Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Should I Play the First One...First?

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FunExplosions

I understand from the bombcast or something, that in Uncharted: Drake's Fortune something happens to Drake that may have changed his behavior (psychologically or physically. I'm not sure which). My question, for anyone who has played through Uncharted, is do you think I should play through the first game to make sure I get the most out of Uncharted 2's story? I'm the kind of person who really digs awesome stories in his games, so if... Uncharted is to Uncharted 2 : as Metal Gear Solid was to Metal Gear Solid 2... then I would probably wanna play Uncharted first.

And please no spoilers.

Ulong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Ulong

Play the first one first.
    Uncharted 2's main plot is relatively self contained from uncharted 1, but, there's a few little lines and jokes that won't make sense without playing the first one, and since a few of the characters are returning you won't full apriciate their relationships or the further growth of their relationships as the game progresses.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

It always helps, and you'll be way more attached to the characters because you've already been on one adventure. All of Drake's choices will feel heavier to you, but if you can't then you might as well get Uncharted 2. Get them both at the same time.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Andorski

At the very least, you will understand the relationship between Elaina and Nathan better.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FunExplosions
    @LiquidPrince: That's what I'm thinkin' of doin'. Planning on going out later(it's passed 12:00 AM here) and getting both of 'em. Was gonna get Brutal Legend instead of Uncharted 1, but I guess I can hold off for a little bit.
    gimmysumcowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By gimmysumcowbel
    @Ulong said:
    " Play the first one first. Uncharted 2's main plot is relatively self contained from uncharted 1, but, there's a few little lines and jokes that won't make sense without playing the first one, and since a few of the characters are returning you won't full apriciate their relationships or the further growth of their relationships as the game progresses. "
    this
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By animateria

Don't play the first one at all.

Not because it's a bad game at all actually. My cousin has been playing it, and the new Playstation patch made it pretty much unplayable due to freezing.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @animateria said:
    " Don't play the first one at all.  Not because it's a bad game at all actually. My cousin has been playing it, and the new Playstation patch made it pretty much unplayable due to freezing. "
    Um... What... I played through 13 chapters a couple of hours ago...
    Avatar image for carolinafan3515
    CarolinaFan3515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By CarolinaFan3515
    @FunExplosions said:
    " @LiquidPrince: That's what I'm thinkin' of doin'. Planning on going out later(it's passed 12:00 AM here) and getting both of 'em. Was gonna get Brutal Legend instead of Uncharted 1, but I guess I can hold off for a little bit. "
    From what I understand Toys-R-Us is having a buy 2 get 1 free sale on video games this week.  If that is indeed the case, you should head down there and buy Uncharted: Drake's Fortune ($30 Greatest Hits version) and Uncharted 2 then get Brutal Legend as your free game.  
    ps. Uncharted is definitely worth the short few hours it takes to play through the story.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By animateria
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @animateria said:
    " Don't play the first one at all.  Not because it's a bad game at all actually. My cousin has been playing it, and the new Playstation patch made it pretty much unplayable due to freezing. "
    Um... What... I played through 13 chapters a couple of hours ago... "
    Huh, my cousin has a PS3 Slim.... Maybe that effects it? But yeah, he has the game and it freezes on him now and then. Prompting him to quit.
    Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Valames

I don't know of anything in that game that "changes" Drake in any dramatic way. But it is still a great game and Elaina is a great character. You would be doing yourself a disservice by not checking out the origin on her and Drake's relationship.

ThisIsTheEnd89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ThisIsTheEnd89

No,Uncharted 2 is superior

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By evanbrau
    @animateria: I've heard there is a voluntary PS3 update that fixes this problem, I don't know though since I played through the game over Friday and Saturday and it never froze.

To the OP the first one is a brilliant game in its own right and you should be able to get through it in about 7-8 hours. The story definitely isn't amazing but the interactions between characters is excellent and it might be good to fully understand where everyone stands with each other going into the second game.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By handlas

no need IMO.   Other than the fact that you wont' be playing a really good game.

Story-wise, there probably won't be anything you are really gonna miss out on other than the character's relationships prior to Uncharted 2 but I'm pretty sure you will be able to finger out everyone's deal without playing the first one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.