Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted

Franchise »

Uncharted is a series of action-adventure games, combining third-person shooting with three-dimensional platforming. It follows the journeys of treasure hunter Nathan Drake.

Missing the point of uncharted.

• 72 results
    Irk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Irk

I know i'm going to get alot of stick for this thread however, i'm curious if anyone else is of the same opinion as me? I don't know why - i owned and completed uncharted 2 - and it just never grabbed me - alot of the time it felt like a QTE without the prompts. Can someone enlighten me as to the appeal of this series? Uncharted 3 is on the horizon and the internet's a buzz and i feel i'm missing out. I JUST DON'T GET IT!... Let the hating begin....

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Still_I_Cry

I agree with you. I barely even played through the first level of Uncharted 2 before I was bored.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By EuanDewar
    i'm curious if anyone else is of the same opinion as me?

Of course they do. Jeezy Chreezy.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By meptron

the point is to have fun

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Marz

it's fun.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By Icemael

It's an accessible, streamlined, cinematic experience with expensive graphics and a wisecracking "everyman" character. For a lot of people, that's pretty much the perfect video game.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
    deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do people feel the need to tell other people that "THEY JUST DON'T GET IT" and because they don't like it they can't fathom why anyone else would?

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Deeveeus

You don't get Uncharted, I don't get Oblivion...it's not a crime dude, no worries :P

I just liked the streamlined and fun feel, I enjoy shooters more than RPGs these days as I like my gaming hobby to be fast, frenetic and just fun. Heavily customization characters and what not is just to much work on for me, I just don't get that either. We all have our loves man, you just don't dig the set pieces like a lot of us do I think.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sarnecki

It's light hearted FUN globe trotting sexy action adventure. People love this series because it's Indiana Jones, the game.

If you don't love the Indiana Jones formula I have nothing to say to you.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Sackmanjones

You don't like a game most people like? You must burn....

punpun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By punpun

There's also the part where it plays beautifully. I'm not a fan of traversal, but the platforming and shooting are really well done.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#12  Edited By alistercat

@EuanDewar said:

Topic creators are always so unique that they have to ask "Am I the Only One!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"

On topic though, they spent like half an hour on the bombcast completely trashing a game I spent almost 700 hours with and is my favourite western RPG of all time, Oblivion, and you know what? That is totally OK as long as nobody berates anyone else for having different tates. When you start saying onions are wrong you've crossed the line.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By artgarcrunkle

People like boring streamlined cinematic experiences now, welcome to modern gaming :|

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By phantomzxro

I'm sure you will find people who agree with you and you don't have to like every great game. Everyone has their taste, i don't care for gears of war and was bored playing gears 2. I understand they are great games just not for me. So i don't think anyone here will reveal what you have been missing and all of a sudden you will love uncharted. You don't like uncharted and that is cool and normal. Just expect a good amount of people who may disagree with you.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Slaker117

I can appreciate a lot about the Uncharted games. The graphics, the animation, the cinematography, all of it looks great. The visual design and direction is superb and the technical feats are impressive. The gameplay is boring as hell. It's not bad in any way, just bland. The shooting mechanics are functional, but it doesn't have the impact of similar games. The traversal, again, works, but is just an extended sequence of predefined button taps. It's a good way to show off visuals and give the player a neat sense of scale, but it's not mechanically interesting or involved. The appeal largely comes from the idea of playing through an adventure movie, and the production values are certainly there, but the game part of the equation has always felt too limited for me to truly enjoy the ride.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thedj93

Try playing it on Hard and finding ways to make it fun. I've found that the pistols are the best guns for getting headshots from a far, and that naughty dog has put in more than one way to tackle most combat scenarios. Above all though, be aware that playing this game as if it were gears will never be as fun as actual gears is.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By obcdexter

I like treasure hunter stories, I like cheesy characters, I like adventure games and fluent third person action.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jack268

I like everything about it except for the god forsaken shooting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
    deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AlisterCat said:

@EuanDewar said:

Topic creators are always so unique that they have to ask "Am I the Only One!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"

On topic though, they spent like half an hour on the bombcast completely trashing a game I spent almost 700 hours with and is my favourite western RPG of all time, Oblivion, and you know what? That is totally OK as long as nobody berates anyone else for having different tates. When you start saying onions are wrong you've crossed the line.

Yeah, man: no one should fuck with other people's onions. 'Cause if you cut an onion open, everybody cries.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mpgeist

I get why it's popular. It has great graphics, fun characters and an interesting story. Unfortunately I can't get over how it controls. Many seem to like the controls. I dont have to agree but I don't need to get in anyone's face either.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I don't get it either.

I ain't making topics about it or seeking buddies to not get it with together.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By haggis

It's fun as hell. That's why people like it. I thought it was great. It's easily one of the best franchises this generation. It looks fantastic. It plays fantastic. If you don't like it, there's nothing wrong with that. Why does everyone feel like they need to have their opinions validated? Think what you want. Someone somewhere agrees with you; someone somewhere disagrees with you. Pretending like you don't understand why people like the game is silly. They have different tastes, that's why. I absolutely hate Halo. I know exactly why people like it. They like it for all the reasons I don't like it. They think I'm crazy. Vice versa. No big deal. I'm happy they found a game they love.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Jimbo

I thought 1 was ok. Got bored and stopped playing about halfway through 2. Think I'm just TPS'd out to be honest.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dingofighter
    @AlisterCat said:

When you start saying onions are wrong you've crossed the line.

You know what? 
    I don't like onions. 
    Therefore, they must be wrong.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By alistercat

@ViciousAnchovysaid:

@AlisterCat said:

@EuanDewar said:

Yeah, man: no one should fuck with other people's onions. 'Cause if you cut an onion open, everybody cries.

I cry pretty hard. Off topic again, I'm installing Oblivion again and there was a fat ad for the mobile version of oblivion and it was an old flip phone from like 2004. Hilarious. NES games looked better.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By alistercat

Weird double post. Anyway, I own none of the uncharted games. I hope to discover why people like them for myself.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#27  Edited By donutfever

Missing the point of putting something in General Discussion.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By RobertOrri

It's a modern Indiana Jones. What's not to like?

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Masha2932

I like uncharted but to me the series is nothing more than a rental. I enjoy the games for a weekend and return them. The multiplayer and trophies are not that engaging to justify keeping the game.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Icemael said:

It's an accessible, streamlined, cinematic experience with expensive graphics and a wisecracking "everyman" character. For a lot of people, that's pretty much the perfect video game.

Exactly this. It includes everything that make modern video games popular. It's the epitome of how many people feel games should be made.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@AlisterCat said:

@EuanDewar said:

700 hours? Fuck!

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By alistercat

@NekuSakuraba: I've been playing it for over 5 years. It's not like it's lacking in content.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@AlisterCat said:

@NekuSakuraba: I've been playing it for over 5 years. It's not like it's lacking in content.

Yeah, I know but still, 700 hours?! Must of really sucked you in.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By alistercat

@NekuSakurabasaid:

@AlisterCat said:

Yeah, I know but still, 700 hours?! Must of really sucked you in.

That is why I love it. The first game ever to make me feel like I was living in a world.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I agree.

Apart from the graphics I don't like anything about Uncharted. It's not a fun game to play, and the story and characters are completely forgettable.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Icemael said:
    Oh, you. 

^ what he said.
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nottle

I totally see how Uncharted could be boring to someone who goes into it with the mindset that scipted sequences are boring. The game has platforming that is leniant to the point that it almost feels like all you need to do is hold a direction and press x; you'll never over or under jump as long as you aren't a moron.

That said, I'm completly fine with a linear well told, well acted, rollercoaster ride that blends climbing and gunplay pretty well. It's a big budget game that plays it a bit safe, but you know that there is some heart there. Characters are written by smart people and thus sound like actual people, a rarity in games. Environments are well made, and detailed. All you need to do is suspend your disbelief when it comes to triggering scripted events. Drake may be archetypal, but like Indiana Jones or Luke skywalker, he is likable. You want him to succeed.

But you know, I get if thats not your thing. Sometimes the flawed but ambitious is more exciting than the polished gem that is a bit derivative (though, I'd argue Uncharted takes a lot of ideas and ads in some of its own flair which is why the gameplay is interesting to me)

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bybeach

There's no hate if you do not like something. There are video games and genre even of video game I do not like, or am indifferent to. It's no skin off my back. I'm looking forward to Uncharted 3, and you might be looking forward to Skyrim..all good in my book.

shermanatorek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By shermanatorek

@Irk: What is the point of any video game?

Also, "fuck off"-Gary Whitta

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By lord_canti

and i dont see the point in halo but i just accept i dont like it then move on

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RE_Player1

I think I'm missing the point of Super Mario World. I mean you run to the right, pick up power ups and ride on a dinosaur. Overrated.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NTM

The first time I went through Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, I didn't care too much about it, but I beat it on hard about a week or so later, and loved the game to death, making it one of my favorite games of all time, so I proceeded to beat it about ten times, and when the second was coming, I was somewhat excited, but sort of not because at the time, my brother had bought a computer powerful enough to finally play Crysis, so I don't know if that was what made me feel the way I did about Uncharted 2 or not, but right before putting Uncharted 2 in, I had just finished Crysis (which happens to be my favorite FPS of all time from there on out), and the credits for Crysis were going down just as I was jumping out of the train to save Drakes life at the beginning of Uncharted 2. As great of quality I think Uncharted 2 is, there were aspects I just didn't like as much as my experience with the first. For one, it's rare for me to disagree a lot with the majority of players, but I really thought the shooting in two was extremely boring because unlike in the original, I never really felt like I was making an impact as I gunned guys down. So, I'm hoping three will change that and make me love every aspect of it just as much as I do Drakes Fortune. Sorry for the long paragraph.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#43  Edited By DarthOrange

@Irk said:

No Caption Provided

I'm 80% sure this was meant to be flame bait. I could be wrong but this is your only post, and it could just be that you wanted to start some bickering (or maybe I'm just cynical). That said the answers you got are why i love giant bomb.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By lead_farmer

You don't like the game. It's all good. You don't have to bang your head trying to figure out why other people do.

Also, you aren't the only one that doesn't like Uncharted. Don't try to make it seem like your some outsider. Your cool meter might skyrocket.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DonPixel

You know I don't really get Toyota, ugly fat cars.. yet a lot of people do! .. perhaps I should write a blog about it.

Avatar image for ultimatepunchrod
    ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

@Still_I_Cry said:

I agree with you. I barely even played through the first level of Uncharted 2 before I was bored.

well to be fair to U2 the first level was supposed to be slow. if it's not your kind of game that's fine, but if you only played the first level, you're not getting the whole feel of the game. I'd recommend trying it again. Anyway, Uncharted is all about the cinematic experience. Saying that it's a QTE with no prompts sells it criminally short. As I'm sure everyone has heard at this point, it's like playing an action movie. i think they're really great and they look fantastic. not to mention that they convey real emotions and have great characters.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By landon

@ultimatepunchrod said:

@Still_I_Cry said:

well to be fair to U2 the first level was supposed to be slow. if it's not your kind of game that's fine, but if you only played the first level, you're not getting the whole feel of the game. I'd recommend trying it again. Anyway, Uncharted is all about the cinematic experience. Saying that it's a QTE with no prompts sells it criminally short. As I'm sure everyone has heard at this point, it's like playing an action movie. i think they're really great and they look fantastic. not to mention that they convey real emotions and have great characters.

My dad got bored of Uncharted 2 and stopped playing before he got out of the stealth part at the beginning, despite trying to sell him an Indiana Jones like experience. It takes about 40 minutes to an hour minutes before the game starts heating up, and I totally get why people would stop playing, especially if they are playing the 2nd one first.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SlasherMan

I played Uncharted 2 to completion, and even dabbled in the MP for a few hours (still do now and again).

It's a good game no doubt, but I still feel like maybe I missed something because it definitely didn't seem to be worthy of all that high praise and 10/10s it had been getting. I don't know, I wasn't taken aback like everyone else seemed to be at the time. I liked the music part of it the most. It has a really outstanding soundtrack.

sanchopanza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sanchopanza

To me it always seemed like Tomb Raider with a cock and balls, not that into hermaphrodites to be honest.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MikeGosot

I like the melee system of Uncharted. It's simple, but fun. I like the versatile controls but the shooting feels... Weird. Also, WALKING feels weird in this game. But there are too many scripted sequences. Also, i hate the characters. Nathan Drake looks and acts like the biggest douche alive. 

It's not a game for everyone. No game is for everyone. People have opinions, and... Guess what? These opinions are DIFERENT most of the time. So yeah, you're not the only one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.