Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

What Remains of Edith Finch

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Apr 25, 2017

Edith Finch returns to her old familial home to discover the stories that have been kept from her. The stories of how generations of her family have died early of unrelated, but often kooky, causes.

My Thoughts on What Remains of Edith Finch

PressStart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

What Remains of Edith Finch

The last game I played that caused a plethora of emotion to swell inside me was 2010’s Heavy Rain. Quantic Dream creates a tale that hit home in several areas and kept me engaged from start to finish. Many games have provided great stories since then but nothing as engaging has come my way. Until that is, What Remains of Edith Finch. This tale is the reason why I absolutely love games in this day and age. We are beyond the moving from left to right, jumping on the heads of bad guys, and working our way to the end game. There are so many unique experiences to be had in games now and this is one of them.

Death is something that can really make things weird. Some of us can grieve with no problem while others, like myself, keep the pain inside and try to avoid discussing it at all costs. What Remains of Edith Finch made me feel very squeamish because death is at the center of the whole experience. Why does this family suffer from untimely death? This is a very uncomfortable game to play through but very poetic as well. What does someone think about at the moment of their demise? It remains a mystery ultimately but the game softens the tragedy of this family in a way that makes someone want to discuss death.

As you explore the fanciful Finch home you find yourself enjoying the cold lonely feel. The sense of exploration is stronger because there is a desire to know what this home was like when it was full of life. There are family members of all ages with their own personality, perspectives, and beliefs. While some of the story scenarios are very clear with cause of death, mystery clings to the home until the ending credits. We find that matters of morbidity sometimes seem very strange and enigmatic. A fitting feel for a game where lives a snuffed out at every journal entry.

Edith is a great character because she talks about death. She may not understand everything about it but she isn’t afraid to look death in the eyes. We feel her longing to know what happened to her family and wonder of her own young life. Life is a beautiful thing. But death is what defines all of us. Even if it comes well before it’s time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.