Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Nintendo Unveils the Wii U, Leaves the World In a State of Bewilderment

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#251  Edited By laserbolts
    I don't know much about this but that controller is probably the stupidest looking thing I have ever seen in my life.
    liako21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#252  Edited By liako21

im very excited about the wii u. i think the wii u controller is a great idea. imagine playing an rpg or adventure game and accessing the map and inventory through the controller and not having to use on screen menus. 

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#253  Edited By Cubical

The   d-pad was a fad in the 80's  everybody was using fucking switch Joysticks and keypads.

Terranova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254  Edited By Terranova
    @baldgye said:

Worst annoucment of a new console ever?

yes for the console  .. but a decent announcment of a new controller even if i dont buy into it yet.
    sofakingcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#255  Edited By sofakingcool

How the fuck are you supposed to play video games with that controller?

tomtheeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256  Edited By tomtheeditor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JElywbkSbY

Wii-UUUUUUUUUU

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#257  Edited By Branthog

@Nedemis said:

So now you people are complaining about "fads"? Seriously, are you EVER willing to accept anything other then the standard controller. First people whined about how gimmicky the Wiimote was but now Sony has a rip off and MS introduced another gimmick control device. Now you're all complaining because the controller incorporates a tablet design? Thank goodness I'm a multiplat gamer that can actually see HUGE potential in this and not some ignorant, stupid fanboy who finds any reason to jab at another company for creating something different. Do you find DS and 3DS owners bashing the Vita for the back panel touch plates? Or how about marking the Vita as another glorified tablet handheld? Grow up.

I own three of every console (except the Wii, which I have two of) and am a heavy live long PC gamer, but I have no interest in this new console. I'll buy it and probably never use it the same way I bought the Wii and never used either of them. And, for the record, I don't like the Vita, either. I mean, I like the hardware and the potential, but doubt I'll find that they back it up with enough quality software to interest me. I also hate Kinect and Move. I'm not really sure why I have to like or hate everything based on what I own? A gimmick is a gimmick. A failure is a failure. A WTF is a WTF.

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By Cubical

FACT  Wii-u will become the ultimate game insult  replacing fuck you and NOOB by 2012.  12 year old punk kids and teens playing halo and cal of duty will be screaming it into headsets everywhere.

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#259  Edited By Nomin

I'd like to think that the classic controller for the Wii is compatible with WiiU. Or it can be tethered to the WiiU controller so you can leave it by your side as you play a game. 

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By HerbieBug
    @Nedemis said:
    @Druminator said:
    Worse gimmick than the Wii...
    and the PSmove and Kinect.....  oh wait......
    All three of those things are gimmicks.  All are short term stabs at a control interface that it appears the core gaming audience has limited or zero interest in.  The reason why is that motion controls are inferior to simple button and analog stick control in just about every way.  Ultimately the best, most intuitive control interface will win out.  Motion controls will never be that.  Not until I can make precision finger twiddles that surpass button control sensitivity. 
    Auswin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By Auswin
    @Nedemis said:
    So now you people are complaining about "fads"?  [...]  Grow up.
    Since I was the only one who used the term 'fad' I'll assume your rant was directed at me.... yes, 3D is a FAD, yes tablet gaming is a FAD. Look no further than the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie selling more tickets on 2D screens in less locations than 3D and how RealD's stock is tumbling; it tells you the marketplace is already growing weary of 3D.    

Should I 'grow up'? Maybe, but at least I address people directly than hiding behind the ethereal 'you people'.
    Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262  Edited By Cubical
    @Nomin

The classic controler will work.

If the game is programmed to use it and so will the SNES controler remake.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By Max_Cherry

What the fuck???

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#264  Edited By Branthog

@pickassoreborn said:

They're appealing to both the hardcore and causal gamer with this. They're effing geniuses.

I can't find any footage of that video of the bird flying through that Japanese-style blossom garden environment. If that's what the WiiU is capable of in terms of graphical horsepower... ohmy.

It's capable of about what your other consoles are capable. Why would a hard core gamer choose to buy non Nintendo-exclusive titles on the "Wii U" when they could just get it for one of the consoles with a real controller?

This product will have to survive on exclusives. Not "we have what the other consoles have!". However, a lot of people will also be like me and want not just exclusive Nintendo titles, but *new* exclusive titles. Meaning, I'm kind of tired of Zelda and Mario and I don't care about Pokemon. I mean, I know that's 90% of what they keep rolling out (they even had to stress during the press conference that one of the games was *not* just a remake of an existing game), but they really need to do stuff that is uniquely nintendo and only available on that platform, but NEW.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265  Edited By FritzDude

You are the controller?

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By lockwoodx
    LoggerRythm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267  Edited By LoggerRythm

NNC people. NNC!

koopi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268  Edited By koopi

This is great! I hope there won't be a new PlayStation or Xbox in a while, so the Wii U is gonna last a long time.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269  Edited By Example1013

I can't believe I almost made it 14 pages without seeing "Transfarring".

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By jmfinamore

Check this one out: more like the PiiU!  

Had that baby in the hopper all day. Anyway, it's a neat concept. I think Nintendo's has got the right idea on this one, in theory. The line between "electronic device" and "console" is getting blurry. All of the consoles out now offer options beyond just playing games with things like Hulu, Netflix and Youtube. Likewise, you're seeing devices like the iPad/phone enter strongly into the game market. Nintendo seems like it's realizing these trends and it trying to develop a device that can be both: a hardcore game console and a stand-alone device for the living room. Give the controller a good browser and apps, and you have a very modern device. Now, is Nintendo going to do this? I doubt it. But it should get other companies thinking about how they define console and what they want their devices to do. 

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By Nomin

Wii-U also opens even more mayhem in the form of its certified downloadable titles. I wonder If Nintendo has some cross platform compatibility planned between it and the 3DS, like using it as another controller.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#272  Edited By chilibean_3

/dismissive wanking motion

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#273  Edited By natetodamax

Wii U is a TERRIBLE name. I think of a cartoonish emergency siren when I hear it. "Wee ooo wee ooo wee ooo"

Auswin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274  Edited By Auswin

Here are things I would like to know: 

- Does the controller have a headphone jack? If I'm playing without the TV this would be paramount. 
    - Can the controller support apps like Netflix? That would be great if the TV and Netflix can run at the same time. 
    - Will it be able to play Blu Rays or DVDs?  
    - With that screen what will battery life be like? 

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275  Edited By HerbieBug

i'm thinking about switching back to PC for good.

PaleEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276  Edited By PaleEye

This looks like a joke...

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#277  Edited By golguin

@Nethlem said:

@golguin: The problem is that they didn't actually show off the console...

Friend of mine and me actually thought nintendo's new console is gonna be a tablet when they first showed it off. I don't know why but they are too busy making it sound all "marketing like" that people don't even get the basic concept of it.

So i blame the presentation for people getting all confused/angry about it.

You mean the nondescript white box that was shown under the TV during the video presentation? It wasn't shown off because it looks like fat Wii. The focus was the controller. I don't see how nintendo could have been any more clear when they kept saying it was the controller.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#278  Edited By Jost1

@137 said:

yeah this is going to be amazing.

yep!

Kasswara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279  Edited By Kasswara

Doesn't interest me in the least, unfortunately.

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280  Edited By Jiggah
    @golguin:  Simple.  Show the controller next to the console first?
    Terranova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281  Edited By Terranova
    @Auswin said:
    Here are things I would like to know:  - Does the controller have a headphone jack? If I'm playing without the TV this would be paramount. - Can the controller support apps like Netflix? That would be great if the TV and Netflix can run at the same time. - Will it be able to play Blu Rays or DVDs?  - With that screen what will battery life be like? 
    it will not play blu-rays or DVD's it uses it's own high density format 
    viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282  Edited By viking

Hmm... I've for quite some time felt that I was robbed by Nintendo. They've been showing happy people using "cool" hardware with promises of "cool future software". The sucker that I am, I dedided to buy loads of expensive Wiimotes, Nunchucks, Wiipluses, a Zapper and even a bloody Balance Board.... and I was waiting for the cool software.... which never came.

BUT NOW... Wii U with the possibility to use the old hardware? This could mean that I wasn't -THAT- robbed! Wiiiiiiie! New cool games could be coming!!

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283  Edited By fishinwithguns

oh jeez...well while I'm not the biggest Wii fan, I'm certainly not one of its detractors.  This all looks bewildering to me, but I think Nintendo know what they're doing, they typically do...unless this turns into the new Virtual Boy somehow.

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284  Edited By Nomin

All I know is that the Mario clock app is definitely in the pipes for the eventual Wii-U-E-Shop release. Wii-U does kinda sound like a place you go to learn how to use your Wii. 

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285  Edited By Shaka999
    @springtoast said:

Wasn't expecting to be this disappointed.

• They had the Wii U "console" in the videos, why didn't they show it properly?
    • The first ever images were of Wii-looking games, which confused a lot of people
    • All the proper core games shown were multi-platform titles
    • No actual live gameplay demo
    • No tech talk, no tech specs
    • Terrible name

Yeah, the name is terrible and I'm not sure why they didn't bother showing the console off, but all of the other points you can't really blame them for because the console is more than a year off so there's probably a lot of details they need to nail down. There were gameplay demos after the show, so if that's really bothering you then go watch on other sites. 

And am I crazy, or has Nintendo revealed tech specs in the past? I could've sworn they never actually released the tech specs of the original Wii, hence why everyone joked about duct taped gamecubes.
    Terranova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286  Edited By Terranova
    @golguin said:

@Nethlem said:

@golguin: The problem is that they didn't actually show off the console...

Friend of mine and me actually thought nintendo's new console is gonna be a tablet when they first showed it off. I don't know why but they are too busy making it sound all "marketing like" that people don't even get the basic concept of it.

So i blame the presentation for people getting all confused/angry about it.

You mean the nondescript white box that was shown under the TV during the video presentation? It wasn't shown off because it looks like fat Wii. The focus was the controller. I don't see how nintendo could have been any more clear when they kept saying it was the controller.

but that was mixed in with comments about the actual system by devlopers even reggie said it once  it was never shown other than the white box under the TV which looked like a wii from a distance so yeah the confusion is justified.  
    Auswin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287  Edited By Auswin
    @Terranova said:
    @Auswin said:
    Here are things I would like to know:  - Does the controller have a headphone jack? If I'm playing without the TV this would be paramount. - Can the controller support apps like Netflix? That would be great if the TV and Netflix can run at the same time. - Will it be able to play Blu Rays or DVDs?  - With that screen what will battery life be like? 
    it will not play blu-rays or DVD's it uses it's own high density format 
    That's kind of weak. I get not putting a Blu Ray player in it, but surely it would have cost next to nothing to make it read DVDs at this point. Big time potential for families there if kids can watch a movie while the TV has something else on.
    GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288  Edited By GoofyGoober

Meh.

Avatar image for burjeffton--defunct
    burjeffton--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

I'm waiting till we get the Wii U Me Them.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#290  Edited By citizenkane

I'll watch the entire conference later, but so far the controller looks very unappealing.

Saga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#291  Edited By Saga

It's good to see that nintendo is finally catching up to the Xbox 360 and PS3

WrathOfBanja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292  Edited By WrathOfBanja

WiiUWiiUWiiUWiiUWiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#293  Edited By gbrading

Too right we're in a State of Bewilderment. I still haven't caught up to anything that's happening.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294  Edited By phish09

I don't get why everyone is so hung up on the name.  Sure it's stupid, but so is Vita, and XBOX and Playstation and Dreamcast and Steam and 3DS...who cares what the name is?  It looks like this platform might actually deliver in a way that Nintendo hasn't since the SNES days.  It looks like a powerhouse and and I saw almost no waggle.  Crazy third party support too.  I can't believe they got EA back on board finally and actual good Ubisoft games for a Nintendo console?  I thought those days were way behind us.  

I don't know if I'm willing to start buying all my multiplatform games on a Nintendo console again, but if they can utilize this tech properly, it seems like it might be the only smart choice.

Terranova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295  Edited By Terranova
    @Saga said:
    It's good to see that nintendo is finally catching up to the Xbox 360 and PS3
    we don't know that yet, they haven't shown or stated the specs for the system all that is known is in regards to the controller. 
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296  Edited By ryanwho

I think it looks great. I think the naysayers are used to being completely wrong. I think anyone who's ever held an iPad or something like that knows how quickly people will be able to acclimate to the controller's shape. If you don't like the shape, I guess just wait a year and Sony will copy the idea and create the same interplay between the PS3/4 and the PSV. But using the PSV as a controller looks less comfortable. I have man hands so that streamlining shit just gives me a cramp cus everything's too close together. Meanwhile, the WiiU controller isn't designed to fit into a pocket and that frees them up to make it easier to use.

ConstantRa1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297  Edited By ConstantRa1n

I need bigger hands!

jamesisaacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#298  Edited By jamesisaacs

I'm sold on the WiiU thoroughly to be honest. 

/thumbs up

Terranova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299  Edited By Terranova
    @ryanwho said:
    I think it looks great. I think the naysayers are used to being completely wrong. I think anyone who's ever held an iPad or something like that knows how quickly people will be able to acclimate to the controller's shape. If you don't like the shape, I guess just wait a year and Sony will copy the idea and create the same interplay between the PS3/4 and the PSV.
    you can already do that with PS3 / PSP what do you think remote play is.. it's nothing new 
    golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#300  Edited By golguin

@Jiggah said:

@golguin: Simple. Show the controller next to the console first?

I doubt the console design is final, which would explain why they didn't showcase it. Why show the console when the main point is the controller? It's a foregone conclusion that any console is going to be rectangular.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.