Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Is this game worth buying a ps3 for?!

roroc007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By roroc007

Is this game worth buying a ps3 for?!

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JokerClown88

In a word...YES!!! 

Watch the video review and see how excited Brad is about the game.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

I would say so, And get a PS3 anyway since there's plenty of good games for it anyway.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By VWGTI
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " I would say so, And get a PS3 anyway since there's plenty of good games for it anyway. "
    This guy speaks truth.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Druminator: It's a bug. It's already been reported but I don't know if the staff knows about it yet.
    To_Ez_2_Own_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By To_Ez_2_Own_U

YES! plus like the other guys r saying...theres so many good games for the ps3 + everything else it just besides games..its one of  the best $400 i spent
    Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Warfare

Absolutely yes it is  worth buying a PS3 for this game.    

Mithlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mithlas

No, a single game is never worth buying a whole console for. However, the PS3 has a library of fairly good games and this is not a bad one to play if you enjoy shooters at all. If you're going to do something, especially expensive, you might as well have several reasons for it instead of just one.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zombie2011

if your interested in other games than yes but if your only buying a system for one game than no its not worth it.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Meowayne
    @Mithlas said:
    " No, a single game is never worth buying a whole console for. "
    Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11  Edited By Castiel

uhm... yeah I would say so, but buy Uncharted 1 first. ;)

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By skrutop

A single game is never worth a new console, but it can be the straw that breaks the camel's back when there are others out that I've been interested in.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Karmum

No individual game is enough to warrant a console purchase.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By JoelTGM

why do people keep saying a single game is not worth buying a console for?  ugh we get it already.  obviously if you buy the console you'd continue to check out other games for it.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By spaceturtle

yes yes yes. do it!

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Jeust
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:

" why do people keep saying a single game is not worth buying a console for?  ugh we get it already.  obviously if you buy the console you'd continue to check out other games for it. "

Easy, as people who do it come to realize weeks or months later that their little whim was a wee expensive, and they are past that game.

It happened to me.
    Lolzhacked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lolzhacked

I am going to agree with a few people that have already posted before me, and say that one game is not enough to buy a system, but PS3 has more then a few great games that you should play, so I would say get one for sure!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#18  Edited By Yummylee

Indeed it is, that goes along with plenty of other reasons though..

Bolduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bolduk
    @Meowayne said:
    " @Mithlas said:
    "
    You are wrong. I did this for the Nintendo 64 with Zelda Ocarina of Time, Wii and Mario Galaxy, PS3 and Killzone 2. And I've never been disappointed afterward. Because of course, you always buy a console for a specific game (or 2), but each system have their own advantages. Halo 3 and Gears are the 360 sellers, while Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 are the PS3 sellers (and GoW 3 and GT5 next year). In that case, yes a game is worth buying a console for.

Also, 300$ is not the world... that's not even 4 days of work, come on!
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By Icemael
    @Bolduk said:
    " @Meowayne said:
    " @Mithlas said:
    "
    You are wrong. I did this for the Nintendo 64 with Zelda Ocarina of Time, Wii and Mario Galaxy, PS3 and Killzone 2. And I've never been disappointed afterward. Because of course, you always buy a console for a specific game (or 2), but each system have their own advantages. Halo 3 and Gears are the 360 sellers, while Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 are the PS3 sellers (and GoW 3 and GT5 next year). In that case, yes a game is worth buying a console for.  Also, 300$ is not the world... that's not even 4 days of work, come on! "
    System sellers are not called system sellers because they're the only reason people buy consoles. They're called system sellers because they're a major part of the reason people buy it. No reasonable person would purchase a console and only get one game for it.
    Mithlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mithlas
    @Bolduk: Please read my whole post, I said that one game is merely one reason to buy a console - if you don't have other games, you don't have other reasons. Most people have lots of other games that they "have an eye on" and that one game is a "deal breaker" or, as Icemael concisely put what I was trying to say, a "system seller" not because it's the only reason but because it's a major part of the reason.

You mentioned that you bought Halo 3 and Gears, but I bet that you had at least 5 games (if not probably more) on the Xbox that you thought were good before you seriously decided to go out and buy it. You might have decided to do it for one game, but that would be called "compulsive purchasing" and even if it's "only" $300 USD that's still a lot of money - it's more than the monthly car payments for many people I know. I'm betting that you don't have to do things like pay for car, phone, utilities, and mortgage, but many people who do know they can't afford to blow that much money without preparing for it for more than 4 days, even besides a large segment of the world that doesn't get paid as much as most of your prospective jobs.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By handlas

I liked Uncharted 1.  And after beating Uncharted 2....honestly?  No.

It's a tad overrated.  A lot overhyped.  The game is good, don't get me wrong but not a SOLE reason to buy a PS3.  Maybe there was so much gushing over it that I expected too much.  The story was pretty lame imo, first game's was probably better.  The main boss was disappointing.  It seemed like they tried to do a little twist thing in this game that was pretty similar to the first game where you fight normal guys the entire game and then suddenly they throw a different enemy at you near the end which felt kinda tacked on.   Guess I shouldn't say more since it is getting spoilerish and why can't I click the spoiler tag ;/?

Demon's Souls was the best game I've played in a while.  PS3 + Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls combo is a system seller imo.  I still need to get my hands on Ratchet and Clank as well.

Bolduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bolduk
    @Mithlas said:

" @Bolduk: Please read my whole post, I said that one game is merely one reason to buy a console - if you don't have other games, you don't have other reasons. Most people have lots of other games that they "have an eye on" and that one game is a "deal breaker" or, as Icemael concisely put what I was trying to say, a "system seller" not because it's the only reason but because it's a major part of the reason.

You mentioned that you bought Halo 3 and Gears, but I bet that you had at least 5 games (if not probably more) on the Xbox that you thought were good before you seriously decided to go out and buy it. You might have decided to do it for one game, but that would be called "compulsive purchasing" and even if it's "only" $300 USD that's still a lot of money - it's more than the monthly car payments for many people I know. I'm betting that you don't have to do things like pay for car, phone, utilities, and mortgage, but many people who do know they can't afford to blow that much money without preparing for it for more than 4 days, even besides a large segment of the world that doesn't get paid as much as most of your prospective jobs. "

Well, yeah i did bought the 360 only for Halo 3 and Gears of War, and I don't call it a 'compulsive purchase'. This said, like some dudes pointed out above our posts, once you finally bought your console, there will obviously be some games that will catch your attention, and then, you'll look at some reviews and ultimately buy them. That's my case. Most of the world would be 'compulsive purchasers' if you look at the 360 and PS2 release... I mean, most people bought them as soon as there was a game worth it, and they 'knew' that somehow, other good games would come out. The same situation is real for the PS3 and the Wii (gosh the Wii is the best example, there are like 5 games worth it and most people still buy it... me the first lol). Oh and I do have to pay my car, my cellphone, and my college stuff, ect. I still manage to keep some cash for my free times. But yeah, I was exaggerating with the 4 days thing.

So yes I get your point, but do you get mine? Uncharted 2 is definitely a must buy, and as you mentioned it yourself, there are a bunch of games that are out and that pretty much every gamer has an eye on. I'm talking about games like Ratchet, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Demon's Souls, ect. Now of course, each person has its preferences over others, but now that we are in the middle of the current gen, there are a huge amount of games that one can like. And the PS3 is the console that got the most varied games list, from RPG, platformer, adventure and racing to shooter, puzzle, family, ect. The PS3 (and each other console) has now a hundred of good reasons to be purchased, and looking at that game catalog that is coming in 2010, I believe that any gamer would feel that buying it was the right choice.

Now it comes to the guy, will he just buy the PS3 for Uncharted 2 only? I don't think so. Chances are that he'll buy some more games later and that he'll like them too. And that's a fact for I think pretty much every gamer. I had no idea that Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Uncharted 2 would be such great games when I bought my PS3 back years ago, they weren't even out and I was not a game website reader and I didn't care much about the gaming events back then... my point is: I bought the PS3 for Ratchet and Clank and Resistance (and Killzone 2 which should have been released the same time the PS3 came out if I recall) and man what a surprise when I got my hands on the Uncharted series. There are games that we never heard of that turn to be the best of all, and you can't really predict this. Am I clear? Because I feel like I can't get the right words to describe what I meant lol.

Oh well, whatever, I hope he'll be buying one because he'll definitely miss a hell of an experience with Uncharted 2!
    ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By ADTR_ZERO

No, not for you. If you have to ask then you're not worthy.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By EVO

Yes. Drake is worth turning gay for.

monkeyroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By monkeyroach
    @Karmum said:
    " No individual game is enough to warrant a console purchase. "
    THis
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zombie2011
    @monkeyroach said:
    " @Karmum said:
    " No individual game is enough to warrant a console purchase. "
    THis "
    This x2
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By EpicSteve

No single game is worth a console purchase, but Uncharted 2 combined with Sony's great library and titles to come make another good argument for purchasing a PS3.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Akeldama

yes

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Mithlas said:
    " No, a single game is never worth buying a whole console for. However, the PS3 has a library of fairly good games and this is not a bad one to play if you enjoy shooters at all. If you're going to do something, especially expensive, you might as well have several reasons for it instead of just one. "
    I agree with this guy. If there's a game worth buying a whole console over, then it hasn't come out yet. That aside, it's an incredible game, the multiplayer fun is just endless, and this game is the definition of polished. Not one aspect of the game is broken of glitched.
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Zereta

Lets put it this way: I own an Xbox 360 and am a Die Hard Halo fan, Bungie fanboy and well... 

I want to buy a PS3 primarily to play this game. 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By oldschool

Mot for me.  I am yet to buy a PS3 and UC2 is not even close to making it worthwhile.  Maybe when FF XIII comes along, yet I can still get that for my 360 (but I would rather get it for the PS3).  Action adventure games are largely me'h to me.  This will be a budget buy eventually and nothing more.

Bolduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bolduk

Actually, it depends on what you are going to do with your new console. Will it be the primary console you'll play on? Do you plan on buying other games after Uncharted 2?

Personally, I think it's the best time to buy a PS3. It's cheaper than ever ($299), the slim version looks sexy, the exclusive games are mind-blowing, it got the most varied games library, built-in wi-fi, blu-ray player, huge hard drive disk (120-250 GB). And the 2009 games line up was amazing. Even the 2010 line up (not even fully announced) is looking to be the best year ever for gaming and especially for PS3. Don't forget that the two flagship titles of Sony (God of War 3 and Gran Turismo 5) will be released in spring-summer, so you'll have plenty of reasons to keep your PS3 turned on.

All in all, Uncharted 2 is probably what's best on the market in the current gaming generation, so that's one hell of a good start. If you are going to buy other games in the future for your PS3, well then yes, Uncharted 2 is worth buying a PS3 for.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#35  Edited By KowalskiManDown

No. One game can never justify the purchase of a whole console... but it certainly helps.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
    The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By The_Philosopher
    @roroc007: 
    Yes. This and Metal Gear Solid 4, inFamous, Little Big Planet and Killzone 2 are all great. Also there's a lot of great PSN titles like Gravity Crash, Shatter, Flower and Fat Princess.
    Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Gruff182

Yes, but it shouldn't matter. Sony's library of exclusive titles alone, is enough for anybody who is truely into gaming, to want one. Anybody who still isn't interested in the PS3, either can't afford it (which is fair enough), is in denial or just plain stupid.

shulinchung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By shulinchung

No, because just like KZ2, Resistance2, and inFamous,  you have a lot of similar AAA shooter titles on 360. However, if you are also interested in Demon's Souls, MGS4, and God of War series, then yes. There are currently no AAA titles that are similar to these three games on 360.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @Mithlas said:
    " No, a single game is never worth buying a whole console for. However, the PS3 has a library of fairly good games and this is not a bad one to play if you enjoy shooters at all. If you're going to do something, especially expensive, you might as well have several reasons for it instead of just one. "
    i respectfully disagree. 
    Uncharted 2 is a great reason to buy a ps3. Its not like this is the only thing he'll use it for folks. its just the one reason to say, you know what, I SHOULD own this thing. And then he can pick up some of the other GREAT games (fairly good?! come on now).
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MeierTheRed

Justifying buying a console for only one game is a bit hard, but if you did buy a PS3 you would love Uncharted 2, and i'm pretty sure you would come to enjoy the console and all the things it has to offer.

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

If you own a 360, no it's not worth it because the library of games are mostly the same on each console except for the few exclusives. If you don't own a 360 then BY GOD WHY DON'T YOU OWN A CURRENT GEN CONSOLE YET!? Get the PS3 right away! 

Then again if you're cursed with a large sum of money and have to depart with it. Then go ahead and get it anyway.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By Griddler

I would say.. Hell. Yes.

Bolduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bolduk
    @Suicidal_SNiper said:
    " If you own a 360, no it's not worth it because the library of games are mostly the same on each console except for the few exclusives. If you don't own a 360 then BY GOD WHY DON'T YOU OWN A CURRENT GEN CONSOLE YET!? Get the PS3 right away!   Then again if you're cursed with a large sum of money and have to depart with it. Then go ahead and get it anyway. "
    I disagree with you about the exclusives. PS3 is on a rampage right now. 360 had good years for exclusives (2005-2008). But now's the PS3's turn. All of my buddies or family who bought a 360 are now switching for PS3... it seems it's the right choice as of fall 2009 and early 2010. Don't ask me why, but every single person I know is getting somehow... bored of their 360. Yes 2009 was slow on Microsoft's side, but it's not the only reason. The PS3 is cheaper than the 360. And while I must say that the 360 online services are better than PSN, most arguments people told me are: built-in wi-fi and free online services. Maybe it doesn't seem like it, but people do care about investing $150 into a system that is said to be the best and find it kind of frustrating... Basically a complete 360 experience is about $450 (360 Elite, Wi-fi, Live 1 year subscription) and the PS3 is $300 with everything the 360 has to offer (except maybe online services) and has the advantage of the blu-ray. Sadly, there is another point, the 360 had a slow year for exclusives, and it's doing a reverse situation for the PS3. Remember in 2006-2007 when everybody was looking at the PS3 like a piece of junk? Well Sony finally got their revenge lol. 

I wouldn't have bet a dollar that the PS3 would be that strong in 2009... but Sony proved me wrong.
    Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
    @Bolduk said:
    " @Suicidal_SNiper said:
    " If you own a 360, no it's not worth it because the library of games are mostly the same on each console except for the few exclusives. If you don't own a 360 then BY GOD WHY DON'T YOU OWN A CURRENT GEN CONSOLE YET!? Get the PS3 right away!   Then again if you're cursed with a large sum of money and have to depart with it. Then go ahead and get it anyway. "
    I disagree with you about the exclusives. PS3 is on a rampage right now. 360 had good years for exclusives (2005-2008). But now's the PS3's turn. All of my buddies or family who bought a 360 are now switching for PS3... it seems it's the right choice as of fall 2009 and early 2010. Don't ask me why, but every single person I know is getting somehow... bored of their 360. Yes 2009 was slow on Microsoft's side, but it's not the only reason. The PS3 is cheaper than the 360. And while I must say that the 360 online services are better than PSN, most arguments people told me are: built-in wi-fi and free online services. Maybe it doesn't seem like it, but people do care about investing $150 into a system that is said to be the best and find it kind of frustrating... Basically a complete 360 experience is about $450 (360 Elite, Wi-fi, Live 1 year subscription) and the PS3 is $300 with everything the 360 has to offer (except maybe online services) and has the advantage of the blu-ray. Sadly, there is another point, the 360 had a slow year for exclusives, and it's doing a reverse situation for the PS3. Remember in 2006-2007 when everybody was looking at the PS3 like a piece of junk? Well Sony finally got their revenge lol.   I wouldn't have bet a dollar that the PS3 would be that strong in 2009... but Sony proved me wrong. "
    When I said few I was talking in comparison to third party games available for both systems, not the PS3s exclusive library. Also, you're saying prices for the 360 vs PS3 but I'm talking about if he already has the system. Myself, I own both systems but except for Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 I haven't touched my PS3. While they're really great games I don't think it would justify spending 300 bones on a system just to play exclusives. While if he owns neither of the systems, take whichever your friends play. Or if you don't have friends, take whichever you enjoy the exclusives more.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61abb009b221e
    deactivated-61abb009b221e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bitcloud said:
    " @TwoOneFive said:
    " @Mithlas said:
    i respectfully disagree. Uncharted 2 is a great reason to buy a ps3. Its not like this is the only thing he'll use it for folks. its just the one reason to say, you know what, I SHOULD own this thing. And then he can pick up some of the other GREAT games (fairly good?! come on now). "
    I believe we are summing it up to, no if he only he is getting U2 and never playing it again. "
    So let me put it this way: If it was included in a PS3 console package, and you are already leaning towards getting the PS3 anyways, then do get it. If you're the kind of guy that wants huge longevity in a single game, you won't get it from here. The single player is about ten hours, while the multiplayer, while robust and entertaining, will only keep you for so long. Uncharted 2's multiplayer won't keep you running as long as Modern Warfare 2, but that's my personal taste.
    meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#47  Edited By meptron

nope. but if you get a ps3 you should definitely check it out!

lulzyluze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lulzyluze

no, but Haze is 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.