Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

I have played Wii U, and it is glorious.

• 70 results
    Avatar image for solarisdeschain
    solarisdeschain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By solarisdeschain

Both screens look great, and what you do on one affects the other in real time with absolutely no latency. The controller is very comfortable, it's sturdy without being heavy (which is saying something considering all that's going on with it), and the layout makes worrying about the size a non-issue (I have the smallest hands you'll find on an adult male and even I didn't have trouble). Also it turns out that people complaining about the sticks being above the buttons are indeed just whiny babies (that or they just hate Nintendo or they literally don't have the motor skills to play games the exact same way they have for 15 years just flipped, in either case gaming in general probably isn't for them), because it feels perfectly natural. The only negatives I noticed is that you can't wrap your whole hands around the makeshift handles on the back of the controller (which wasn't so bad as I quickly figured out a comfortable way to hold the controller where I had easy access to the button layout, analog stick, trigger buttons, and could comfortably hold the stylus), and the back trigger buttons aren't like the 360's and PS3's, which I would prefer.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Tell me in what ways it's better than a PC, that's my only point of interest.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Where did you get the chance to play one?

solarisdeschain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By solarisdeschain

Coincidentally comparing it to a PC is so far removed from my interests its not even considerable.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

Where did you get the chance to play one?

I'm guessing he played it at Gamestop. They've got demo stations people can play.
    solarisdeschain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By solarisdeschain

@Imsorrymsjackson: Best Buy.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ripelivejam

@AhmadMetallic said:

i think it's more a case of being different rather than being better

no <$400 console's gonna beat a decent gaming PC in power, for me consoles are for either accessibility, or for offering a unique experience, which Nintendo are usually damn fine at providing.

i'm not chomping at the bit to get this, but i'm still pretty interested, and if my finances were any different i'd strongly consider one in the near future.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

@solarisdeschain said:

@Imsorrymsjackson: Best Buy.

Cool, we haven't got them yet in the UK.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

Until Nintendo come out with some new and interesting IP screw those guys!! I don't care how unique there hardware is.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ripelivejam

@Ninja_Welshman said:

Until Nintendo come out with some new and interesting IP screw those guys!! I don't care how unique there hardware is.

see this is the kind of knee-jerk dismissive reaction i think people should avoid.

solarisdeschain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By solarisdeschain

@ripelivejam: Right? As if Super Mario Galaxy wasn't one of, if not the, most breathtakingly original games of the last generation.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RE_Player1

@solarisdeschain said:

@ripelivejam: Right? As if Super Mario Galaxy wasn't one of, if not the, most breathtakingly original games of the last generation.

Easy there cowboy. I love Mario Galaxy but you are giving it a little too much credit.

solarisdeschain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By solarisdeschain

@msavo: I'm standing by it. The sheer ingenuity and variety of the games are pretty much unparalleled, which its reception confirms.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By mike

@AhmadMetallic said:

We know you're a PC gamer dude...if the Wii U doesn't interest you, and it's obvious it certainly does not, please simply do not participate in discussion about it. If you have any questions, please respond to me via PM. Thank you.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#15  Edited By mike

@ripelivejam said:

@Ninja_Welshman said:

see this is the kind of knee-jerk dismissive reaction i think people should avoid.

Actually, I sort of agree with Ninja here. I know that I'm not exactly the demographic that is going to be buying a Wii U anyway, but all of the announced and expected Wii U titles coming up by Nintendo simply do not interest me. I really want to want a Wii U...but at this point, the exclusives that are coming out just seem like the same old stuff that Nintendo has been cranking out for years.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Justin258

@solarisdeschain said:

@msavo: I'm standing by it. The sheer ingenuity and variety of the games are pretty much unparalleled, which its reception confirms.

...but it's just Super Mario 64 again with better graphics and a bit of gravity play. Nothing wrong with that, but you're giving it a little more credit than it deserves.

Whatever. I don't want the Wii U, but I don't have any knocks against it.

@AhmadMetallic said:

Aw, c'mon now. You can't get Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Pikmin, and others on the PC apart from emulation. If you don't care for those games, fine - I don't - but I certainly respect them for a level of quality far above most things, and for that matter Nintendo consoles have historically offered some neat and interesting ideas that aren't necessarily just from them. Again, I don't often deem them worth my time and money, but at least they try to do something impressive that doesn't have to do with graphics and power.

solarisdeschain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By solarisdeschain

@believer258: I'm having a hard time thinking of a game since 2006 with more original ideas, sorry. There's Portal, Guns of the Patriots, some indie games, and Galaxy. It obviously wasn't as game-changing as Super Mario 64, but hence the qualifier "last generation."

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By BoOzak

@solarisdeschain said:

The core of the game isnt very original (jump around, collect coins, get star) there are just original ideas based around it, like all of Nintendos games really. Maby they should try and expand on some of those ideas and create a new franchise for the Wii U. (Because so far it's biggest games are Pikmin 3 & Bayonetta 2) I am a Nintendo fan btw I just wish they spent some of their creativity on an entirely new game.

I'll wait until the next E3 before I choose whether or not I want a Wii U. If Sony & Microsoft have nothing to show then I guess I have no reason to wait anymore.

Question What game did you play?

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BoOzak

@solarisdeschain: Scribblenauts?

EDIT: Sorry for spamming you with replys I didnt realise you were the OP ;p

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

I want to get one but not not right away. I'll probably end up doing it like I did with the Wii where I waited for 5 years played the games I was interested in put it back in the box and put it in my closet.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By freakin9

I've had a couple opportunities to try the Wii U but didn't have the interest to bother getting in line to play it. It's good you like it, though I didn't realize people worried about latency. Do you actually think it's some great revolution in how to play games? I don't really get the charm of the peripheral which is partially why I have no interest.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kindgineer

I'm sure the console itself will be a great addition to the industry, but the game-pad itself and it's possibilities just don't convince me to throw down the money for it. Nintendo's tried and true exclusive have become tired for me, including Galaxy (which was a great game, but I felt like I've played it before), which is why I spend most of my time on the PC or the Xbox 360. It would be silly of me to say that I hope Nintendo fails in this endeavor, but I really hope that they toughen up a bit and truly create some unique titles outside of their current that doesn't just happen to be a mini-game collection or psuedo-indie title.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By landon

@AhmadMetallic said:

It has Bayonetta 2.

Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Thoseposers

I got to play some rayman legends at a demo station at my nearby gamestop and it is indeed pretty awesome. Like others have said there's virtually no latency with the screen on the controller and it looks great, feels great too. I'm interested to see what developers do with it because of how similar it is to a ds in that having two screens like that really changes how it plays compared to a regular console.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ninja_Welshman
    @MB

@ripelivejam said:

@Ninja_Welshman said:

Actually, I sort of agree with Ninja here. I know that I'm not exactly the demographic that is going to be buying a Wii U anyway, but all of the announced and expected Wii U titles coming up by Nintendo simply do not interest me. I really want to want a Wii U...but at this point, the exclusives that are coming out just seem like the same old stuff that Nintendo has been cranking out for years.

Thank you MB for summing up my feelings more articulately. What I said was more in frustration than anger. We all know what they have created some truely brilliant games over the years. I just wish it was more than just Mario, Zelda etc everytime. One of the main reasons I like Sony is there willingness to try new things even if they fail.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Pikmin 3 and Project P-100 (aka The Wonderful 101) look like pretty awesome games, but until more games that interest me come out on the Wii U, I'll have to pass. Hopefully there will be alot more third part support for the Wii U than there was for the Wii, and hopefully it's more than just ports and we get some kick ass third party exclusive games.

Haven't used the controller yet though, hoping it feels comfortable. (doesnt look like it would be, but reports say it is)

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By coaxmetal

I was planning on not ever getting a wii u, but the Bayonetta 2 announcement gave me pause. I probably will still never get one though.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By xyzygy

That latency thing is really giving me hope about this console. It could be so great - kind of like a really powerful, really big DS (top screen = TV, bottom screen = controller) and could be awesome for maps and inventory management in RPGs, etc.

The only thing though, is that the 360 and PS3 triggers are completely different - which ones are they more similar to? It looks more like the PS3 ones...

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By crazyleaves

Tell me more about your tiny man hands.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#31  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It's good to hear that it handles so well, but whether or not the Wii U is of that high a quality depends on a lot more than whether the controller is comfortable to hold and stands up technically, these issues are small compared to the much larger potential problems of a lack of interesting games from the Wii U, a lack of online services, and low technical specifications in terms of the console itself. Heck, even when it just comes down to the controller, the issue is less about whether it technically works, and more about whether it can or will meaningfully add something to the games it's compatible with.

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Etnos

Out of the 3 next gen consoles, the only one I'm getting for sure is a Wii U. Mostly because is the only one bringing something different than the usual AAA multiplat, my PC is good enough to cover those.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ripelivejam

isn't there something about miyamoto working on a new ip?

and wasn't there that whole thing about him wanting to move on to smaller (i.e. more indie-style) games?

i have a feeling he still has some innovative ideas up his sleeve. he probably just felt held down by the whole nintendo brand as a whole, felt like he couldn't spread his wings as a result, so to speak.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mpgeist

Going to wait at least a year, just like I've done with every other console. I also don't really care about Nintendos latest gimmick. For me its always about the games.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By Claude

I want it. I want it bad. Give it to me. Sounds good.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By vaiz

@Claude said:

You're going to love your wii-u. You're going to love your goddamn wii-u.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MideonNViscera

@AhmadMetallic said:

It's $300 and lacking in elitism.

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AsperGamer

@Claude said:

Quick, get to a doctor! I think U have the fever!

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@AhmadMetallic said:

No Caption Provided

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DeF

@MB said:

@ripelivejam said:

@Ninja_Welshman said:

How so? The only game you can say that about is New Super Mario Bros U.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Claude
    @punkxblaze said:

@Claude said:

You're going to love your wii-u. You're going to love your goddamn wii-u.

No doubt, my body is ready.

@AsperGamer said:

@Claude said:

No need, U need not worry.
    Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I don't think people are giving Nintendo enough credit for this launch. I've been playing games for ages now, and in terms of launch titles this is probably the best I've seen since the Dreamcast maybe. Do you guys even remember how many games the PS3 and 360 launched with? The fact that this system is launching with a halfway decent selection of games is pretty damned nice.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CaLe

The next-gen consoles will come out and make it look like a toy... No thanks.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Claude
    @CaLe said:

Why U so NextGen? Consoles play video games. You can play them hard.
    CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CaLe

@Claude said:

@CaLe said:

If I'm going to invest in a console, I want it to be viable for a good number of years. A ton of games for PS3 and 360 never made it to the Wii (due to hardware limitations) and I expect the same thing to happen with the Wii-U when the next generation of consoles come out.

I guess it would be key to point out that I don't care about any Nintendo first party stuff.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Claude
    @CaLe said:

@Claude said:

@CaLe said:

If I'm going to invest in a console, I want it to be viable for a good number of years. A ton of games for PS3 and 360 never made it to the Wii (due to hardware limitations) and I expect the same thing to happen with the Wii-U when the next generation of consoles come out.

I guess it would be key to point out that I don't care about any Nintendo first party stuff.

A ton of individual games made it to the Wii hardware that you probably didn't play. And if you don't care about Nintendo first party stuff then you don't like video games very much.
    AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AsperGamer

@Claude said:

@AsperGamer said:

@Claude said:

Wii worry about U Claude. Wii think U are worth worrying about ........

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Claude
    @AsperGamer said:

@Claude said:

@AsperGamer said:

@Claude said:

Wii worry about U Claude. Wii think U are worth worrying about ........

Thank U.
    bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By bemusedchunk

As a generation who is so used to multitouch capacitive screens, single touch resistive ones seem antiquated.

However, those god damn DS's still sell like hotcakes...

Worcanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Worcanna

Sorry if this sounds a bit back-handed but a lot of people are saying "Oh, people are not giving nintendo credit" or "these knee-jerk reactions are kinda nasty". Some people honestly do not think nintendo's consoles are worth it right now. While the console market isn't a arms race and i can see the console having some cool ideas, i got burned with the Wii being...kinda a waste of money. :/ Sorry.

If the Wii U honestly shows me something interesting. I don't mean a zombie game nor a game with a new interface that we have seen before but something NEW, then i will look into throwing money. The problem for me is that i just don't really see nintendo ever doing anything with hardware and their 3rd party stuff might as well not be there. I look forward to cooking mama with dual screen or another bloody version of something claiming it has a awesome new inventory, thus is the best version. :/ *shrugs* Im jaded, sue me

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.