Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Anti-Wii bias?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Dalai

This has been bugging me for a little while and has really blown up since E3 this year.  I'm a happy Wii owner and while I think Nintendo has slowed down in big game announcements and kept on pushing the casual games, the Wii gets a bad rap because it's more casual or less powerful than the 360 or PS3.  I can even see it in game journalists who have nothing positive to say about the Wii or simply ignore the Wii in favor of the 360 or PS3.

Do you see the anti-Wii bias, too?  Or is it just me?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Someone hasn't been around for the past 2 years.

YES, there's a lot of bias against the Wii because it isn't as powerful and a lot of people see the controls as gimmicky.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dalai
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Someone hasn't been around for the past 2 years.

YES, there's a lot of bias against the Wii because it isn't as powerful and a lot of people see the controls as gimmicky."
    Well, I knew for a while gamers were pretty much anti-Wii in general, but I'm talking professional journalists and their biases.
    TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Nintendo shouldnt have made the controller look like a TV remote if they wanted to avoid this.

There's hasn't been much to write home about to come out for the Wii since SSBB either.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Vaxadrin

No offense, but this reminds me of Stephen Colbert's "reality has a liberal bias" bit.  The kinds of games that gamers and critics are drawn to are far more prevalent on the other two systems, especially now (post-E3) more than before.  It's a matter of quantity and devoting time, attention, and web space proportionally to that which their audience wants to hear about.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dalai
    Vaxadrin said:
    "No offense, but this reminds me of Stephen Colbert's "reality has a liberal bias" bit.  The kinds of games that gamers and critics are drawn to are far more prevalent on the other two systems, especially now (post-E3) more than before.  It's a matter of quantity and devoting time, attention, and web space proportionally to that which their audience wants to hear about."
    So it's basically a "preaching to the choir" situation.  The 360/PS3/PC crowd has Giant Bomb, IGN, Gamespot, 1UP, and Gametrailers while the Wii crowd looks at who?  Do they go to media outlets that don't specialize in gaming like mainstream media sites or are they simply silent and just find out from word-of-mouth?
    godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By godzilla_sushi

What are they expected to talk about at these sites man? I'm pulling one recent example, just listen to the IGN Nintendo podcast. That group of writers strongly supports and endorses Wii titles all the time. And they can't help but throw their hands in the air! What more can they do when the only thing to talk about is the PS2 port of the week. Or Sonic for the Master System. Storage capacity...you have to realize that these sites have readers who care about things like that. They cater to that crowd. They could talk about anything, but who would be listening then? Even I get frustrated that people can't experience more from the Virtual Console.

Those discussions aren't unfounded, and unfortunate. I can't call it a bias when those sites you list always praise Boom Blocks, or Mario Galaxy, or Okami, or any of those titles. It's just that beyond that, they don't have the audience for a casual capacity.

Of course, I'm not here to argue the point that the Wii is getting less coverage lately, it really is being ignored somewhat. But I am arguing that it's not a bias.

:)

larco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By larco

Well I think that most of this so-called bias is valid and based on real experiences. Every game that is made by a third party on the Wii is either crap, or a port of a last gen game. This could change with The Conduit but that still is only one game.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By whackmypinata

Nintendo made something innovative and different. Hate it, or love it. Most people love it.

Avatar image for pirate_republic
    pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By pirate_republic

Professional journalists enjoy games that they like. Fancy that. They are therefore hardcore, and enjoy that type of game. The Wii is mostly Mario this and Mario that, and they don't/can't appreciate that as much as the much more powerful other systems.

DrVanNostren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By DrVanNostren

The Wii compared to the other consoles seems to have and unbelievably high rate of crap games. That's because it has the largest market share so anyone wanting to spit out a game to make some money puts it on Wii.  I haven't bought a Wii game since SSBB. So if it seems like games on the Wii get worse ratings from journalists, its just because the games are worse for the most part.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vaxadrin
    Dalai said:
    "So it's basically a "preaching to the choir" situation.  The 360/PS3/PC crowd has Giant Bomb, IGN, Gamespot, 1UP, and Gametrailers while the Wii crowd looks at who?  Do they go to media outlets that don't specialize in gaming like mainstream media sites or are they simply silent and just find out from word-of-mouth?"
    They have Oprah & Good Morning America.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yes, it's evident journalists are also biased, you don't see games like De Blob and Mad World covered as much as Killzone 2 and Banjo.

Even games that we now know are shit, like Too Human or that PS3 FPS, were covered and hyped so much before release with so many interviews, front page media updates, showcases, previews, and why? Because they were hardcore PS3 and 360 titles, that's why. It's the current internet fad I guess.

You don't see them make huge announcements on news sections every time a little new screenshot of Mad World or Little King Story is released even though they are more certain to be GOOD games in the end, and they don't go to the trouble of setting up regular interviews with Wii developers to put on the front pages.

You don't even see them make a mention for announced promising games. Where's Arc Rise Fantasia and Kizuno in the mainstream press? If I didn't visit Japanese pages like Famitsu I wouldn't know they exist. What about Cursed Mountain, it was unveiled @ GC08 with a trailer but nobody reported it, instead they raved about yet another showing of Killzone 2, what the fuck? Haven't we seen enough of that, it's been a yearly attraction in game shows and it's STILL not out.

They only seem to cover the WIi just to "cover everything" instead of because they see they'd actually play its games. They go with the internet fad flow of Wii bashing for the most part too, just look @ the latest NIntendo news on this site, Nintendo says they have core games coming after "early 2009" and the writer decides to spin it as "games coming in 2010 and 2011" and then mention an unrelated event, the E3 conference everyone loves to hate, even though we've established E3 is now a crappy, irrelevant and insignificant event, to round his point. Again, what the fuck?

This page is decent for getting Wii news, just skip through the fanboy or irrelevant posts, filter the titles with your eyes and click on what seems interesting:
    http://www.wiinintendo.net/wiifeed/

But you'll still miss things if you don't learn to browse the likes of Famitsu.com or even company websites like Sega.jp for example, sad but true. Bloggers do an ok job of reporting new stuff though so if you don't have much time to look things up, the page I linked is good enough for the most part.

The Wii only gets the most crap games because it gets the most games period. Thanks to its popularity, it's the PS1 or PS2 of this generation. Still, rating good games badly, or not even bothering to review the Wii versions, or not even mentioning new games at all, is inexcusable.

Nik_NYG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nik_NYG

List the games coming out within the next year and tell me the list isn't shit.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r

They've been listed, go to the other thread asking if 2009 is the year of the wii if you want to continue your senseless bashing. This isn't about fanboy anti wii bias, the guy was aware of that already, so you aren't contributing anything whatsoever to this thread.

Nik_NYG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nik_NYG

I've already posted in that thread. And the list is nothing more than mediocre. I'm not even close to a fanboy.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Al3xand3r

Okay, I guess established developers cooking up new IPs just makes all upcoming games mediocre. And yet people trust those same devs for their other consoles.

Sky Crawlers. It's a Namco Ace Combat team flight game, it's based on a popular anime, it looks similar in style to Crimson Skies which was a grand game but nah, it'll be mediocre, why would it be good?

Mad World. It's made by the God Hand and Okami developers but nah, it will be mediocre, even though the team's games are always quality for their genre. But this one's on Wii, it'll be shit.

Little King Story. Experienced developers of established popular games like WoW and Harvest Moon, a unique concept that sounds like a real time version of Heroes of Might & Magic, a charming storybook look and styling, but no, it's on Wii, it WILL be mediocre.

Tenchu 4. A return to the development team of the original two games, which were arguably the best, and the series went downhill after, but no, it's a Wii game, it will be crap.

PES 09. 08 got great reviews on Wii despite lacking in features thanks to the innovative intuitive controls but hey, why should people acknowledge it? Let's just say 09 will be mediocre, to keep the Wii trend.

Fatal Frame IV, already released in Japan with GREAT reviews, despite a few glitches left within the game, but no, it will be shit when it's released in English with all the bugs fixed, because it's on Wii.

Wario, shit, all Wario games have were some of the best platformers ever since the GameBoy days, through Advance and DS, but on Wii? Mediocre.

Etc. All the games mentioned in that thread are very promising and look very good so far, people like you bash them without any reasoning whatsoever considering the established quality developers of them and the fact it's evident more effort is put into them than the average title. This is only a tiny sampling to demonstrate the flawed logic of the senseless bashers. What exactly do they have to back their claims? Oh right they just go "HERE'S A BANJO SCREENSHOT, THESE GAMES LOOKS CRAP COMPARED, EVEN THOUGH RARE HASN'T MADE A TRULY GREAT GAME SINCE THE N64 DAYS, THIS WILL OWN EVERYTHING ON WII, AND I DON'T CARE SUPER MARIO GALAXY IS ONE OF THE FINEST GAMES OF THIS GENERATION SO GO DIE WII OWNERS HAHAHAHAHAH" or something along those lines. Logic.

JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By JoeH

The answer is simple for journalists, they care about hot stories. And the truth of the matter is that there are far more people who will go crazy for Resistance 2 or Fable 2 or anything on PS3 or 360 than there are people who will go crazy over Wii games, mainly because the Wii is a casual games console.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well, they sure care to bash anything about the Wii (again like the latest Wii news on this site, which go to extra lengths to bash it) because it is a hot story that gets a lot of attention and comments by owners of the other systems who seem to spend more time posting about the Wii than their own. So hhy can't journalists just be objective like journalists are meant to be and report good Wii stories and let the idiot fanboys do the bashing? They don't need their support for it, they do it anyway...

Meresin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Meresin

It's hard to game on a system that can manage 720p resolution with excellent texture quality and high-poly models, yet still respect what is essentially a PS2 with a motion controller. I don't mean to be offensive, but I think that's the primary reason for most "core" gamers and journalists alike...The Wii's graphics are just plain hard to look at when you've been spoiled by high-def games. The same can be said of Blu-ray...People that've never seen a Blu-ray movie and experienced the excellent picture quality and superb sound are perfectly happy with their DVDs, but I don't know a single person that owns a PS3 and still buys DVDs over Blu-ray.

I will admit, however, that I kinda understand the system's popularity. Like it or not, the motion controller is a vastly easier control mechanism to pick up and play than a dual thumbstick controller. Having recently made the jump from PC gaming to a PS3, I know how hard it can be to get used to a controller when you've never used one before. Providing a control mechanism with a much lower learning curve was a really good move on Nintendo's part, and I hope to see something similar from the other two console manufacturers eventually. I have a feeling that the 360 and PS3 would open up to a whole new audience if they had more intuitive controls as well.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Al3xand3r

I'm mainly a PC gamer, I assure you my current set up allows me to play games looking much more detailed and crisper than anything on 360 and PS3, many of the same games even (COD4, Bioshock, Gears of War, Mass Effect for example, these games also control better on PC),  and yet I have no trouble enjoying an aesthetically pleasing low res game like Super Mario Galaxy on Wii or Shadow of the Colossus on the PS2, games which have yet to be topped by anything in the respective genres on the supposed true next gen platforms. I guess I'm not a core gamer if I can do that? Bullshit really.

Your movies comparison is done wrong, you get the same movies except with crispier resolutions so if you have access to Blu Ray why would you get DVDs? The Wii situation is different, the Wii's worthy offerings are mostly unique exclusive games (like my few examples in the last post) so you can't just say "I get the same game but better looking on PS3" or something. It would be a more valid comparison to say that, for example, Gattaca (were it a new movie) is an amazing movie worthy of a purchase by anyone even though it's only on DVD and not Blu Ray. While the senseless bashers would jump in to say "WTF?! GATTACA IS SHIT, GO GET SPIDERMAN 4 INSTEAD, IT'S SO CRISP ON BLU RAY" or something. That's the situation here, not what you described.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By SSbabel

Its because the other fanboys are jealous that the Wii is out selling the other consoles.

Meresin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Meresin
    Al3xand3r said:
    I guess I'm not a core gamer if I can do that? Bullshit really.
    Stereotypes never speak for everyone. There's a reason someone's always offended by them...Like you. :P You asked for a reason, and I gave you one. You don't have to like it for it to be an accurate assessment.

Al3xand3r said:
    Your movies comparison is done wrong
    The comparison holds up, because there's nothing that the Wii can do with its control scheme that can't simply be implemented differently on the other two consoles through creative use of the controllers. In fact, it could be argued that the dual thumstick controllers are far more precise than the Wiimote in its current incarnation, much like the mouse is more precise than dual thumbstick controllers. Wiimotion Plus might change that, but that's not out yet.

Al3xand3r
    said:
    The Wii situation is different, the Wii's worthy offerings are mostly unique exclusive games
    Having Mario on the box doesn't make the games unique. :P
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Al3xand3r

No, your Blu Ray comparison really doesn't hold up. Things COULD be implemented in vastly different ways which make for a different game, see PES on standard consoles and on Wii. But even though they COULD be implemented, they aren't. Mad World, Little King Story, Space Invaders Get Even, Sky Crawlers, Sonic & the Black Knight, Arc Rise Fantasia, Cursed Mountain, Fatal Frame, Tenchu, and countless other games aren't coming to other systems. So, the theory of "could" doesn't mean much when it just doesn't happen. The Wii's library of worthy games is still exclusives, vastly different to having the same movie (as opposed to a movie of the same genre) released on both DVD and Blu-Ray which makes the choice obvious for people with access to both.

Meresin
    said:

Al3xand3r said:
    The Wii situation is different, the Wii's worthy offerings are mostly unique exclusive games (like my few examples in my last post)
    Having Mario on the box doesn't make the games unique. :P"
    Oh, sorry, I thought I was having a rational discussion for once, I didn't realise you're one of those people, misquoting me and taking something out of context to make a stupid quote (you did skip the parenthesis I added above) but calling the WIi a PS2 should have been enough of a hint, I just decided to ignore that for the sake of a decent disussion. My bad, carry on by yourself. For the record, first party games weren't even mention in the post I meant where you (mis)quote med, not that they shouldn't be as they're also unique and exclusive titles, unless you want to take this also out of context in which case nothing is unique on any system as genres have been the same since the 8/16/32/64bit era.
    Earthbounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Earthbounder

The system that is in first place will always get lots of negative bias. If the Wii wwere behind the 360 and the PS3 when it comes to sales do you think people would bash it like crazy?

JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JoeH

For me the wii is just relying on the exact same controls and art directions for their games, i want to see someone do something clever with the wii. Rather than keep churning out cartoony platform games.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By atejas

1- The wii has a disturbing history of failing to deliver
    2- People dont like it when their world changes

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Al3xand3r

Do you even know what's available for the Wii or just go by what you assume must be available on a console that happens to have some cartoony games? Notable platform games are a rare commodity as of now, De Blob will be a welcome addition to the collection. Not that it would be bad if we got more with the Mario Galaxy or Lost Winds quality.

Atejas, I guess I'll go for #2 as the most possible cause then, 1 merely isn't true.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By whackmypinata
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Okay, I guess established developers cooking up new IPs just makes all upcoming games mediocre. And yet people trust those same devs for their other consoles.

Sky Crawlers. It's a Namco Ace Combat team flight game, it's based on a popular anime, it looks similar in style to Crimson Skies which was a grand game but nah, it'll be mediocre, why would it be good?

Mad World. It's made by the God Hand and Okami developers but nah, it will be mediocre, even though the team's games are always quality for their genre. But this one's on Wii, it'll be shit.

Little King Story. Experienced developers of established popular games like WoW and Harvest Moon, a unique concept that sounds like a real time version of Heroes of Might & Magic, a charming storybook look and styling, but no, it's on Wii, it WILL be mediocre.

Tenchu 4. A return to the development team of the original two games, which were arguably the best, and the series went downhill after, but no, it's a Wii game, it will be crap.

PES 09. 08 got great reviews on Wii despite lacking in features thanks to the innovative intuitive controls but hey, why should people acknowledge it? Let's just say 09 will be mediocre, to keep the Wii trend.

Fatal Frame IV, already released in Japan with GREAT reviews, despite a few glitches left within the game, but no, it will be shit when it's released in English with all the bugs fixed, because it's on Wii.

Wario, shit, all Wario games have were some of the best platformers ever since the GameBoy days, through Advance and DS, but on Wii? Mediocre.

Etc. All the games mentioned in that thread are very promising and look very good so far, people like you bash them without any reasoning whatsoever considering the established quality developers of them and the fact it's evident more effort is put into them than the average title. This is only a tiny sampling to demonstrate the flawed logic of the senseless bashers. What exactly do they have to back their claims? Oh right they just go "HERE'S A BANJO SCREENSHOT, THESE GAMES LOOKS CRAP COMPARED, EVEN THOUGH RARE HASN'T MADE A TRULY GREAT GAME SINCE THE N64 DAYS, THIS WILL OWN EVERYTHING ON WII, AND I DON'T CARE SUPER MARIO GALAXY IS ONE OF THE FINEST GAMES OF THIS GENERATION SO GO DIE WII OWNERS HAHAHAHAHAH" or something along those lines. Logic.
    "
    You're essentially saying every game sucks because it's on the Wii.
    That's a horrible argument, why not try backing it up?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Al3xand3r

... Dude, I'm glad you feel like that but maybe read the whole discussion since I came in because I think you misunderstood me, I've been defending the Wii, and yes, your question is exactly what I ask also, why do people think these will be bad, other than they're on the Wii, when all things we know so far point that they will be good games since they're made by good developers and so far look good, etc.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By atejas
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Do you even know what's available for the Wii or just go by what you assume must be available on a console that happens to have some cartoony games? Notable platform games are a rare commodity as of now, De Blob will be a welcome addition to the collection."

Wait, are you talking to me?
    I'm fully aware of NMH, and Madworld, ad Overkill, and Conduit
    Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Vaxadrin
    Al3xand3r said:
    "... Dude, I'm glad you feel like that but maybe read the whole discussion since I came in because I think you misunderstood me, I've been defending the Wii, and yes, your question is exactly what I ask also, why do people think these will be bad, other than they're on the Wii, when all things we know so far point that they will be good games since they're made by good developers and so far look good, etc."
    I think the pre-judgements of not yet released Wii games are based on two things...the track record of the Wii so far, and the technical limitations of it.  It's hard to get excited for a new Wii FPS when it's pretty much a given that things like AI, physics, graphics, and online play will, in all likelihood, not hold a candle to the competition.
    JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JoeH

Yes I do and I don't see anything remotely interesting nor even revolutionary. They've replaced button mashing with stick waving.

I blame this solely on Nintendo 's from ages 1-100 age thing, I want games designed for my demographic. I don't care other people find some of it offensive, I want good games, I want innovation, I want art.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Among who, idiots on forums or the big game review sites?

On forums, sure. There are biases against every console. So many jackasses. The Wii is the highest selling console, it's naturally going to be the most exciting thing for those types of people to ramble on about.

On video game review sites, not so much. The fact that every single fanboy of every "group" perceives an entrenched "Anti-X" bias within every one of these sites should tell you something, every console is subject to at least some degree of fair, legitimate criticism. If you lean closer to the Nintendo side of things you're likely to be way more sensitive to the legitimate Wii critiques, perceiving them as biased slant. It's not likely these sites that have blatant biases, it's likely you who are biased... and it's affecting how you perceive things.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By ProfessorEss

Hate to hate but I'm pretty much in that Anti-Wii group.

I appreciate what they've done on a purely innovative and original level however I just do not enjoy the Wiimote as an input device. I also find that I grow bored of most of the games within 10-20 minutes.

For me, waving my arms around "takes me out" of the game more than it "puts me into" it. When I play with a regular controller or a mouse and keyboard my hands, and the controller seem to "melt away". I don't acknowledge that I'm hitting "up, left, trigger, trigger, trigger,down", I just do it and the dude on the screen reacts accordingly. This applies to the SIXAXIS as well which is currently my least favourite feature of the PS3 - I hate having to take my eyes off the screen to double check that my controller is currently "level".

As far as "being active" goes, I don't play videogames for that, I walk, bike, play drums or play with my dogs when I wanna be active - I play videogames when I want to play videogames.

JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JoeH

The problem with the wii is its completely missed the point of "next-gen". And I'm not talking about the graphics, honestly I dont care that its not HD. What they've missed is the fact that innovation is more than just the control scheme, especially since all they've done is replace button mashing with stick waving. To innovate gaming, you need to innovate the games.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Vaxadrin
    JoeH said:
    "The problem with the wii is its completely missed the point of "next-gen". And I'm not talking about the graphics, honestly I dont care that its not HD. What they've missed is the fact that innovation is more than just the control scheme, especially since all they've done is replace button mashing with stick waving. To innovate gaming, you need to innovate the games."
    Exactly.  The biggest innovation this generation has been the proliferation of downloadable game services, and the social aspect of online play being prevalent.  Having a friends list that you can send game invites to, jump around between games, and compare achievements and trophies is a much greater innovation than waving the controller up instead of pressing B.  Being able to download a retail quality game for $10 or $15 made by one or two developers is a huge paradigm shift in the industry, much more than paying $10 for old SNES roms and not even having the storage space to save them.  Having complex physics reactions and AI routines improves games much more than having a standard lightgun shipped with every console.

Nintendo's focus has been largely to capture a new audience that's not interested in all of the above.  All the power to them...they've stuck gold and they deserve to be successful as a result.  That's the free market.  However, I don't feel the hardcore gaming press owes them equal attention as the rest because of nostalgia when they're catering to a different demographic entirely.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Al3xand3r

Umm, guess what, Nintendo also has online play, Nintendo also has downloadable games that aren't roms (especially this has been sucessful so how can you claim ppl aren't interested?! And what's wrong with rom services anyway?! PSN tries to do the same with past PS titles), but none of it is innovative because it's been on PC ages now. Yay, it finally arrived on consoles. Big deal, it should have happened last gen, though Microsoft does deserve credit for making XBLA that nice. But let's not act like they invented online gaming and independent developers please.

Also, it's not like you people don't play single player games like Mario Galaxy or Mad World anymore, or games which aren't "PRO ATHLETE COMPETITIVE FPS" in order to be unable to enjoy a round of Battalion Wars 2 or Strikers online even with the admitedly limited service. Or is this kind of single player or not 100% online gaming now "nostalgic" and nothing else? I think not. So, yes, the gaming press should cover the Wii experiences just as thoroughly, not because they owe it to any company but because I and others like me are still gamers and the casual and core gamer overlap more than you might think, as much as even not existing as separate groups in many cases.

Anyway, Wii owners' gripes aren't valid criticisms (yes, Nintendo need to improve their online gaming experiences, no shit, we want that also) it's that the good experiences the Wii offers aren't presented as thoroughly as on other systems and that people dismiss good games coming to the Wii as mediocre for no reason other than them being on the Wii. When people present lists of 20+ promising games from proven developers up for discussion and you see a flood of fanboys that don't have the system just pop in the thread to bash them as 1000000 times worse than Banjo or MGS, it really makes you facepalm mankind, you know?

So called track record is a bullshit excuse also, if people are as "core" gamers as they claim then they have enough experience to be able to tell the promising titles apart. Sure, sometimes you can be fooled but that happens for every system, look at Haze and Too Human coverage half a year before their release...

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Umm, guess what, Nintendo also has online play."

Well, sort of.
    Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Vaxadrin
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Umm, guess what, Nintendo also has online play, Nintendo also has downloadable games that aren't roms (especially this has been sucessful so how can you claim ppl aren't interested?!), but none of it is innovative because it's been on PC ages now. Yay, it finally arrived on consoles. Big deal, it should have happened last gen, it's nothing to write home about though Microsoft does deserve credit for making XBLA that nice. But let's not act like they invented online gaming and independent developers please."
    Well, I thought we were talking about consoles specifically?  ...because PC games had shitty graphics and motion controls long before the Wii, so I guess it's not so innovative after all by your standards. :P

In all seriousness, though, nobody's saying Microsoft or Sony invented online gaming or independent developers, they've simply proliferated them for mass market consumption, which itself is an innovation.  The reason XBL & PSN are so popular is because people don't have to open up Steam, Ventrilo, and their game, it's all built into a single interface.  That has completely changed the console landscape.  The success of XBLA & PSN games have given a venue for indie developers to get noticed and be given more resources with games that otherwise would likely have been unnoticed and released for free on some lonely corner of the internet.  It's absurd to dismiss the point by putting words in my mouth that that they "invented" independent developers.

Wiiware feels as much of a me-too attempt as Microsoft shoehorning in Avatars and Sony putting motion control in the Sixaxis.  The 40 megabyte size limit and no storage solution anywhere on the horizon has pretty much doomed it to irrelevance from the get-go.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Al3xand3r

So all the good released and upcoming WiiWare titles mean the service is doomed, okay, thanks, I'll file that under the "Wii is a fad" type of talk I was hearing about a year ago. Also, if you remember, XBLA games used to have a 50mb limit, while WiiWare developers already bypass the 40mb limit by making their game available in chunks, like the upcoming Space Invaders Get Even. Yes, a storage solution is needed, no, the service isn't doomed without it.

WiiWare is far from a me too, it's basically VC (which you can't argue they stole) for new games with the exact same well designed interface, not an attempt to copy anyone. Is PSN copying Nintendo because they offer PS1 titles through it?

Also, I'll have you know I never said I want the media to present Wii as innovative, I merely say it's obvious bias that big promising Wii games don't get the exposure other systems' even lesser titles get, or that I have to browse obscure Japanese pages to find out about AAA looking games like Arc Rise Fantasia and Kizuno or whatever it's spelled. Reasoning like the journalists holding a grudge because the Wii is popular with casuals is stupid, Sony fans used to be the casuals in the eyes of the hardcores who rooted for Sega's and Nintendo's underdogs back in the 32 bit (or so) days.

This is the kind of bullshit attitude we despise, from talking about bias like games not getting coverage, games told they look shit even if they're promising from good developers, game announcements not appearing on any mainstream sites like this, we now end up discussing how much this or that company innovates in their games and of course what the other companies did good this generation is worthy of praise while the Wii for not doing the same is again the shit system despite all the good games it has already and all the promising upcoming games people have pointed out many times now.  Whatever.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Vaxadrin
    Al3xand3r said:
    "So all the good released and upcoming WiiWare titles mean the service is doomed, okay, thanks, I'll file that under the "Wii is a fad" type of talk I was hearing about a year ago."
    This kind of triviliaization is completely juvenile.  If you want to have an intelligent conversation about the subject at hand, that's fine, but as soon as anyone says something you disagree with, you immediately put it down and blow it off as ridiculous.  That will neither convince anyone of the points you are trying to make, nor will it spur any quality conversation about the subject at hand.

Al3xand3r said:
    "Also, I'll have you know I never said I want the media to present Wii as innovative, I merely say it's obvious bias that big promising Wii games don't get the exposure other systems even lesser titles get, or that I have to browse obscure Japanese pages to find out about AAA looking games like Arc Rise Fantasia and Kizuno or whatever it's spelled.."
    The reason for that being there's no English PR media released for those games.  The gaming press largely regurgitates information given to them by publishers about the games.  Perhaps your real grudge, then, is with those in charge of marketing those Wii games not appropriately pimping them to the level you think they deserve.  I've seen plenty of media across all sites for games like Mushroom Men and Madworld, just as I did for Boom Blox and Mario Galaxy before.  It's a matter of statistical proportions.  There are exponentially more games on the PS360 that those who browse the gaming press sites are interested in, so they're going to get more front page real estate.

Besides, if you'd found your data on the game you were searching for (through said obscure sites), what's the problem?  Do you need a front page Giant Bomb article about Arc Rise Fantasia in order to vindicate your anticipation for it?

Al3xand3r said:
    "This is the kind of bullshit attitude we despise, from talking about bias like games not getting coverage, games told they look shit even if they're promising from good developers, game announcements not appearing on any mainstream sites like this, we now end up discussing how much this or that company innovates in their games and of course what the other companies did good this generation is worthy of praise while the Wii for not doing the same is again the shit system despite all the good games it has already and all the promising upcoming games people have pointed out many times now."
    You lost me.  Are you saying now that you hate the discussion you're propogating?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Al3xand3r

Maybe I browse obscure japanese sites because the mainstream sites don't do decent coverage, it shouldn't be hard to guess. What's next, you'll tell me I can e-mail Sega to ask them all the questions I want about Mad World and THQ about De Blob so it's okay if the mainstream media don't interview Wii developers? It's not my fault you're being ridiculous, I did respond properly to other people who weren't quite as much if you'll care to notice that.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Vaxadrin

I'm being completely blunt and logical with you and you're slinging ad hominem attacks at me.  How am I being ridiculous?

I stated, quite clearly, that it's a matter of PR giving information to the gaming press, and there's plenty of media about Mad World & De Blob to be found all over.  What exactly is spurring this sense of entitlement in you?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Al3xand3r

Okay, you're not being ridiculous, I'm sorry, you only call WiiWare doomed despite new games coming on it all the time, you only tell me it's okay if journalists (games journalists here, they exist for every subject, regardless of your personal semantics on the subject) don't report stuff because I can find it out via obscure foreign websites I've learnt to browse exactly because Wii coverage is so limited in mainstream (yes, 1up, Gamespot, Gamespy, etc are mainstream, not hardcore) sites, you think the journalists' job is to sit and wai for the stories to come to them, you've called "shitty graphics" the defining characteristic of Wii (when you said PCs did it "first"), and that because Nintendo attracted more people in gaming it's okay sites don't cover them much because they don't owe them anything. And after all that you tell me I'm the one trivialising issues. How were these issues any kind of response to the main discussion going on here anyway, about how people are negative about actually promising games, it's the games that matter more than anything anyway, or so I thought.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Vaxadrin

Not at all, but I don't think that gaming press are "journalists".  They're media outlets & critics, like a digital amalgamation of Entertainment Weekly & Roger Ebert.

Journalists cover wars, ya know.

Again, you're reducing specific elements of what I'm saying to trivialize statements that completely disregard the points I was trying to make, putting words in my mouth.

[edit] Also, nice lengthy edit.  For the record, I was responding to the comment above me, which previously said simply "Wow journalists must have it easy then, just telling us stuff other people tell them."

JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JoeH

I've got to agree with Vaxadrin, the game press aren't journalists, they're just big kids who have the best job in the world. Their passion commits them to write about things,so they only write about things their passionate about. And well the passionate Nintendo crowd are limited, because well let's all be honest here, its reasonably difficult to get passionate about mario.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Al3xand3r

And the trolling goes on and on, hah. Oh well, Mario sales prove your bitching wrong, so do the reviews by the journalists you claim are unpassionate about it. Must be a pretty damn sweet game if people so unpassionate rate it so well.

Also, kids? Not real journalists? I didn't see you guys call all the staff here kids when they were getting giant bomb ready for you... of course, you might try to make the "kid" sound like a good thing now, even though so far you imply they merely don't do a job but just sit and wait for the stories to come to them and write about only the games they like. Meh.

Also, since when do examples of behaviour have to become a list of ALL games out there which don't get their due coverage? The fact is, the Wii is constantly shunned by everyone for lacking this or that genre, but when games of said genre are announced, it doesn';t get nearly enough coverage, instead we keep hearing about Killzone and LPB, like there's anything more to know about those games after seeing them three times over in every annual game con. I don't think that's the same with one or two 360 games slipping through the cracks. Also, I mentioned more than just Japanese games if you care to read my post, let's not forget even the E3 and GC coverage where people still act as if almost no Wii games were on the showfloor, because everyone just stuck to the conference and ignored what was actually available to view or play, aside from one or two games they deemed "worthy" like Mad World thanks to its blood.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
    Al3xand3r said:
    "you only tell me it's okay if journalists (games journalists here, they exist for every subject, regardless of your personal semantics on the subject) don't report stuff because I can find it out via obscure foreign websites I've learnt to browse exactly because Wii coverage is so limited in mainstream (yes, 1up, Gamespot, Gamespy, etc are mainstream, not hardcore) ."

Your "evidence" as to how the mainstream gaming press is biased against the Wii is the treatment given to two Japanese-only video games?

The sites you're referring to are non-Japanese sites that mainly provide news, coverage, and ultimately reviews that serve as reference points that enable consumers to decide whether or not to purchase/rent/skip the video games they cover. If you can't figure out why their coverage of two obscure Japanese-only Wii releases is scant then you need to tighten your screws, and if you're suggesting this lack of coverage for games that aren't available to the consumers they cater to constitutes a biased approach to their coverage of the industry then you're the one being ridiculous.

All consoles get the same treatment in this regard. Phantom Dust wasn't covered or reviewed by Gamespot until it was announced and eventually released in the North American territories, for example (and that was a enormous-budget, first party Microsoft affair with a lot of "noise" surrounding it overseas.)

Maybe you need to consider the possibility
    JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JoeH

No offense, but the guys on this site are the biggest kids in the world, they're awesome! I'm talking passion for a game before it's, waiting with bated breath at each tradeshow waiting for a trickle of information, character bio, story, influence, concept art. Not just the game, but the mythology, the idea of the game itself.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.