Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Game Does Well...

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ververdan0226
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By Atlas

Sony really needed this to perform, and it looks like it did. Million by the end of the month seems more than possible, 2-3 million by the end of the year.

Well done Naughty Dog.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mordukai

I would take VGchartz numbers with a gain of salt. I am sure this game sold very well but I'll just wait until NPD numbers come out. 

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Griddler
    @coolarman said:
    " FUCK THIS GAME  "
    FUCK YOU.

Ahem, glad to see it's doing well. It's nice knowing I did my bit.
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By calidan777
    @coolarman said:
    " FUCK THIS GAME  "
    Really?  That's just sad.

But yeah, it's an amazing game and deserves to sell as many copies as it can.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond
    @Mordukai said:
    I would take VGchartz numbers with a gain of salt.
    Less than a grain of salt even.

BTW, this upcoming NPD won't have Uncharted 2 numbers, we're going to have to wait until NEXT NPD.
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Griddler
    @coolarman: Leave troll.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By wefwefasdf

I want to pick it up but  I shouldn't really spend anymore money this month. I have to save SOME of it...   
    I'm really glad this game is selling well. They'll be a bunch of people to play online.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Scooper

Great it's selling quite well.

@coolarman:

You fail for being a twat and also having an avatar about the Iran election months after anyone still cared.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Griddler
    @coolarman said:
    " @girdz said:
    " @coolarman: Leave troll. "
    I AM NO FUCKING TROLL "
    I'm sure..
    Avatar image for deactivated-589b97df1f8d4
    deactivated-589b97df1f8d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@coolarman:
    Do I hear clucking?....Did someone bring a chicken in here?!
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Scooper
    @coolarman: Oh yeah that's totaly racist. Get the hell out of here.
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Griddler
    @coolarman said:
    " @girdz said:
    I AM NO FUCKING TROLL "
    You're not a good one anyway.
    Legit_NeRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Legit_NeRD
    @girdz said:
    " @coolarman said:
    " @girdz said:
    I AM NO FUCKING TROLL "
    You're not a good one anyway. "
    What the hells up with this asshole man if he doesn't like the game then don't post anything on the forums
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Griddler
    @Legit_NeRD: I don't know, if this is how he gets his kicks... 

Back to the game then, it sounds like Naughty Dog worked really hard on this game and I'm glad it paid off.
    Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Out_On_Bail
    @coolarman: You should be careful with that, he could get you banned.  If this is even true.
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Griddler
    @coolarman said:
    " @Legit_NeRD said:
    " @girdz said:
    " @coolarman said:
    " @girdz said:
    I AM NO FUCKING TROLL "
    You're not a good one anyway. "
    What the hells up with this asshole man if he doesn't like the game then don't post anything on the forums "
    FUCK YOU PEOPLE SHOULDN'T LIKE THIS GAME "
    Wow. It  seems like someone's just learned how to use a keyboard. What... You can't afford a PS3 and you don't like that people have something that you don't? I can't figure out why you're trolling so hard.
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Griddler
    @coolarman said:
    " @girdz said:
    " @Legit_NeRD: I don't know, if this is how he gets his kicks...   Back to the game then, it sounds like Naughty Dog worked really hard on this game and I'm glad it paid off. "
    look dude i am sorry my little brother who hates this game has been posting shit all over the forums. I haven't played this game yet and i want to. My little brother is such an ass he figured out my password so sorry "
     I find that hard to believe for several reasons.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

jesus christ what the fuck do you sony guys buy?

this is suppose to be one of the best games ever and it sells only "good"?

AtypicalLoki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AtypicalLoki

More than awesome. It's the best game released this generation by a long shot. 

Numbers will be hard to judge. VGChartz are usually within 4-5% of NPD numbers, and they also track more regions. NPD Doesn't track Canada, for instance.

Not only that, Uncharted is a much bigger IP in Europe than it is in America. Still, it's doing very very well. 

Opening week should be about 1.2million across all territories.

VGChartz is a lot more reliable than a lot of people claim, it might not be good for exact numbers but it is surely great for a relative comparison.

That being said, this is great for naughty dog, They've created an absolutely fantastic game. Playing it was like watching the birth of another ocarnia of time.

Then again, first post, so take what I say with an even bigger grain of salt.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Griddler
    @MAN_FLANNEL: Well I buy Uncharted 2, sales will pick up around Christmas.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Diamond
    @AtypicalLoki said:
    NPD Doesn't track Canada, for instance.
    NPD has a separate data set for Canada.  Usually people don't even care about those numbers.

@AtypicalLoki said:
    VGChartz is a lot more reliable than a lot of people claim, it might not be good for exact numbers but it is surely great for a relative comparison.
    Reliable?  Not at all.  Might randomly get stuff right through guessing?  Sure.
    AtypicalLoki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AtypicalLoki
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " jesus christ what the fuck do you sony guys buy?  this is suppose to be one of the best games ever and it sells only "good"? "
    uncharted is a lot like mass effect. It targets the core gamer. This isn't a halo or gears of war game. I will double mass effects sales, just to tell you how good it is doing, maybe even a milion more than double.
     Core single player games with amazing experiences haven't been top selling games in years on any HD console. It's all about call of duty and halo.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By shadows_kill
    @Diamond said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    I would take VGchartz numbers with a gain of salt.
    Less than a grain of salt even.  BTW, this upcoming NPD won't have Uncharted 2 numbers, we're going to have to wait until NEXT NPD. "
    does that mean we have to wait to see the # til november 30th?
    AtypicalLoki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AtypicalLoki

Do you have any proof of their numbers being off? They've had countless lists of their numbers being within 4-5% of NPD. 
    Still, the attitude that only American sales show how good a game is that of complete assholes.
    Americans have been buying nothing but sports games, halo and call of duty/gears for years now.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @AtypicalLoki said:

" @MAN_FLANNEL said:

" jesus christ what the fuck do you sony guys buy?  this is suppose to be one of the best games ever and it sells only "good"? "
    uncharted is a lot like mass effect. It targets the core gamer. This isn't a halo or gears of war game. I will double mass effects sales, just to tell you how good it is doing, maybe even a milion more than double.  Core single player games with amazing experiences haven't been top selling games in years on any HD console. It's all about call of duty and halo. "
    Uncharted is nothing like mass effect.  Mass effect was a single player rpg.  Why shouldnt this game sell like gears of war? 
    Uncharted is a 3rd person shooter, with an expanded multiplayer just like gears of war   It's basically the same thing with the same focus.  Why the hell are you guys not buying your games?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Diamond
    @shadows_kill said:

does that mean we have to wait to see the # til november 30th? "

Yea, unless you care to know it sold like 43K in Japan in the first week which was pretty good.  edit - not quite the 30th I think, not sure when exactly

@AtypicalLoki

said:

Do you have any proof of their numbers being off?

Compare VGChartz to numbers not presented on their own site, actual NPDs or anything.  What really sold me on VGChartz being BS is them saying 360 had sold 10 million hardware units over a year before they actually did.  When I found that out I never trusted them since.
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Steve_C
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " @AtypicalLoki said:

" @MAN_FLANNEL said:

uncharted is a lot like mass effect. It targets the core gamer. This isn't a halo or gears of war game. I will double mass effects sales, just to tell you how good it is doing, maybe even a milion more than double.  Core single player games with amazing experiences haven't been top selling games in years on any HD console. It's all about call of duty and halo. "
    Uncharted is nothing like mass effect.  Mass effect was a single player rpg.  Why shouldnt this game sell like gears of war?  Uncharted is a 3rd person shooter, with an expanded multiplayer just like gears of war   It's basically the same thing with the same focus.  Why the hell are you guys not buying your games? "
    The brand recognition isn't there yet with Uncharted, at least in the way that it is with Gears, and the mulitplayer aspect is a new thing where it was pretty central to Gears from the very first game. Not to mention the smaller install base of the PS3, and the US/EU appeal (though news of good sales in Japan is nice).

I'm hoping through advertising, word of mouth, and PS3 sales this christmas that this game will get out there in the way it deserves.
    AtypicalLoki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AtypicalLoki
    @Diamond said:

" @shadows_kill said:

does that mean we have to wait to see the # til november 30th? "

Yea, unless you care to know it sold like 43K in Japan in the first week which was pretty good.

@AtypicalLoki said:

Do you have any proof of their numbers being off?

Compare VGChartz to numbers not presented on their own site, actual NPDs or anything.  What really sold me on VGChartz being BS is them saying 360 had sold 10 million hardware units over a year before they actually did.  When I found that out I never trusted them since. "

They used to be off by a bit, but now its much more accurate.

An example: 

August 2009 NPD

Hardware sales

August 2009 VGChartz

237,189 PS3

Just one value, but it also includes the week ending August 1st 2009, which means it included some of july sales. That's pretty accurate.

1. Madden NFL 10 (360) / Electronic Arts / 928,000
    2. Wii Sports Resort w/ Wii Motion Plus (Wii) / Nintendo / 754,000
    3. Madden NFL 10 (PS3) / Electronic Arts/ 665,000
    4. Batman: Arkham Asylum (360) / Square Enix (Eidos) / 303,000
    5. Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3) / Square Enix (Eidos) / 290,000
    These numbers are also very very close to vgchartz, not a single one off by more than 2%. The only discrepancy is in the Batman game, and this is because of NPD's lack of proper tracking in some areas of the states. Batman has, and is still outselling the 360 version by about 10%. 

@@MAN_FLANNEL said:

" @AtypicalLoki said:

" @MAN_FLANNEL said:

Uncharted is nothing like mass effect.  Mass effect was a single player rpg.  Why shouldnt this game sell like gears of war?  Uncharted is a 3rd person shooter, with an expanded multiplayer just like gears of war   It's basically the same thing with the same focus.  Why the hell are you guys not buying your games? "
    Uncharted is a lot like mass effect. Uncharted 1 came out and established itself as a single player game. no one has been hyping uncharted for its multiplayer.
    Uncharted 2's multiplayer is far better than gears of war 2, with much better level design, modes and such, but its not selling as a multiplayer game, its just there for everyone to have if they want it, but its not the focus of the game.

Gears of war 2 is a multiplayer game with a lackluster, stupid, poorly written single player campaign that is just there to get players used to the controls. 

Uncharted 2 is a masterfully written single player adventure, with story, set pieces, character interaction and writing that makes every other game developers attempts at single player experiences look bad. Not only that, it takes massive stabs at the movie industry and producing what would be, the absolutely best critically acclaimed movie this year, maybe even over the last 5 years, if it had been a movie instead. 

That being said, its a single player game. It's not rough and manly, it's not about sports, it's not about busting alien ass or fighting in some war with your bros. Because of this, it does not attract the majority of video gamers. People that play games for the story, the adventure and the experience are all but gone. It's all about showing them online and proving your point. Halo, gears and call of duty are the main places to do this, and thats the single reason why uncharted 2 wont sell so well, Why would you pick up uncharted 2 for multiplayer when Call of Duty is coming? Halo 3: ODST only sold to loyal halo followers, and anyone else will surely not bother with it. Uncharted doesn't have a loyal multiplayer following.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Steve_C said:

" @MAN_FLANNEL said:

" @AtypicalLoki said:

" @MAN_FLANNEL said:

The brand recognition isn't there yet with Uncharted, at least in the way that it is with Gears, and the mulitplayer aspect is a new thing where it was pretty central to Gears from the very first game. Not to mention the smaller install base of the PS3, and the US/EU appeal (though news of good sales in Japan is nice).  I'm hoping through advertising, word of mouth, and PS3 sales this christmas that this game will get out there in the way it deserves. "
    The numbers should still be higher.  Its first installment was two years ago and was a well received game, so people should know about it.  Also, the number of PS3s out there now are not too far from what the 360 was a year ago.  The first gears sold similar numbers with what, a quarter of what the ps3's user base is now? 
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @AtypicalLoki: 
    Holy fuck i didn't know i was talking to a fucking fanboy.  What the fuck is wrong with you? Why the fuck would you argue that Uncharted is much better than gears of war when that has nothing to do with what i was talking about.  Oh thats right, your a fucking fanboy.

You honestly think that Uncharted 2, a third person shooter with tits, sex, explosions, and AKs; a game that has a 10 hour single player and a hugely fleshed out multiplayer is more like mass effect: a single player 30 hour rpg?  Were you hit in the head as a child?

Uncharted 2 is Sony's Gears of War.  Both are third person shooters, both have similar multiplayer offerings, both have under 10 hour campaigns, and both will have most of their hours played put into multiplayer.  They BOTH are targeted at the same audiance.

Like i said before, The first gears of war sold what would seem to be simular numbers THREE FUCKING YEARS AGO!  when the 360 had probably less than a third of what the ps3s user base is now, and when the name "gears of war" had no significance behind it.  

Dont be a fucking fanboy, i was trying to have a civilized conversation as why this game isn't selling, and you run your mooncup mouth about how its shits on jesus. 

The point still stands as to why people with PS3s are not buying this game. 
    AtypicalLoki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AtypicalLoki

It wouldn't sell well on the 360 either, you missed the point. Oh well.

Regardless of my fanboyism for this game, you're missing the point of my post. Americans simply dont want a game that isn't halo, football or call of duty. Gears gets a pass with 12 year olds because of the insane blood.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @AtypicalLoki said:
    " It wouldn't sell well on the 360 either, you missed the point. Oh well. "
    So a game that according to you is better than gears of war in every way wouldn't sell better than it because of the fact that it is better?  Thats some fucked up reasoning.  

So your telling me that if gears of wars multiplayer was "far better", and its campaign was made into the best movie in 5 years, it would sell less? because it was better?
    AtypicalLoki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AtypicalLoki

If the best games sold the most, we wouldn't see a certain game selling 10 million. That is fact. Games sell based on fan base. Games like brawl for instance is a sub par fighter by every means yet it still sells more than street fighter IV, what are you trying to get at?

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By eclipsesis
    @coolarman:

I have never seen someone so hated just because of one post, but i guess you deserve it for being an idiotic prick.

The game is awesome I'm really proud of Naughty Dog, makes me glad that i have bought every Naughty Dog title there has ever been, and to watch the all the experience combine into this one game was amazing.  

EDIT: coolarman if your other post is to be believed them i am sorry for the "Idiot bit"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.