Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Unreal Engine 4

Concept »

The fourth major iteration of the Unreal Engine from Epic Games. This engine is said to only be suitable for the 8th generation of video game consoles and PC hardware, though it is scalable to a variety of older platforms and mobile.

Anyone else learning this?

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

When this went free to use* I decided to start learning it. I always wanted to try develop games but never got around to actually learning programming. With UE4 however you don't need to learn proper programming. It has this visual programming language called blueprints where you can simply create nodes by right clicking on a graph and then connect the nodes by drawing lines between them. It is very intuitive considering you don't need any programming skills, but don't take it the wrong way.. There is a LOT to learn.

However, after several youtube tutorials and about a month of experimenting I feel pretty confident in actually doing stuff by myself. I realize blueprint programming will never be equal to actual C++ scripting, but it feels solid enough to get you started.

My first proper project was kind of a third-person shooter where I learned how to do simple procedural map generation with instanced meshes(super low performance cost) and some pretty cool AIs which use cover points. Currently I'm doing some sort of melee action side-scroller where I'm learning more about modifying animations (without external programs).

I am constantly amazed by how powerful this engine is and what it can do. I can't help but think of how massively this could affect indie games development.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I downloaded everything, fired it up and started learning the UI and then realized I couldn't create models within the engine (I think?). Can you confirm this? Do you need something like 3DSMax to make your own 3d stuff and then import it into UE4? That was my snag and then I lost interest. I have experience with 3d modeling programs from college but I don't want to drop any money on them just to play around with it.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I use Blender. It's free and works just fine. You could sort of create temporary models in UE by combining a bunch of boxes and cylinders and modifying their scale and rotation. But yeah, better off with an external program.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.