Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

UFC 2009 Undisputed

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 19, 2009

UFC 2009 Undisputed is a mixed martial arts fighting game developed by Yuke's Osaka, developers of the WWE SmackDown! games. It is the first UFC game to be released under the licensing agreement signed with THQ.

I'm terrible at submissions...I don't get this game.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mike

I went through the tutorial, created a fighter (Jack Mayhoffer), and have been progressing through career mode. My record is now 17-3-0, all by KO or TKO...I haven't been able to land a single submission, even though my guy's submission offense is nearly at 70 now.

I'm able to do transitions and get into a good position, but any time I try a submission the computer just gets out of it and we stand up. I seem to win almost every fight by getting a lucky stand-up knockout, or getting into full mount and bashing my opponent's face in.

Any tips?

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Karmum

You and me both, I'm currently 18-3 now and all of them have been KOs. This isn't going to be a post that is going to help you, but I'm glad to know somebody is going through the same situation. The tutorial doesn't do a good job of explaining everything thoroughly, to say the least. As far as I know, I think getting into the submission (and a successful tap-out), is dependent on their stamina and how much damage they have sustained. I don't think there is truth to that, though, because my dude tapped out within a minute into the match, and sustained minimal damage.

I hate kicking and punching my way to wins, because I just want to get the Submission of the Night for one achievement.

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

Weird, I seem to be having the same sort of problem. My submission offense isn't nearly as high as yours yet, so I figured it must just be that, but I guess not. It could be that the guy's stamina was too high, as I never manage get it into the red before they get knocked out, has it been low when you tried the submissions?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187

MB:  amazing at SFIV, bad at UFC.  lol

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mike
    @jakob187: Pretty  much...but in all fairness, I have about 350 hours into SFIV and about 3 hours into UFC.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mike
    Muttinus_Rump said:
    Weird, I seem to be having the same sort of problem. My submission offense isn't nearly as high as yours ... [more]
    I have tried it a few times when my opponent was in the red, still no go. I'm using the "rotate RS" method, maybe I should try button mashing instead.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jakob187
    MB said:
    @jakob187: Pretty  much...but in all fairness, I have about 350 hours into SFIV and about 3 hours into UFC. [more]
    Sounds like I need to get amazing at the game so I can at least rock your face off in SOMETHING!  lol

Also, what the HELL is up with your achievements?  I KNOW you don't have 264K achievement points!!!
    Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Lowbrow
    @MB:

Don't feel bad at all about, the biggest issue with the AI is that its a complete pushover in most everything but the hardest difficulties, but its very badly imbalanced when it comes to submissions. They're not impossible, but a lot harder to land with the AI.

First tip, take someone with a high submission offense. Secondly, it seems the higher up the mount ladder you are, the easier it pops.

Thirdly, try to submit a part of the body that has taken damage - triangle if you've beat em in the head, armbar if their arms have taken a beating due to excessive blocking.

Like I said, the AI is a pain in the ass to submit, once you jump online, it becomes easier to catch a submission.
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Karmum
    MB said:
    Muttinus_Rump said: Weird, I seem to be having the same sort of problem. My submission offense isn't nearly as high ... [more]
    I actually tried rotating and using A or B, and that actually seems to work getting out of submissions...every now and then.
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    I played though the career  and had something like 36 wins and 2 loss

only once did i win with submissions and i have 97 in that skill
    mahi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mahi

turn the HUD and only attempt submissions when their stamina is low

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Karmum
    mahi said:
    turn the HUD and only attempt submissions when their stamina is low
    Assuming you haven't knocked them out by then! :P
    mahi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mahi
    @Karmum: true dat
    PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By PercyChuggs

Submissions against real life online fighters are easier, if not completely arbitrary.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jakob187

Alright, so we got a copy of the game in at work now...and I totally understand what you guys mean now.  I only played for about 30 minutes, but still, I couldn't get a single damn submission to work.  I kept getting into a full mount and knocking them out instead.

I'll get some more time in with the game later tonight when I get off work, but nonetheless, this looks like a tough game to master.  Thank God!
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mike
    PercyChuggs said:
    Submissions against real life online fighters are easier, if not completely arbitrary.
    I just did an online match playing as Chuck Liddell against Rampage, and I submitted him out with an arm bar in the second round...my first submission ever. Tapping the buttons was the key, rotating the joystick seems worthless.
    ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By ocdog45
    @MB:
    do the tuturials over and over, then spare with someone. yuo're obviously doing it wrong.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.