Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

1080p?

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By sjschmidt93

It says 1080p is supported on the back of the box, but my TV says it's only displaying in 720p, why? My display setting have every resolution selected, I don't get it. 

When I'm on the XMB it says 1080p HD, when I'm played Uncharted 2 it says 720p.   

Why cruel world, WHHHHHY?!?!

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By mordukai

Ok, this is what you do. Go to your Display settings in the XMB and unmark the 720p and the 1080i. Next time you start the game it will be in 1080p. 

juanvaldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By juanvaldes

silly question, HDMI cable from ps3 to tv? 

/me goes to check 

[edit] okay look at the "DEFINITION" gfx on the back of the box more closely. It states "480P, 720P, 1080i, 1080P" with 720P bolded in red. 

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @Mordukai: Cool, thanks.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mordukai
    @SJSchmidt93: Your welcome. The PS3 is kinda weird about the display resolution. For example, Some games, like inFamous will only display in 720 and if you have the 720p marked off in the display settings the game will revert to 480p, but Killzone 2 says on the box that it only goes up to 1080i but it will run at 1080p. I think the reason for it is that eventually Sony wants all games to run at a native 1080p.  

btw, did it work?
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @Mordukai said:
    " @SJSchmidt93: Your welcome. The PS3 is kinda weird about the display resolution. For example, Some games, like inFamous will only display in 720 and if you have the 720p marked off in the display settings the game will revert to 480p, but Killzone 2 says on the box that it only goes up to 1080i but it will run at 1080p. I think the reason for it is that eventually Sony wants all games to run at a native 1080p.   btw, did it work? "
    Yes.
    Whiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Whiz

Yeah the box defiantly says 720p

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By korwin

What's written on the back of the box has generally has no correlation to the actual rendered output of the game. Very few games on either platform are actually natively rendered at 1080p (1920x1080) infact you can probably count the number of PS3 releases with native 1080p on one hand (GT5P, Wipeout HD.... I guess thats about it not including a couple of PSN games). All your essentially doing by unticking the 720p and 1080i options is then upscaling the 720p source (similar to say blowing up a small photo in a paint program) via a software based upscaler. You will also find that in some cases you will receive a 480p source instead of a 1080p upscaled source (ala inFamous). This is normally due to a game being rendered at a resolution bellow 720p (1280x720) for whatever reason... normally when a developer will drop the resolution of a title to keep the frame rate consistant if they cant optimise their code any further. The PS3 then seems to default to rendering the game at SD instead of upscaling the image... dont ask me why just seems to be the way its designed. Anyway long story short, your not missing out on anything by having the ps3 rendering the game natively and having your TV handle the upscaling... infact as the PS3's scaling is software based not hardware based like the 360's youll likely remove some small amount of processing overhead which could impact your systems over all performance.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Mordukai said:
    " Ok, this is what you do. Go to your Display settings in the XMB and unmark the 720p and the 1080i. Next time you start the game it will be in 1080p.  "
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By KamasamaK
    @Korwin said:
    " Anyway long story short, your not missing out on anything by having the ps3 rendering the game natively and having your TV handle the upscaling... "
    Unless your TV does an inferior job scaling, which is entirely possible. But one shouldn't assume it does; compare them to see if there is a noticeable difference.
    uberpwner93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By uberpwner93

I was confused about this as well, but then I saw the "720p" highlighted in red. So that cleared up a lot of fog.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.