Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Nintendo Unveils the Wii U, Leaves the World In a State of Bewilderment

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

#351  Edited By ManMadeGod
    @MindOST: Could not have said it better. For months people get all hyped up for E3 only to come onto websites just like this to shit on everything they see. I'll never get.
    zus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#352  Edited By zus

You know, I thought the Vita would be the worst name for a new product introduced this year. But Wii U just blows everything out of the water.

TheMathlete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#353  Edited By TheMathlete

@mrfluke: oh man, I have watched that every time you post it. Jesus lmao. I've never seen Kung Pao though.

TheMathlete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#354  Edited By TheMathlete

@soralapio said:

@DarthB said:

Fuck. I know I'll probably buy this thing about 6 months to a year after launch, then proceed to never use it if it's supported like the wii is. Here's hoping it has great software support!

The controller has the same buttons as the PS3 and 360. The console should be at least as powerful, if not more so. This time there's no reason not to port and as companies love money, they surely will. Add to this Nintendo's amazing first party support and it's hard to not get a bit excited about the Wii U (even if the name kind of sucks).

I don't know. I think it all depends on what Microsoft and Sony do in the coming year (or what comes out of next year's E3). If they unveil new consoles, Nintendo is playing the catchup game all over again; at least in my eyes, they will be.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#355  Edited By saddlebrown

I wonder how it handles transferring a game to the controller when the TV is being used for something else when that particular game needs to use both the controller and the TV in tandem. Also, what do you guys think the chances are that to go into your iron sights in FPSs on Wii U, you have to hold the controller up to the screen? Inefficient, but kind of awesome.

But duders, I'm super impressed with this system.

evilmax17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#356  Edited By evilmax17

The controller looks like something that Ben Heck would make. There are a bunch of home-made portable GameCubes that look just like it.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    bullishsquinty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#357  Edited By bullishsquinty

Oh Nintendo, you certainly know how to confuse us gaming geeks, but we'll be watching.

asmo29a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358  Edited By asmo29a

I bought every Nintendo home console since the SNES on release day, but this.. right now, it just looks like the Wii all over again. More gimmicky stuff that's no use to play actual games with. The 3rd party support will probably be great for a year or two because devs might just port their PS3 and XBox games and throw in some token features for the controller (though why you wouldn't rather play them on of those two systems with a decent controller is beyond me), but that will be done with once MS and Sony come out with their new hardware and the WIIU's tech is outdated again.

I got burned with the Wii, and, at first glance at least, this seems like the same thing. Rather disappointing.

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#359  Edited By fini_fly

My first guess is that screen on the controller will be used for inventory management and maps.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361  Edited By mnzy
    @MindOST said:
    If there's one thing gamers love to do, it's bitch, moan, and cut their collective wrists over every little thing.   E3 makes me love games, but it makes me HATE gamers with a passion.
    Pretty much this. If you look at this E3 with a little distance it's pretty amazing what has been shown overall.
    kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362  Edited By kennybaese

Those controllers look like they could be expensive as fudge. If the things are more than 60 bucks everyone will laugh in their face and never buy one.

Plus, they seem to be using Wii Remote Plus on a bunch of that stuff, so I guess a bunch of people already have some of the hardware they'll need to play games on the thing, so that'll be how they justify the price of the controller.

I wonder how much power the controller itself has, or if everything is streamed from the box? It has the potential to be cool, but the cost will probably keep me from buying one.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#363  Edited By KaneRobot

Gamecube - fool me once, shame on you. 

Wii - fool me twice, shame on me.

I'm on the third one here...shame on...uh, everyone?

drstrawberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#364  Edited By drstrawberry

so... they are aping the Vita then?
    EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#365  Edited By EightBitShik

I'm done with Nintendo this is ridiculous.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#366  Edited By I_smell

Couldn't you do all of these features with a Wii and a 3DS?

Xaviersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#367  Edited By Xaviersx

Nintendo, not to be counted out, let's just hope they stay focused on their desire to bring back the core players as they've seen the buying habits of the casual. As for the device, I initially just thought oversized PSP, but the smart connectivity to the boxset/tv makes for a compelling difference. The way tablet/laptop tech is evolving, why wouldn't the next level of console not be a powerful portable with a base station for stationary sessions?

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368  Edited By Cybexx

I'm still a bit iffy on WiiU. I kind of went into that press briefing expecting to be wowed by new games demonstrating theses concepts and the examples they showed have potential but nothing that made the whole concept click.

The asynchronous gameplay potential is cool. I would hope that the Zelda demo they showed would do more than move the interface to the controller's screen as I could see interesting uses for puzzle solving where you could do something like point the controller at the tv in order to see hidden objects or control something on the controller screen while maneuvering Link on the TV.

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369  Edited By Raineko

I am totally amazed, this thing impresses me more than the Wii and 3DS.
    But what really pisses me off are all those comments like "the graphics are still the same? fail" especially on gametrailers, where people don't get that this is a new console not just a new controller for the Wii.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370  Edited By justicejanitor

Looks... interesting. Stupid name thought, I'm calling it the Wü.

Avatar image for deactivated-60339640361ae
    deactivated-60339640361ae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the fucking fuck? Nintendongs.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#372  Edited By VisariLoyalist

I... I just... I... I gotta go guys... 

Avatar image for arrested_developer
    Arrested_Developer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snoozefest. People reacted more to the Wii U being able to play current gen third party games than the controller, that should tell you all you need to know.

Selftest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#374  Edited By Selftest

Terrible name, but... 

This COULD be interesting. If handled correctly. Still not really convinced it's something I want. 

skunkdragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#375  Edited By skunkdragon

The last Nintendo product i bought was a 2nd hand SNES and the only Nintendo product i would buy is, a 2nd hand SNES. WIIfuckU !!!  I've played the WII it's pants.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#376  Edited By wrighteous86

@Cybexx said:

I'm still a bit iffy on WiiU. I kind of went into that press briefing expecting to be wowed by new games demonstrating theses concepts and the examples they showed have potential but nothing that made the whole concept click.

The asynchronous gameplay potential is cool. I would hope that the Zelda demo they showed would do more than move the interface to the controller's screen as I could see interesting uses for puzzle solving where you could do something like point the controller at the tv in order to see hidden objects or control something on the controller screen while maneuvering Link on the TV.

They'd probably allow you to write on the map or draw symbols like the DS Zelda games, in addition to aiming projectiles with your controller and using the camera for things like the Eye of Truth. I just thought of those things after a few seconds, so I'm sure they'll do more than just put the inventory on there.

Just thought that this would be cool for games like Black Ops where you can place a stationary camera, and have that camera feed on your controller while you're playing on the screen.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@mnzy said:

@MindOST said:
    If there's one thing gamers love to do, it's bitch, moan, and cut their collective wrists over every little thing. E3 makes me love games, but it makes me HATE gamers with a passion.
    Pretty much this. If you look at this E3 with a little distance it's pretty amazing what has been shown overall.

True. And just watch. After E3 is over, people will stop bitching and be super excited for all this stuff. People really like to bitch during E3 for some reason.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#378  Edited By Gabriel

But is the controller under 249.99?

oasisbeyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#379  Edited By oasisbeyond

<I> Wiiew Wiiew is the sound police sirens make lol ^ ^</I>

Right when I read this comment, I hear sirens from outside my room. But it was more like uuuuuwiiiiii uwwiiiiiiiiiii. Maybe it was an ambulance.

Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
    Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It looks neat, but without any tech info or game announcements my ass is planted firmly on the fence. Fool me once Nintendo.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#381  Edited By Gabriel

Wii U like to play?

positrark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382  Edited By positrark

It seemed dumb during the announcement, but people seem to enjoy the demos, so this could be the Wii all over again. It seems like the kind of tech you have to experience.

The name though is dumb. I understand the need to continue with the Wii brand name, but Wii U is soo god damn markety. Soon all Nintendo consoles will have names consisting of possibly mispelled pronouns strung together. Coming soon the Wii U I. The console will come in two versions, Wii U I Hii for men and Wii U I Shii for women.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#383  Edited By m1k3

still not sold on the controller. im pretty sure its good tech, but i dont want a tablet.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@mnzy said:

@MindOST said:
    If there's one thing gamers love to do, it's bitch, moan, and cut their collective wrists over every little thing. E3 makes me love games, but it makes me HATE gamers with a passion.

True. And just watch. After E3 is over, people will stop bitching and be super excited for all this stuff. People really like to bitch during E3 for some reason.

I hate when people bitch about people bitching about things. What a bunch of whiny bitches! That said, people who bitch about people who bitch about  people who are bitching about something, are totally cool  in my opinion.
    CraigAA1028

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#385  Edited By CraigAA1028

Isn't Wii U the sound you make when you're trying to imitate a siren? Wii U Wii U Wii U!

robotmand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386  Edited By robotmand

I see what you did there. Wii U, like in "View".

PizzaSauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387  Edited By PizzaSauce

Okay, I don't want a screen on my controller whilst playing games, a TV suffices just fine. Secondly, why would i want to play my console games in shitty quality on said small/expensive screen. I, like many own my own television which i turn on/off when I want, not when my mammy and daddy decides. I can't get hyped for this console at all, to me, it all looks a bit shit. Yes they may get the same games as 360/PS3, but with what else, a Mario and Pokemon game? No thanks.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#388  Edited By xymox

That thing looks huge and probably uncomfortable for lengthy periods of time. There's a reason gaming moved passed the square controllers of the NES days..

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389  Edited By yakov456

Dude what is the price going to be for one of those "controllers" ? 150? 200?

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#390  Edited By wrighteous86

@yakov456 said:

Dude what is the price going to be for one of those "controllers" ? 150? 200?

If the unfortunate rumor that you can only use one Wiipad at a time is true, that question will be irrelevant, except in cases where you break your controller.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#391  Edited By dagas

That box have a very cheap look to it. It reminds me a budget DVD-player from 2002 or something. The controller looks like an oversized WonderSwan or Game Gear or something.

twelve1784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392  Edited By twelve1784

Living rooms are going to look like shit with those freakish controllers lying around.

Also, Gary Whitta was spot on when he related it to the "Homercar."

positrark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393  Edited By positrark

@Xymox: Yeah, my huge consern is how that thing is to hold for extended periods. I thought Sony made a slight mistake with the PS3 by keeping the controller design from PS2, instead of improving the ergonometry like MS. This seems worse then NES in terms of ergonometry.

Whiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#394  Edited By Whiskeyjack

I know that in the long run the name of the system won't mean a damned thing.. and I really should just get over it (ideally it shouldn't even need getting over) but really, Nintendo? The Wii U?

That controller doesn't look particularly comfortable to hold, but I'd like to believe the ergonomics in it are solid, despite how uncomfortable the Wii remote was went held sideways. I can't see that controller having a great battery life though with a screen that big.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#395  Edited By yakov456
    @Wrighteous86 Hmm interesting. If it's bc with wii games does that mean you can use a wiimote with them or is that yet to be determined?
    jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#396  Edited By jasta

"Hey man, did you bring your Wii U?"

"Hey man, do you own a Wii U?"

"Hey man, this place has a Wii U!"

"Dude, Wii or Wii U? GO!"

"I've got a Wii U, bitches love Wii U"

I don't like the name. =(

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#397  Edited By wrighteous86

@yakov456 said:

@Wrighteous86 Hmm interesting. If it's bc with wii games does that mean you can use a wiimote with them or is that yet to be determined?

Yeah, it's compatible with all Wii controllers, and they've shown 4 Wiimotes and 1 Wiipad connected at the same time.

NaCl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398  Edited By NaCl

Looks interesting.  

But I have never been a fan of dual screens, I have only one pair of eyes, and can only look at one screen at a time. The second screen is basically a waste. Anything on the second screen can be display as a pop-up menu on the main screen.

I suppose it's useful for multiplayer games with inventory or something. Which brings me to the second issue...

How much is that controller going to cost?
    Are we going have to mortgage our houses to enable 2 player? 

Seriously, they might as well just use the 3DS as the controller, instead of creating another one which probably will cost as much as the 3DS. At least the 3DS would be more useful as you can use it as a handheld when outside - and might actually help the 3DS survive too, given that the PSV looks like it would whoop it's ass when it released year end.

DevilishSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#399  Edited By DevilishSix

It is not difficult for a controller to break or wear out, I can't imagine this controller being cheap.  IT has 6.2 touch screen, wiireless, processor for graphics, gyroscope for waggle, rumble, mic, and speakers.  How could this even be under $100 a pop?  It's surely going to be way to expensive for a controller.
    bsavvi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#400  Edited By bsavvi

i didnt even no there was a Box, thought it was like an iPad

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.