Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

I just bought a Wii U!!! Got any games you'd recommend?

Avatar image for deactivated-6082f30752bdc
    deactivated-6082f30752bdc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So the Wii U bundle I got came with Super Smash Bros. and Splatoon, so just wondering what else I should get?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FrostyRyan

Bayonetta 2 is a MUST BUY

Other than that, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Wonderful 101, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, and I hear Xenoblade Chronicles X is great.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

I think Mass Effect 3 got ported to that? Also, there's a special "Armored Edition" of Arkham City.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Mario Kart, Mario Maker.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who has put ~130 hours into Xenoblade (so far), if you like JRPGs with huge worlds and a lot of quest lines, it is worth picking up. If that style of game does not appeal to you, this one likely won't either. But if you do, oh boy you can lose a LOT of time to this game.

And also agreeing with FrostyRyan, Bayo 2 is a master class in character action. Probably the best game ever in the genre. Beautiful graphics, tight controls, satisfying ass beatings, with plenty of replayability.

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

ZombiU was decent if you haven't picked it up on any other platforms. Can probably find it cheap now as well.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who has put ~130 hours into Xenoblade (so far), if you like JRPGs with huge worlds and a lot of quest lines, it is worth picking up. If that style of game does not appeal to you, this one likely won't either. But if you do, oh boy you can lose a LOT of time to this game.

And also agreeing with FrostyRyan, Bayo 2 is a master class in character action. Probably the best game ever in the genre. Beautiful graphics, tight controls, satisfying ass beatings, with plenty of replayability.

Awwwwwww yeeeeaaaahhhhh

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Loading Video...

I just hope the thread title was an intentional reference.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My list of must have Wii U games excluding Splatoon and Smash :

• Bayonetta 2
    • Super Mario 3D World
    • Super Mario Maker
    • Mario Kart 8
    • Pikmin 3
    • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

I haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles X and Yoshi's Wooly World but I've heard good things about them.

I also have Captain Toad which I really like but I wouldn't call it a "must have". Hyrule Warriors is really "meh" to.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Play the demo of The Wonderful 101. You'll know if you want the full game or not after that.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Cav829

If you like character action games in the slightest, Bayonetta 2 is a must own.

Others:

• Super Mario Maker
    • Super Mario 3D World
    • Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
    • Wonderful 101
    • Pikmin 3
    • Mario Kart 8
    • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
    • Xenoblade Chronicles X - With the warning that it is a long ass game made for JRPG enthusiasts and has so many systems it may have been designed by an insane person.

Yoshi's Wooly World, Captain Toad, and the Wii U versions of Shovel Knight and Rayman Legends are all great buys as well.

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

If you're at all into classic Mario games, Super Mario Maker is a must have, Mario Kart is arguably the best that series has been so far (it's certainly the prettiest), and if you're in the mood for some puzzly gaming, Pushmo World is a forgotten gem on the Wii U, though Pushmo is also available on the 3DS.

randombullseye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've messed with a super dumb bad game called Tank Tank Tank quite a bit. I've only got some weird trial version, but it is Earth Defense Force kind of silly fun. Next time I'm in a Gamestop I"ll probably pick up a copy, you can put your face onto a giant robot monkey and then have your friends play as tanks trying to stop you.

peregrin38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of a dumb answer, but the Virtual Console has some gems. I really enjoyed having the chance to play Earthbound, and they've released some old gems like Golden Sun (nostalgia bias admitted here) and Metroid Prime.

Oh, and, of course, Super Mario Maker.

Avatar image for endlessobsidian
    EndlessObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: I was under the impression that the W101 demo was a horrible indication of the full version? I'm sure I remember many people saying so around the time of the demos release.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Pikmin 3 is so fucking good.

Putting another word in for Wonderful 101. Excellent game that got horribly underrated by critics.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mario Maker

Super Mario 3D World

Bayonetta 2

Wonderful 101

Mario Kart

Pikmin 3

ZombiU

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Fucking Wind Waker

Good call on buying a Wii U. Splatoon is incredible and I've enjoyed everything I bought on the Wii U. It's one of my favorite consoles of all time.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@endlessobsidian: might be true, i just speak from my own time playing the demo. It established how the combat works and some simple puzzle solving action.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By InstantRyan

Welcome to the Wii U Club!

Anything I would recommend has been stated already but I might suggest going digital for Bayonetta if you want to get it. With the announcement of Bayonetta being in Smash in the future, there's been a lot of chatter around the internet lately that physical copies have been harder/impossible to find (It's over $100 on Amazon atm). It depends on where you live or if you even want to go the physical copy route. Pikmin 3 can also be somewhat hard to find. Also, Nintendo sells some refurbished items on their site (Super Mario 3D World is like $30)

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Bayonetta 2, Mario Maker, and Mario 3D World come to mind immediately. Xenoblade seems good if you like JRPGs. Oh! And how could I forget? The Wii U version of Watch_Dogs is clearly the one to get. They took an extra 6 months to make it!

jpon87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone here has nailed the big games, but to reiterate my favorites to further convince you:

Bayonetta 2

Splatoon

Mario Kart 8

Wind Waker HD

Xenoblade Chronicles X is amazing if you're into open world RPGs

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Super Smash Bros if you enjoy a little fighting and some Nintendo history!

Yoshi's Woolly World is underrated too!

Although I love the older Mario games, Super Mario Maker didn't really grab me... It felt more like an exercise in creativity than a game, but I also haven't given it a shot since they updated the course navigation

There's also the massive back library of Wii, and the decent Virtual Console selection on the eShop. If you want even more of a selection of virtual console games you can also go into Wii mode and download them from there! If you do use Wii mode you would need a Wiimote. I would also suggest if you were going to play VC games on Wii mode getting a classic controller to hook up to it. Either way enjoy it! Absolutely love my WiiU!

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mario Maker is a must buy. One of the best games ever made, pretty much, so get it now. Other than that, there's

• Nintendoland (some of the most fun couch multiplayer I've had in a while)
    • Super Mario 3D World (also great couch co-op fun and come on, it's a main series Mario game, were you going to not buy it?)
    • Pushmo World (one of my favorite puzzle games)
    • Toad's Treasure Tracker (overpriced, but one of the most charming and relaxing games you can play)
    • Pikmin 3
    • Wonderful 101

There are some non-exclusives on the eshop that are great as well, although most people would probably rather buy them on Steam. The Fall and Human Resource Machine are two that come to mind.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think everything but Mario Tennis is pretty enjoyable.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Mario Maker, no questions. If you are into Mario Kart then that as well. It's great to play with someone else, and the only support is surprisingly great.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By amafi

Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Pikmen 3, Mario Maker, Super Mario World 3D, Captain Toad, Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros are all fantastic games.

Just started playing xenoblade chronicles X and it seems good so far, looks great outside of character design. Those faces are something else. Ugh.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bayo 2, DKC Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, Wind Waker, Captain Toad, and W101.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By Tom_omb

Wind Waker HD is worth replaying. Mario Kart 8 is the best it has ever been, unless you want Battle mode. I may be in the minority on this, but I liked Super Mario 3D World better then either of the Galaxy games. Also the Galaxy games are on virtual console (Galaxy 1 may be a coming soon, if it's not out yet) along with Earthbound, The Metroid Prime Trilogy and a bunch of other classics.

Also... Miiverse is the best social network.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Everyone else in here has pretty much said all the big games. Some other games I had fun with that you could try to get on the cheap are Lego City Undercover, Game & Wario, Runbow, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Wii Sports Club, New Super Mario Bros. U/New Super Luigi U, and Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games. There also a ton of great indie games on there as well.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By amafi

@jjor64 said:

Everyone else in here has pretty much said all the big games. Some other games I had fun with that you could try to get on the cheap are Lego City Undercover, Game & Wario, Runbow, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Wii Sports Club, New Super Mario Bros. U/New Super Luigi U, and Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games. There also a ton of great indie games on there as well.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about lego city undercover. That one was actually a lot of fun.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Rebel_Scum

@cav829 said:

Yoshi's Wooly World, Captain Toad, and the Wii U versions of Shovel Knight and Rayman Legends are all great buys as well.

I went into EB Games (Gamestop in US) the other day and Shovel Knight was going for $50 AUD. Fucking more than double the price when purchasing digitally on Vita or 3DS. What a joke.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also get The Minish Cap if you're looking for one of the best GBA games ever to play on the Virtual Console.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolute must haves based on the games i own -

Zombiu - one of the best experiences I've had this entire generation. People say Mario Maker makes the gamepad make sense? Dude, Zombiu did that at launch.

Super Mario Maker - No doubt you've heard all the praise this games received. All completely justified, games great.

Super Mario 3D World - Better than 3D Land, which takes some doing. More inventiveness and ideas in a single stage than most games manage in their entirety.

Alot of other stuff on WiiU is AWSOME, but those three are my favorites.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By vasta_narada
    • Xenoblade Chronicles X
    • Yoshi's Woolly World
    • Splatoon
    • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
    • Super Mario 3D World
    • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
    • Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
    • Super Smash Bros for Wii U
    • The Wonderful 101

List presented in order because Xenoblade is great. (Super Mario Maker, Bayonetta 2, and others are all fantastic but I've not played them yet)

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't forget you can play Wii games on it too, so you'll have the full catalogue for that too.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Don't forget you can play Wii games on it too, so you'll have the full catalogue for that too.

This was huge for me, since I hadn't owned a Nintendo console since the Gamecube (which still works like a charm!). Having access to both Super Mario Galaxy titles, all three Metroid Prime games, and an assortment of exciting smaller games really upped the value of having a Wii U.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.