Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Miiverse is shutting down

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Tom_omb

End of Miiverse Service Announcement Hi everyone, it’s Tom at Nintendo. I have an important announcement: On November 7th, 10:00 pm Pacific Time, we will permanently close the Miiverse service.

I know I'm in the minority, but Miiverse it's no exaggeration when I say Miiverse is my favorite social network. It may be a silly place full of children's drawings to some, but for me it was the reason I picked up my Wii U virtually every day since I got my Wii U back in October of 2013:

No Caption Provided

After putting in over 1000 hours on Wii U's miiverse (not counting time spent on the 3DS, web application, or various drawing apps) the Nintendo Switch can't help but be a lesser console in my eyes without a stylus and Miiverse. I have made many like minded, friends and spent many hours doodling with them. I can only hope we can find another place to draw together.

Here's an example of just one, of many, comment section we filled up with 100 drawings:

No Caption Provided

Archived by my friend over at Deviant Art

Now I'd like to share some drawings specifically inspired by Giant Bomb:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Please feel free to share any of your own drawings or memories of Miiverse!

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By RetroMetal

Doesn't look like Jeff at all.

Almost offensive.

That being said those others are awesome.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retrometal

I was sort of inspired by the rat faced portrait of Jeff that was in the old studio, so I get why it could be interpreted that way. Thanks for liking the others!

Forget the edit, it doesn't seem to be working. More drawings here:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

All of those latter-day Wii U games that gave out Miiverse stamps as unlockables are going to age extra well now.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Nintendo's online strategy is baffling. It seems like they just have no long-term plan, even now.

Why go to the effort of creating Miiverse, but only sustain it for the lifetime of the Wii U and some of the lifetime of the 3DS? Why make the Virtual Console but no way to easily transfer those purchases to new generations of consoles/handhelds? Why make the Virtual Console but then abandon it completely on the Switch?

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sucks. I saw some amazing work on the Miiverse and also just a lot of positive, friendly interactions. It was always fun to wander around the plaza in Splatoon and see that stuff. Nintendo trying to do anything with the internet is usually the easiest target for derision in the world, but there was definitely something to like about the Miiverse. I also kind of liked that the drawing tools were very limited. I think it encouraged people to engage with it more, since it didn't matter so much if their drawing was a little rough. Plus, when you saw a really insane piece of art with shading that had been done painstakingly one pixel at a time to fake the appearance of a gradient or something, it just made it that much more impressive.

Nice work, duder!

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo's online strategy is baffling. It seems like they just have no long-term plan, even now.

Why go to the effort of creating Miiverse, but only sustain it for the lifetime of the Wii U and some of the lifetime of the 3DS? Why make the Virtual Console but no way to easily transfer those purchases to new generations of consoles/handhelds? Why make the Virtual Console but then abandon it completely on the Switch?

The whole point of Virtual console is to sell the games again so it wouldnt make any sense to be able to transfer over those games. Lets hope VC on Switch is delayed as they say and not abandoned.....

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tom_omb

@bisonhero: Yes! Maybe my dream of the NX, a powerful handheld that could play every Nintendo game I ever bought with duel screens and a STYLUS, was too conservative to expect from a company that likes to surprise and innovate with hardware.

I always thought Miiverse would be a hit if it was on a more popular machine from day one. I don't think most 3DS users even noticed it when they added it. Also if Nintendo eased up on moderation. I once got a post deleted for saying the word "beer."

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Tom_omb

@damodar: Thanks! I always enjoyed drawing in these low resolution black and white squares. Often if I was using Art Academy or any of the other drawing apps I'd feel how they all fall short of Photoshop. There's an intimacy when you are touching up a drawing down to the pixel. It forces you to really think about how best to work in the high contrast environment when you can only use black and white:

No Caption Provided

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumping this in light of recent Bombast discussion about miiverse moderation. Sure, drawings of dicks are one thing, but Nintendo went out of their way to make that place extra child friendly. I once got a post deleted for writing the word "beer".

Near nude Samuses and the like were rampent in that place. Not that I'm complaining... just painting a picture of the culture of miiverse and what mods took issue with.

Also, no tollerance for linking to outside networks. I had posts deleted for linking people to my deviant art page. But it was pretty easy to get around this rule by telling people google a username.

>.< bumped the wrong thread a minute ago because I'm an idiot...

Qrowdyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Am i in the minority that actually loved Miiverse? I thought it built a sense of community around the Wii U in a perfectly charming, perfectly Nintendo kind of way. Even if you didn't interact with it at all, it was nice to see little drawings pop up about the game you were playing before you launched it. Now Nintendo are getting rid of it, for what reason? I know that GBeast said that Splatoon 2 drawings are good enough for them, but how many months till the player base drys up and people move on to new stuff?

Novis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I loved the concept of the Miiverse and thought, with some further tooling, it would have been amazing on the Switch. Maybe it's something they'll think about later down the line (tho I can see it being a battery hog.)

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tom_omb said:

Bumping this in light of recent Bombast discussion about miiverse moderation. Sure, drawings of dicks are one thing, but Nintendo went out of their way to make that place extra child friendly. I once got a post deleted for writing the word "beer".

Here's that post, by the way.

No Caption Provided

With people out there trying to archive Miiverse in it's entirety, the next logical step is to make it functional outside of Nintendo's hardware, right? Or someone should develop an independent application that is bascally "Twitter, but you can draw into it."

I'm just going to keep sharing drawings here, I have thousands of them from my own personal archive.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The Miiverse is genuinely the best thing to come out of the WiiU from Nintendo and it's a shame they don't value it the way it should. Should've carried forward with the Switch. Then again, Nintendo wouldn't be Nintendo without some head-scratching decisions.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose this wasn't the place for it, but this could have been a great place for any Miiverse fans out there to share their own memories and drawings from Miiverse. Going to bump this one more time.

No Caption Provided

MissAshley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MissAshley

Only a few more days until it all goes away. Here's a few of mine:

My first Miiverse post.
    My first Miiverse post.
    A response to a Dan level.
    A response to a Dan level.
    Fun with squids.
    Fun with squids.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LeStephan

Man this makes me wish I'd used it more. Too late now though. Most of the creations in this thread are lovely!

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lestephan: Well, you do have a little under 48 hours, but I understand. It would be tragic if you fell in love with it now.

Thanks for the love. I just posted my farewell to Miiverse:

No Caption Provided

...course, I'll be drawing to the end.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, this is closing tomorrow? Extra Life stream from GB West where it’s just Miiverse, thanks!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.