuff like this is why DRM is so stupid.

The other day I found some ol' PC games in a store. Bought them, could play them afterwards easily. (besides 1 of these 7 titles I bought, 1 I needed to find some fan-launcher to play it under Windows 7)

Can you imagine that with DRM-enabled Games? Nope! In 5-10 years, you can just as simply throw them by the window. (or find some cracks online...which in the end would be better to find a pirate copy of the game to begin with...)

Kete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Kete

I just discovered i share a birthday with patrick.

UltimAXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By UltimAXE

I like the part where people who paid money are inconvenienced while the pirates are (conceivably) able to play their games.

Ubisoft keepin' it real.

BitterAlmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By BitterAlmond

@UltimAXE said:

I like the part where people who paid money are inconvenienced while the pirates are (conceivably) able to play their games.

Ubisoft keepin' it real.

And this is why I pick up no-cd, no-DRM cracks for the games that I purchase legally. If I pay for it, I can modify it how I want, including removing the ridiculous locks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.