Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted

Franchise »

Uncharted is a series of action-adventure games, combining third-person shooting with three-dimensional platforming. It follows the journeys of treasure hunter Nathan Drake.

The "Uncharted" Movie Gets a 'Limitless' Director/Writer

Avatar image for deactivated-629f1f5a477d3
    deactivated-629f1f5a477d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Goodbye David O' Russell, hello Neil Burger! Who, you say? Well, Burger most recently directed the film Limitless with Bradley Cooper and Robert De Niro, a film that Alex Navarro seemed to really enjoy, if only for the charms of Cooper. Burger didn't write that film, and his resume seems a little suspect, but hey, the guy seems to be a studio-player. While Russell is more of an indie type of guy only willing to do what he wants, Burger will get Fillion in and get the crowd-pleaser action/adventure film we all want. Hopefully. Or we'll just have a Tomb Raider on our hands.

Another thing this article points out is that there's still the issue of casting. Marky Mark is probably still out, but Burger could bring on Bradley Cooper to play the dashing Nathan Drake. If that's the case, how do you guys feel about a Bradley Cooper version of Drake?  Or does it absolutely have to be Nathan Fillion?

http://www.slashfilm.com/limitless-director-neil-burger-uncharted/

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

David O' Russell is good director but I really didn't like his idea of an Uncharted movie, Neil Burger though seems like a much better choice.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FilipHolm

Just the existence of this movie is incredibly unnecessary...

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By imsh_pl

I didn't really like Limitless, especially the ending disappointed me, but I'm happy to see they finally got rid of O'Russell.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I'd be okay with Bradley Cooper. It doesn't HAVE to be Fillion, although that would be the perfect choice.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@filipholm said:

I agree with you it isn't necessary but even if the film will terrible, it's not like we lose anything, Naughty Dog will still continue to make amazing games and I guess a crappy movie is better than no movie. If anything if someone will watch the film and decide to play the game because of it, it will only help Naughty Dog and convince Sony to make more Uncharted games.

ryno9881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By ryno9881

Bradley cooper would actually be okay for Nathan Drake but my dream is that Nolan North will play him.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
    @Flap_jackson said:
    does it absolutely have to be Nathan Fillion?
    Yes, yes it does.
    Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Mushir

WHY are they making a movie of a game that already incredibly cinematic? They won't be able to achieve set-pieces as awesome as in the game and I doubt the story will be much better. There is absolutely NO reason to make this movie. Makes no fucking sense.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One problem I just thought about with the Fillion casting is that since he stars in Castle, it's incredibly hard to find time in his schedule to film it, so they'd have to wait until they're done filming this season of the show around next April to film Uncharted. Since this film seems to be on the fast-track, I don't really seem them waiting that long.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cornbredx

Nathan Fillion is such a good fit for the role, but I'm ok if they go with someone else as long as that someone else knows how to act and is enjoyable.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By EvilTwin

It will never be Fillion.

Regal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Regal
    @Twilight said:
    WHY are they making a movie of a game that already incredibly cinematic? They won't be able to achieve set-pieces as awesome as in the game and I doubt the story will be much better. There is absolutely NO reason to make this movie. Makes no fucking sense.
    Yeah I agree, the idea should be to make films out of books and games to visualize all that which was just implied or described in the other mediums.   

The WoW movie, for example, makes sense because people may have an interest in seeing how this world would realistically work - and how these characters would actually fight - instead of just imagining it while your character stands still while 'casting' and crunching numbers.  

Uncharted isn't abstract in this way. One could almost imagine a 1 to 1 conversion of this game into a live action film, hence I am left to wonder what the point is.    
    Dead Space is another game that is very immersive and cinematic already, and a film adaption does feel as out of place there as well.  

Even that asteroid movie seems more appealing just because it doesn't already look like a movie.
    MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By MEATBALL

I could definitely see Bradley Cooper as Drake.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By vidiot
    Wow. The more I think about it, the more I'm actually pleased over the idea of Bradley Cooper as Drake. 

I'm just happy that Russell is out. I also hope he eventually gets to make his National Treasure movie, without an entirely different franchise name attached to it.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By napalm
    @filipholm said:
    Pretty much.
    DocPorpoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By DocPorpoise

i'd buy Cooper as Drake. He's a big enough star so the studio would be happy, he's played a likeable scoundrel type before (and well) and like Drake he has that ever present five o'clock shadow.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Meowshi

I'm not opposed to Bradley Cooper playing Nathan Drake actually.  

And I'm not even a huge fan of his or anything.  He just fits somehow. 

Still, Nathan Fillion would be my go-to-choice, just because he's fucking Mal.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By penguindust

Cooper has a lot of boyish charm with a touch of mischievousness.  I'd be on board for him in the role of Drake.   Now as for Neil Burger, well I've never seen any of his movies, so I can't say anything good or bad about him.  I just want to hear what his ideas for the character are.  If it is some completely other plot with the names of Drake, Elena and Sully tacked on, then he's gotta go, too. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PenguinDust said:
    Cooper has a lot of boyish charm with a touch of mischievousness.  I'd be on board for him in the role of Drake.   Now as for Neil Burger, well I've never seen any of his movies, so I can't say anything good or bad about him.  I just want to hear what his ideas for the character are.  If it is some completely other plot with the names of Drake, Elena and Sully tacked on, then he's gotta go, too. 
    This. But Burger apparently pitched an idea that the studio really liked, so maybe he's got a good idea.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.